Sign in with
Your question

I5-2500k or i5-3570k?

Last response: in CPUs
August 18, 2012 5:01:20 PM

Hello there folks :hello: 

Im looking to build a gaming PC now for the most part I had it all planned out.
Except I have come to a bump in the road.

Ive been planning to get the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 MB
This one to be exact: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for the CPU I was going to go with the i5-2500k.
Except lately I've been seeing a lot of "Why go with an Ivy Bridge MB w/o an IB CPU?"
So I started to contemplate whether or not to go with the 3570k instead of the 2500k

So any advice?
Also as far as the board goes I would like to keep the one I have chosen :) 

More about : 2500k 3570k

a c 214 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 18, 2012 5:16:09 PM

As you mentioned the Pc will be used for gaming but will you be planning to overclock the cpu? This is where there is a difference between the Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge , the Ivy Bridge cpus do not overclock as well as the Sandy Bridge and there is a heat issue when voltage is applied at the higher speeds on an Ivy Bridge cpu. You can still use the 2500k with the Z77 MB but you don't get all the features enabled like Pci-e 3.0 but for now it makes no difference because no video card can saturate the Pci-e 2.0 as it is.
If overclocking is not in your plans the the 3570k will be fine and it will also be fine if you just want a mild overclock. But if you want to go to 4.3 ghz and beyond then you may want to consider the 2500k.
August 18, 2012 8:59:21 PM

So then there isnt really any problem with me sticking to the z77 and as far as getting the most out of a cpu the 2500k would be the best bet?

Someone suggested the p67 MB but since the price is practically the same on newegg. There really isnt anything to benefit the switch right?

Also as far as OC goes for the CPU. Overall Performance wise would the 2500k be that much better than the 3570k if I OC as high as possible? Or would the difference be minimal?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 18, 2012 9:11:48 PM

MUSE_iC said:
So then there isnt really any problem with me sticking to the z77 and as far as getting the most out of a cpu the 2500k would be the best bet?

Someone suggested the p67 MB but since the price is practically the same on newegg. There really isnt anything to benefit the switch right?

Also as far as OC goes for the CPU. Overall Performance wise would the 2500k be that much better than the 3570k if I OC as high as possible? Or would the difference be minimal?

if they are the same price, no need to really switch. at least you know that teh z77 supports ivy bridge in case you wanted to sell it without flashing and probably wasnt on the storage shelves as long as the other boards.
August 18, 2012 9:20:31 PM

Why go with old tech?

2500k's are being discontinued, go with ivybridge I say. Stick with the times or lag behind, it's how I look at it.
August 18, 2012 10:02:46 PM

Are you planning on keeping that rig for a couple of years? Because if so, maybe you'll need the full power of PCI 3.0
Are you really planning on overclocking your CPU beyond 4.3GHz ? Because if it's for gaming, both CPU won't work at 100% even at stock clock ...
Maybe there's a couple of features you want from Ivy Bridge that you won't get with Sandy Bridge but the main point would be overclocking so it's up to you !
a c 214 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 18, 2012 10:21:42 PM

You may want to step back and think about what it is exactly that you want.
Do you want to overclock or are you feeling like you have to overclock to get the most performance for games?
Do you want to just run the computer and not have to overclock but get good game performance?
If your main concern is gaming performance then the single most important psrt in a gaming computer is the video card.
Overclocking your cpu will not give you the same performance increqse as a different video card will.
What is the video card that your going with in your new build?
You can keep the Z77 motherboard and match it with the 3570k and then the 660Ti and you will have a great gaming Pc that you won't have to overclock the cpu. I don't know what you had intended for a video card and the 670 would be even better.
August 19, 2012 5:11:11 AM

Yes I do plan on keeping the rig for a long time and yes it is meant to be a gaming PC.

I was planning on going with the HD6870
This one to be exact:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The one you mentioned seems like a great card but its a tad bit price considering its almost twice as much as the one I was planning to get.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2012 5:15:29 AM

MUSE_iC said:
Yes I do plan on keeping the rig for a long time and yes it is meant to be a gaming PC.

I was planning on going with the HD6870
This one to be exact:

The one you mentioned seems like a great card but its a tad bit price considering its almost twice as much as the one I was planning to get.

just my personal opinion. the 200$ + gpus will probably last you a bit longer as they have 2gb vram usually. If possible, extend your budget to the 6950 or better if possible(the sapphire 2gb 6950 OC always go in and out of 250>200>250>200). I say so because the rest of the build is moderately gamer level, but the gpu is the heart of gaming and should normally be the most expensive part of the build.
August 19, 2012 7:12:42 AM

Ive been trying to keep every part for the PC at around $150 and transferring funds b/w parts when one was less than that.
Ive decided to go ahead and stick with the 2500k for the CPU.

So id like to thank you all for that.
So now my next question for suggestions would be what I should go with for a GPU.
I've heard a lot of praise for the one I had picked out but if you guys have better recommendations that arent to far a leap from my current choice I'm all ears :) 
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2012 7:20:23 AM

the reason why i usually state 6950/560ti(2gb vram version) or better is because of the fact that although the 6870 and gtx 560(non ti) are cards that can play 1920x1080, they dont handle games with crippling anti aliasing(for image sharpness) as well and are branded entry level 1920x1080 kinds of gpus. Its when you get into the 200$+ gpus where antialiasing is readily doable and you can play basically anygame with respectable fps.

The advantage that 2 gb vram GPU give you in the long run is when you decide to SLI/Crossfire/Play heavy vram games like battlefield 3. when you crossfire/sli 2 cards, vrams arent additive, they share the load, so say, 2 Gtx 560's can essentially give the same performance as a 7950ish level, It still only has 1 gb of vram, so games that require more vram will cripple the setup. Cards with innately 2gb vram worry about it less because of the fact that games dont take more than 2 gb vram, unless your playing a heavy game on multiple screens.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2012 10:08:02 AM

MUSE_iC said:
Hello there folks :hello: 

Im looking to build a gaming PC now for the most part I had it all planned out.
Except I have come to a bump in the road.

Ive been planning to get the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 MB
This one to be exact: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for the CPU I was going to go with the i5-2500k.
Except lately I've been seeing a lot of "Why go with an Ivy Bridge MB w/o an IB CPU?"
So I started to contemplate whether or not to go with the 3570k instead of the 2500k

So any advice?
Also as far as the board goes I would like to keep the one I have chosen :) 

There should be only one reason if u can afford it, why to get 3570K.

Its faster and latest. That all. That simple.

3570K is the new 2500K.
August 19, 2012 2:46:33 PM

nikorr said:
There should be only one reason if u can afford it, why to get 3570K.

Its faster and latest. That all. That simple.

3570K is the new 2500K.

Yeah I can afford it and I would get it but as it was stated earlier I wont miss out on anything right now and its something I can change later down the line. So for now ill just stick with the 2500k.

a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2012 2:50:55 PM

MUSE_iC said:
Yeah I can afford it and I would get it but as it was stated earlier I wont miss out on anything right now and its something I can change later down the line. So for now ill just stick with the 2500k.

Didn't see that u have the 2500K. Than IB CPU's are not for u at all : )

Haswell will be improvement to think about, next year.

IB would be waste, as they are almost the same.
August 19, 2012 2:57:06 PM

nikorr said:
Didn't see that u have the 2500K. Than IB CPU's are not for u at all : )

Haswell will be improvement to think about, next year.

IB would be waste, as they are almost the same.

No lol you misunderstood.
Thats what I've chosen to get and I can move to an IB processor later down the line if needed.
As far as haswell.. well lol thats just something im not going to even bother bringing into the picture for now.

a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2012 2:59:30 PM

Let me understand that....

U have 2500K and u are moving over to 3570K?
August 19, 2012 3:01:12 PM

dudewitbow said:
the reason why i usually state 6950/560ti(2gb vram version) or better is because of the fact that although the 6870 and gtx 560(non ti) are cards that can play 1920x1080, they dont handle games with crippling anti aliasing(for image sharpness) as well and are branded entry level 1920x1080 kinds of gpus. Its when you get into the 200$+ gpus where antialiasing is readily doable and you can play basically anygame with respectable fps.

The advantage that 2 gb vram GPU give you in the long run is when you decide to SLI/Crossfire/Play heavy vram games like battlefield 3. when you crossfire/sli 2 cards, vrams arent additive, they share the load, so say, 2 Gtx 560's can essentially give the same performance as a 7950ish level, It still only has 1 gb of vram, so games that require more vram will cripple the setup. Cards with innately 2gb vram worry about it less because of the fact that games dont take more than 2 gb vram, unless your playing a heavy game on multiple screens.

No yeah I get what you're saying.
So my question would still stand at what should I consider for the card without it being to much of a leap.
a c 214 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2012 3:03:57 PM

With the budget in mind it's still a gaming rig and the video card is the heart of any gaming rig so while I'm not trying to push you to spend money that you don't have a good effort needs to be made to get the most card for what you can aford.
For example , if you are not going to be overclocking then there is no reason to get the 2500K since the K model is an unlocked multiplier cpu and is mainly purchased by people who want to overclock.
The i5-2500k costs $219.99 at Newegg and the I5-2400 costs $189.99 at newegg and the difference between the two is overclocking since both are quad cores and both have a stock speed over 3 ghz , you have a savings of $30 to put towards a video card.

As I had said this was just an example of taking the time and looking at trying to position your budget to be able to get a higher end video card. There's nothing wrong with the 6870 and it's a good video card but you deo know that there are better cards and why not try to get one. A 7850 or 7870 are also good video cards and could be attainable with rearranging your spending.
As with all posts this is just a suggestion to help you get the most for your money and by no means telling you that you have to get it. Sometimes when your focused on one thing you don't see other things. Let me know what your thoughts are and maybe we can get you that better video card.
August 20, 2012 6:33:42 AM

inzone said:
With the budget in mind it's still a gaming rig and the video card is the heart of any gaming rig so while I'm not trying to push you to spend money that you don't have a good effort needs to be made to get the most card for what you can aford.
For example , if you are not going to be overclocking then there is no reason to get the 2500K since the K model is an unlocked multiplier cpu and is mainly purchased by people who want to overclock.
The i5-2500k costs $219.99 at Newegg and the I5-2400 costs $189.99 at newegg and the difference between the two is overclocking since both are quad cores and both have a stock speed over 3 ghz , you have a savings of $30 to put towards a video card.

As I had said this was just an example of taking the time and looking at trying to position your budget to be able to get a higher end video card. There's nothing wrong with the 6870 and it's a good video card but you deo know that there are better cards and why not try to get one. A 7850 or 7870 are also good video cards and could be attainable with rearranging your spending.
As with all posts this is just a suggestion to help you get the most for your money and by no means telling you that you have to get it. Sometimes when your focused on one thing you don't see other things. Let me know what your thoughts are and maybe we can get you that better video card.

Actually im planning to get the 2500k from micro center for $159
August 24, 2012 5:39:52 AM

Ok so then ive decided to get a better card.
Although the expense will force me to wait a little longer for me to complete my rig but, you guys are right it will be worth it. Im going to go with the HD 7870

So the card I was going to go with is the HIS IceQ X HD 6870
This one to be exact:

So I was thinking I would get the same thing except now going with the better one the HD7870
This one - HIS IceQ X HD7870:

or

HIS IceQ HD7870:

Now the only reason I was going with the "X" version last time was because I've seen a lot of recommendations and many said that it was quieter than the regular one.

So does it still apply here or should I just go with the Standard one?
!