File Folder default is FIND - how to change?

December 7, 2004 8:29:04 AM

Somehow the default when I double click on file folders is SEARCH. In the
FOLDERS command on the control panel, under file types, under FILE FOLDER, in
ADVANCED, my default has become FIND. I can't delete or change it. Under
Folder the default is OPEN. When I click on a folder, the first option is
always SEARCH. Is there any way to change this? It didn't use to be this
way, so I must have inadvertenly selected the FIND as default. It's a real
pain in the you know what to have to remember to right click folders and
select OPEN rather than just double clicking.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 11:25:22 AM

Follow the instructions outlined in this article:

Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321186&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"John1943" wrote:

| Somehow the default when I double click on file folders is SEARCH. In the
| FOLDERS command on the control panel, under file types, under FILE FOLDER, in
| ADVANCED, my default has become FIND. I can't delete or change it. Under
| Folder the default is OPEN. When I click on a folder, the first option is
| always SEARCH. Is there any way to change this? It didn't use to be this
| way, so I must have inadvertenly selected the FIND as default. It's a real
| pain in the you know what to have to remember to right click folders and
| select OPEN rather than just double clicking.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 10:55:22 PM

John,

This problem occurs when you alter the "File Folders" entries via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory" feature for folders. (example)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

(Courtesy of David Candy)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP