Sign in with
Your question

Need Advice For New Desktop/HTPC Combo

Last response: in Systems
May 4, 2012 4:35:28 AM

Hi, all. I've been running the same 3.4ghz dual-core build since '05, and I need something new. Basically I want a nice, brand new build that I am going to use for home(internet, very light gaming, basic home pc uses), but I am also going to connect to a 50" HDTV and home audio system to watch videos and Blu-rays from. So I guess it will be close to an htpc but will be my desktop pc, too. This is in the early stages so I have a few components picked so far, and I wanted to get some opinions on them. I am going to purchase a piece every few weeks because I can't outright buy them all right now but can buy one at a time.

Approximate Purchase Date: will buy a component every few weeks until everything is bought

Budget Range: $1,200(of course I don't want to go that high, but I can)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: basic home desktop functions, internet, connect to hdtv and watch movies & videos

Parts Not Required: everything is required; building from ground up

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon, am open to others

Parts Preferences: I would prefer an Asus mobo, an Intel quad-core cpu

Overclocking: I don't overclock

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: I don't have a preference, but something nice

Additional comments: I don't care for on-board audio, but the board I chose has it. If I could find an equal board with no on-board audio I would be okay with that. I will be buying a video card and audio card. I will also buy an external hdd for storage but have an hdd internal with OS on it.

Here's what I have so far:

Intel Core i7-2700K Sandy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623i72700K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan

I welcome any suggestions and/or opinions. Thanks for any help!
May 4, 2012 5:42:52 AM

the i-7 cpu is overkill for light gaming and movie watching. the i-5 2500 or 2400 will have plenty of power and save you some cash for the video card or the blueray player. for ram 8 gig kit will be fine. if you can try and snage before there gone the 6870.
there a great card at the price there at now. if not buy the gpu last so when the nvidia 660/670 come out the 560 line will drop in price. you could also turn the old pc into a network storage. just wipe the drive and load free server software of your chose. then just add the new drive to that case. i would spend the extra money and put an ssd drive as the os boot drive in your new build. they are like night and day to a hard drive when it comes to boot speed and programs loading.
m
l
May 4, 2012 7:47:58 PM

smorizio said:
the i-7 cpu is overkill for light gaming and movie watching. the i-5 2500 or 2400 will have plenty of power and save you some cash for the video card or the blueray player. for ram 8 gig kit will be fine. if you can try and snage before there gone the 6870.
there a great card at the price there at now. if not buy the gpu last so when the nvidia 660/670 come out the 560 line will drop in price. you could also turn the old pc into a network storage. just wipe the drive and load free server software of your chose. then just add the new drive to that case. i would spend the extra money and put an ssd drive as the os boot drive in your new build. they are like night and day to a hard drive when it comes to boot speed and programs loading.

Thanks for the reply!

I would rather have overkill now than get an i5 and want to upgrade something in a couple of years and have a weaker processor. Plus I can afford the i7 right now, so why not.

I'm new to the who ssd thing, so I don't know much about them.
m
l
!