File Folder default is FIND - how to change?

Somehow the default when I double click on file folders is SEARCH. In the
FOLDERS command on the control panel, under file types, under FILE FOLDER, in
ADVANCED, my default has become FIND. I can't delete or change it. Under
Folder the default is OPEN. When I click on a folder, the first option is
always SEARCH. Is there any way to change this? It didn't use to be this
way, so I must have inadvertenly selected the FIND as default. It's a real
pain in the you know what to have to remember to right click folders and
select OPEN rather than just double clicking.
2 answers Last reply
More about file folder default find change

    Follow the instructions outlined in this article:

    Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321186&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "John1943" wrote:

    | Somehow the default when I double click on file folders is SEARCH. In the
    | FOLDERS command on the control panel, under file types, under FILE FOLDER, in
    | ADVANCED, my default has become FIND. I can't delete or change it. Under
    | Folder the default is OPEN. When I click on a folder, the first option is
    | always SEARCH. Is there any way to change this? It didn't use to be this
    | way, so I must have inadvertenly selected the FIND as default. It's a real
    | pain in the you know what to have to remember to right click folders and
    | select OPEN rather than just double clicking.

    John,

    This problem occurs when you alter the "File Folders" entries via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory" feature for folders. (example)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    (Courtesy of David Candy)

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "John1943" <John1943@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0CAF3CC5-6DE4-4C9A-991C-3C15D3DBDB68@microsoft.com...
    Somehow the default when I double click on file folders is SEARCH. In the
    FOLDERS command on the control panel, under file types, under FILE FOLDER, in
    ADVANCED, my default has become FIND. I can't delete or change it. Under
    Folder the default is OPEN. When I click on a folder, the first option is
    always SEARCH. Is there any way to change this? It didn't use to be this
    way, so I must have inadvertenly selected the FIND as default. It's a real
    pain in the you know what to have to remember to right click folders and
    select OPEN rather than just double clicking.

Configuration Default Customization Windows XP