Sign in with
Your question
Solved

No boot into bios...?

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
August 18, 2012 11:58:11 AM

I currently run a Phenom II X2 555 BE (HDZ555WFK2DGM(BE)) on an ASRock 890GX Extreme3. I originally bought the Phenom X2 knowing about the 2 masked cores and figured it was a good gamble as the ASRock has a UCC utility to unlock extra cores.

Tried everything over a year ago to unlock and had no success, so I figured cores three and four were truly broken and stopped trying. Besides, at the time, 2 cores standard at 3.2 GHz easily OC'd up to ~3.6 GHz just changing the multiplyer it seemed quite fast to me - over a year ago - when most software was not even able to UTILIZE more than two ores anyway...

Well now I saw the tried and true Phenom II X4 965 BE at Newegg for a mere $89.99 and I could not pass it up. It arrived yesterday and I couldn't wait to get it in. Installed last night after work and was totally let down when it wouldn't even run the bios on start. Power supply came up normal, all case fans operating, FireGL 7600 PCIe powered up fine and I heard at least one hard drive spin up, but no video to either monitor. Powered down and checked for all the usual - connections all tight, no smoke emanating from components, etc. Removed video card and plugged one monitor into onboard Radeon HD4850 and repeated power up. Nothing new. Just no video, but all lights and fans just fine.

Don't know what to do except send it back...the mobo lists the exact processor as compatable using all versions of the bios.

Any ideas?

More about : boot bios

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 18, 2012 12:02:27 PM

Reset the CMOS memory the right way as is described in the motherboard manual using the clear CMOS link with the power cord unplugged.
And when the battery is out, press the power button to discharge all the electricity from the system.
How To Clear CMOS @ http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmo...

August 18, 2012 2:32:25 PM

I'lll try the thorough method when I get back from work today...
When i put the original Phenom II X2 back in, everything started up , taking me into the cmos setup as though the setup had been cleared. I DID have to go through and change the settings to my "normal" state , even the date had been cleared, so I was assuming that I had cleared it correctly...
good video though - very explanatory.
m
l
Related resources
August 25, 2012 5:04:07 AM

Best answer selected by stvntylr.
m
l
August 25, 2012 5:17:39 AM

nikorr said:
Reset the CMOS memory the right way as is described in the motherboard manual using the clear CMOS link with the power cord unplugged.
And when the battery is out, press the power button to discharge all the electricity from the system.
How To Clear CMOS @ http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmo...

:bounce: 
Thanks again! I assumed that having turned off and unplugged the power supply AND setting the CLR CMOS jumper to CLR and back would be enough to do the job of clearing. Evidently this only superficially cleared it, because when I did what you said on tiop of that (removing the battery and pressing the power button while jumpered), it booted up with no problems, loaded some drivers and asked to be restarted, at which point I went back in to the bios and adjusted my settings.

Working like a charm now, thanks.

stvntylr
m
l
!