XBox DVD drive question

I need to pick up a new XBox system. Mine is starting to have the disc read
error problem.
Do they have different brand drives in the newer units or are they all the
same now?
5 answers Last reply
More about xbox drive question

    Boody Bandit wrote:
    > I need to pick up a new XBox system. Mine is starting to have the disc read
    > error problem.
    > Do they have different brand drives in the newer units or are they all the
    > same now?

    There's some discussion of that here:

    http://www.xbox-linux.org/docs/versionsdb.html

    Unfortunately, it doesn't say anything about 2004 and 2005. Of the four
    xboxes I have seen (and thought to consider the DVD maker), manufactured
    in 2004, all have had Samsungs.

    "Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.com> wrote in message
    > Boody Bandit wrote:
    > > I need to pick up a new XBox system. Mine is starting to have the disc
    read
    > > error problem.
    > > Do they have different brand drives in the newer units or are they all
    the
    > > same now?
    >
    > There's some discussion of that here:
    >
    > http://www.xbox-linux.org/docs/versionsdb.html
    >
    > Unfortunately, it doesn't say anything about 2004 and 2005. Of the four
    > xboxes I have seen (and thought to consider the DVD maker), manufactured
    > in 2004, all have had Samsungs.

    Thanks for the link.
    The Samsung drive is the better one, correct?
    Do you remember if it was the Thompson drive that had most of the complaints
    / issues?
    I believe that is what I have in my current system.

    Boody Bandit wrote:
    > "Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Boody Bandit wrote:
    >>
    >>>I need to pick up a new XBox system. Mine is starting to have the disc
    >
    > read
    >
    >>>error problem.
    >>>Do they have different brand drives in the newer units or are they all
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>same now?
    >>
    >>There's some discussion of that here:
    >>
    >>http://www.xbox-linux.org/docs/versionsdb.html
    >>
    >>Unfortunately, it doesn't say anything about 2004 and 2005. Of the four
    >>xboxes I have seen (and thought to consider the DVD maker), manufactured
    >>in 2004, all have had Samsungs.
    >

    > Thanks for the link.
    > The Samsung drive is the better one, correct?
    > Do you remember if it was the Thompson drive that had most of the complaints
    > / issues?
    > I believe that is what I have in my current system.

    Thompson is the one that has been described so poorly. As for Philips
    vs. Samsung, I haven't seen much distinction.

    Grinder wrote:
    > Boody Bandit wrote:
    >
    >> I need to pick up a new XBox system. Mine is starting to have the
    >> disc read
    >> error problem.
    >> Do they have different brand drives in the newer units or are they all
    >> the
    >> same now?
    >

    > There's some discussion of that here:
    >
    > http://www.xbox-linux.org/docs/versionsdb.html
    >
    > Unfortunately, it doesn't say anything about 2004 and 2005. Of the four
    > xboxes I have seen (and thought to consider the DVD maker), manufactured
    > in 2004, all have had Samsungs.

    I meant to write "manufactured in 2005" there.

    If you buy a recently-manufactured Xbox it should have a Hitachi drive.

    "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > I need to pick up a new XBox system. Mine is starting to have the disc
    read
    > error problem.
    > Do they have different brand drives in the newer units or are they all the
    > same now?

Console Gaming Xbox DVD Drives Video Games