Alienware question

Last response: in Systems
May 4, 2012 6:14:55 AM

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/pd.aspx

so i am going to buy the x51,

and i believe that it only takes 1tb of harddrive

i just wonder can i put 2tb or 3tb?

and also can i add the SSD.

the reason why i ask this is because i saw the video on the website and i kind of got scared.. that i couldt put another hardrive or ssd.

since putting a ssd is my major goal.

that is the video that got me SCARED as ****

More about : alienware question

May 4, 2012 7:05:57 AM

Thats a very small case about the size of an xbox .

I doubt t room to make any modifications or add any further hardware .

And the graphics card might be better than a console , but it wont run pc games on high detail settings
May 4, 2012 12:10:21 PM

Outlander_04 said:
Thats a very small case about the size of an xbox .

I doubt t room to make any modifications or add any further hardware .

And the graphics card might be better than a console , but it wont run pc games on high detail settings

ssorry to ofend you did not anwer my question about the ssd addement
Related resources
May 4, 2012 6:50:35 PM

It's unlikely there'll be any space for an SSD and depending on what size HDD they used you may be able to put 2-3TB drives in. However i imagine they used a 2.5" HDD so not 3.5" drives which means no 2-4TB drives either.

"I doubt t room to make any modifications or add any further hardware"

He did answer your question
May 4, 2012 7:07:46 PM

metal orient said:
It's unlikely there'll be any space for an SSD and depending on what size HDD they used you may be able to put 2-3TB drives in. However i imagine they used a 2.5" HDD so not 3.5" drives which means no 2-4TB drives either.

"I doubt t room to make any modifications or add any further hardware"

He did answer your question

WELL SO IF I PUT YOUR ANWERS ON A SIMPLE ANWER LIKE YES OR NO.

would ir be NO you canot put more HDD or SSD?

sorry for caps.
May 4, 2012 7:11:24 PM

You could just replace the hard drive with an SSD.
May 4, 2012 7:27:47 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
You could just replace the hard drive with an SSD.

mmm and stay with 200gb or even less?

dont think that would help.
May 4, 2012 8:33:01 PM

All depends on what you're using it for. I have a 72GB Raptor that I didn't run out of room on until late last year (bought it in '07). If I tried, I could have done a clean install and run for another couple years but knew I was building a new PC. I have a 160GB Intel SSD now that should last another 5-ish years.
May 4, 2012 8:40:00 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
All depends on what you're using it for. I have a 72GB Raptor that I didn't run out of room on until late last year (bought it in '07). If I tried, I could have done a clean install and run for another couple years but knew I was building a new PC. I have a 160GB Intel SSD now that should last another 5-ish years.

welll i bought this laptop with 250gb and the hard drive only has 90gb's free not even 3 months with it.

plus iam planing on transferring lots of files from here.

Best solution

May 7, 2012 11:47:34 PM

No you probably cannot add an SSD to the Alienware X51. Sure - it likely is technically possible - BUT I wouldn't even try it for several reasons: 1) it has a proprietary Alienware version of the OS, and you'll need a fresh install of Win 7 and Dell may or may not give it to you
2) physically the case is small 3) very expensive if you get past my #1 and #2 because there won't be room for a SSD and a HDD so you'll need a big SSD which is pricey

The bottoim line is this. Dell/Alienware is trying to bridge the gap between console and pc gaming. The X51 is a rig for someone who wants to pc game, but has no desire to change anything out in their rig or tinker with it. That small of a case just won't take hardly anything and it has some tiny proprietary funky external PSU which wouldn't power a higher end graphics card anyway, even if it did fit in there.

If you are wanting to get this system then go ahead, it's your money. But buy the best configuration they offer. Because youre gonna have a heck of a time adding or changing anything to it. But if you major goal is an SSD in a nice gaming rig, I would look elsewhere. The fact that its so hard to figure out if you can do something simple like add an SSD should be a clue to you that this rig is kind of like a console/pc hybrid that cant really be modified. At least not easily.
May 8, 2012 12:09:57 AM

Best answer selected by juniiflow.
!