Sign in with
Your question

WTB 750w PSU

Last response: in Components
August 18, 2012 1:29:22 PM

im in the market for a 750watt PSU. the trouble Im having is I keep finding ones with mixed reviews and before I spend money on something I would like a bit of a guarantee that it wont leave me stranded a week later. Any suggestions?

More about : wtb 750w psu

Related resources
August 18, 2012 4:11:47 PM

CPU AMD 955T BE
MOBO SOME TYPE OF EVO CROSSFIRE READY ONE, I DONT HAVE ACCESS TO IT ATM IM AT WORK
250G HD
4G RAM
GPU- SAPPHIRE RADEON 6870HD

FAN COOLED, UH..... I THINK THATS ABOUT IT, IF YOU DEFINITELY NEED THE MOBO ILL POST AGAIN AFTER 6P EST.

P.S. WOULD LIKE AN IN-CASE ONE AND AROUND $100 IS FINE i GUESS
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 18, 2012 5:44:55 PM

This components require a 500W PSU only.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 18, 2012 7:14:44 PM

Just for comparision; My I5-2500k (@4.2), 16 Gigs ram, one HDD, 2 SSDs, One Blure ray BE-RE drive, and a 6870 Running Furmark only draws 350 Watts total.

a GOOD 450 Watt to 600 is great. A 650 Watt Corsair (Not Cs) would be an excellent choice if latter pairing a 2nd GPU for Xfire.
m
l
August 18, 2012 7:55:17 PM

Something must be wrong with my setup then. I keep getting a driver malfunction and restart anytime I try doing anything graphi intensive
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 18, 2012 8:03:59 PM

Most likely is a driver issue.
But no Harm in verifying your +12 V rail.
Using a software program, such as HWMonitor, note the +12 V at idle.
The run Prime 95 and note reading. Both should be above 11.6 V (MIN spec is 11.4V) and the diff between Idle and load should not differ by more than 0.3 V.
If MB came with a utility to display the +12, use it.
m
l
August 19, 2012 3:43:23 AM

I've been around the bend with the driver thing though. I've updated and reinstalled and updated again. I even bricked the GPU and reflashed it back to life with the most current firmware update. Tomorrow Ill be able to access the pc in question, I wasnt able to get to it tonight regrettably.
m
l
August 19, 2012 3:59:04 PM

RetiredChief said:
Most likely is a driver issue.
But no Harm in verifying your +12 V rail.
Using a software program, such as HWMonitor, note the +12 V at idle.
The run Prime 95 and note reading. Both should be above 11.6 V (MIN spec is 11.4V) and the diff between Idle and load should not differ by more than 0.3 V.
If MB came with a utility to display the +12, use it.

I used OCCT and you are right the 12+ reading was at 12.2xx at idle and under full load went to 12.1xx and maintained the entire time, but as soon as I placed it under a full load the screen did the usual blackout then comeback with a message in the corner that the display driver stopped and had to restart

so where to go to solve this driver issue? any suggestions?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 5:51:06 PM

is your mobo evo had VGA onboard ???
m
l
August 19, 2012 5:52:55 PM

henydiah said:
is your mobo evo had VGA onboard ???

no, it does not
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 5:59:33 PM

or under overclock system CPU and GPU ??
m
l
August 19, 2012 6:43:17 PM

Im sorry I do not understand the under overclock part of the question. I do not overclock. So far all I've done is plugged everything in and tried to get it working correctly. The GPU was the latest addition. I've had this display driver problem since I've plugged it in.
m
l
August 20, 2012 1:23:19 AM

Solved:

So today I wiped the pc and reinstalled windows7 to start with a clean slate. I first used windows to update the driver and the problem persisted. I used the manufacture catalyst download to update and the problem was still there. Finally I looked at my setup and realized this: I have this tower that I saved from going to the dump. Its proven to be a flaming piece and I remembered that I could only secure the video card with one screw and that was only slightly anyway because the threads on the only hole that would grab were pretty beat up and the screw would just spin and spin. So here is this tower standing upright causing this huge video card to support all of its weight through the slot its plugged in at. So I rearranged the tower to lay down and I reseated the video card. Havent seen the problem since.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 10:44:23 AM

That's the thing about uncommon problems - nobody goes there -and why would they. Glad you figured it out.
-Bruce
m
l
August 22, 2012 12:39:29 AM

well I thought it was figured out. But apparently it has more to do with updates. Last night when I shut the computer off windows had to finish installing 119 updates :o  . so today when I go to play a game I get the display driver stop and restart error again. I haven't moved or knocked the case at all so I know its not the seating. Its gotta be some basic update with windows. Last night I don't remember updating windows I just updated a bit of the creative sound card, could that be it? I tried to roll back the display driver today and got a blue screen. ugh.
m
l
!