Closed Solved

Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Sound Card energy consumption

http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Surround-5.1/M/B0044DEDCA.htm

I'm thinking of using this card on an Alienware X51 with a 240 watt PSU. Is it safe? How much power does this card draw from the PSU? If 240 watts doesn't cut it, how about 330 watts?

Alienware X51 specs
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2320 Processor (3.0GHz, 6MB Cache, with Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)

Motherboard: Mini-ITX motherboard

Memory: 8GB Dual Channel 1333 Mhz DDR3 - 2 DIMMS

Hard drive: 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing

Video card: 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545

Optical drive: Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

Other connected accessories:
Mediasonic ProBox 4 Bay Enclosure USB 3.0 & eSATA populated with 4 3TB hard drives
Alienware TactX keyboard and mouse
Dell monitor
Logitech speakers
Netgear wireless USB adapter
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about sound blaster surround sound card energy consumption
  1. It takes next to nothing because the USB connection.
  2. nikorr said:
    It takes next to nothing because the USB connection.

    What do you mean? I failed to interpret anyhting from your answer.
  3. What I am saying, u draw very little power from the USB ports, so it will run just fine.

    If it runs now, it will run with the USB card.

    USB 2.0 can deliver 500 ma at 4.4V - 5.25V
    USB 3.0 can deliver 900 ma at 4.4V - 5.25V


    For your GT 545 (DDR3) = 350W is recommended by manufacture. So, decent 300W PSU will power it just fine.
  4. nikorr said:
    What I am saying, u draw very little power from the USB ports, so it will run just fine.

    If it runs now, it will run with the USB card.

    USB 2.0 can deliver 500 ma at 4.4V - 5.25V
    USB 3.0 can deliver 900 ma at 4.4V - 5.25V


    For your GT 545 (DDR3) = 350W is recommended by manufacture. So, decent 300W PSU will power it just fine.


    Will 240 watts do? I can get a 330 watt PSU but I'd like to save my money.
  5. Whats the make of the 240W PSU? If it is made by Antec or Corsair or Seasonic or such, it may be OK.

    But if its some generic maker, than its on the edge and I would go for 300W PSU

    330W is just more in the ball park.

    Do u play games?

    If yes, than 330W is a must. IMO
  6. nikorr said:
    Whats the make of the 240W PSU? If it is made by Antec or Corsair or Seasonic or such, it may be OK.

    But if its some generic maker, than its on the edge and I would go for 300W PSU

    330W is just more in the ball park.

    Do u play games?

    If yes, than 330W is a must. IMO

    The 240W PSU is made by Dell. So is the 330W. Scroll down this page. (http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1414/pg1/alienware-x51-desktop-review-introduction.html) Maybe you can assess the review in that page for me too? I am reading it too.

    I don't play games at all.
  7. Best answer
    I wouldn't risk it, and would get 330W.

    It will cost little more, but 240W just isn't enough.
  8. nikorr said:
    I wouldn't risk it, and would get 330W.

    It will cost little more, but 240W just isn't enough.

    OK thanks.
  9. Good luck!
  10. Best answer selected by matthew12345.
  11. Good luck!
  12. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Components