Sign in with
Your question

Which to upgrade next? HDD, Vid, keyboard?

Last response: in Systems
May 4, 2012 1:09:52 PM

My current rig is
i5 2500k at 4.2ghz
hyper 212 hs/fan
asus p8p67 pro
4x4 gb gskill ripjaws
antec 700w truepower psu
and a geforce 260gtx

I have 2 of the geforce cards but my rig acts funny when I try to sli them.
Errors when burning dvds, and other odd stuff. Tried with a corsair 650w psu and same thing.
So currently just the one card.
also using a razer naga mouse, but cheapo $5 logitech keyboard.

Hdds are standard 7200rpm drives, a 2tb, some 500s, etc. No solid states

Now the only game im interested in playing currently is Diablo3, and the beta ran smooth on my system, so i dont think I really need to upgrade the video yet.
But really debating getting a ssd. I don't reboot often, but I noticed last night in particular 2-3 mins before I could really interact with my system.

Also I always made do with standard simple keyboards. I got the naga from a friend and really liking it, and now wondering if a better keyboard is in order.

Price ranges im looking for on the ssd is 80-140 or so, same for the vid card
I have $55 in bestbuy gift cards ( I used to work there and hate them) so something from there would be acceptable as Id have a headstart in funds.
A keyboard i dont think id be comfortable going over 60.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 4, 2012 1:21:25 PM

what kind of errors are you experiencing when using sli?
your system looks good...i would upgrade the graphics card when you cant get playable framerates in your favorite games
m
l
May 4, 2012 1:35:47 PM

You could get a Corsair Accelerator as an SSD cache for your C: drive. Should be a great boost, and you don't have to reinstall Windows 7.
m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2012 5:22:58 PM

alvine said:
what kind of errors are you experiencing when using sli?
your system looks good...i would upgrade the graphics card when you cant get playable framerates in your favorite games

I can't recall all the SLI issues because later it turned out 2 of my mem sticks were faulty and causing bsod's, but rarely, and only during WoW sessions. Took forever to nail it down since they passed memtests. Only that
OCCT stress test would actually get it to crash.
Plus I realized majority of the games I had been playing didn't support sli, like Star wars old repub.
But I would get odd crap, fails on dvd burns, system sometimes wouldn't post.
Everything that would seem to point at power issues. I checked, the corsair 650w had enough power on the 12v rails, and the antec truepower 700 had silghtly higher specs than that, and actually I took the antec from my bro in law and the 2 cards from him, and it ran fine for him.
I guess I'll slide the 2nd one in again when D3 comes out and play around with it.

jessterman21 said:
You could get a Corsair Accelerator as an SSD cache for your C: drive. Should be a great boost, and you don't have to reinstall Windows 7.

That sounds odd. I think I'd rather have a legit ssd. I did have an intel 60, but it died on me after a couple weeks. A friend gave it to me, fairly certain he stole it as I had no ability to return it or exchange. Seemed fine at first. Load times slowly increased. Games like Starcraft2 would be fine for a few hours then longer loads then missing file errors. Diagnostic said contact manufacturer. reboot, rerun diag, All is good and running fine. Then after a couple weeks, system wouldn't post if it was plugged in.
Also if you didn't know, you wouldn't have to reinstall Windows. I've successfully copied Windows 7 installs to other drives.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 4, 2012 5:42:58 PM

Get an SSD. You will notice it more often then just when you restart. Any time you start a program it will load much faster.
m
l
May 4, 2012 6:11:01 PM

Sounds like you would benefit most from an ssd and probably enjoy it the most. No offense, but this is one upgrade that just baffles me when people are still wondering if its a step they should take. Storage is by far the main bottleneck. If you crunch the numbers and look at how many cycles your cpu is waiting on data from a storage device its kind of mind blowing. CPU's, chipsets, ram etc.. have far outpaced the advancement of storage devices. SSD's are a big help but there is still a ways to go. But I digress, just on access times alone, hdd's are around 5-7ms. ssd's are around .07ms. Thats TWO whole orders of magnitude faster or 100 times faster. Plus prices have been getting pretty ridiculous lately. A 256gb m4 on the egg is selling for $199 at the moment. How can you not jump on that? It will be the single best upgrade you've made.
m
l
May 4, 2012 6:25:44 PM

TheGlow said:
Also if you didn't know, you wouldn't have to reinstall Windows. I've successfully copied Windows 7 installs to other drives.

By cloning? I know that doesn't work with an SSD. If you're able to do it, great - fact remains that an SSD is the upgrade for you.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 4, 2012 6:35:22 PM

you didn't mention monitor/res........... but I own 3 different gtx260's and sli-ed 2 of them. One was an MSI lightning with double the ram of the standard. The one with more ram plays everything smoothly whereas the 768 models, alone or sli-ed can't keep up. True an SSD would help make loading snappier but if you game above 1600 res I'd dump the cards in a heartbeat for something faster and with at least 2gigs of ram.
m
l
May 4, 2012 6:42:39 PM

1920x1080 is what I typically have. An lg 23.5" monitor or so.
I'm just used to leaving that as max res. I'll dabble a bit with that when D3 drops.

As for the drives, yes you can clone a partition. I use Acronis Disk Director.
Make a copy of the OS partition. The catch is Windows, I believe starting with Vista, started tracking drives by serial/id's to know which volume letter it should have. No more random mixed up letters business.
So when you make the copy, you mount the registry and then change the drive letter of the SSD to C. When you boot and choose the SSD, it should now see itself as C and work as normal.

Also whats the opinion of having the games on the SSD? I recall some people saying it will kill the drive prematurely.
m
l
!