IShallBecomeAnHero

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
So I'm trying to put an old ATI Radeon 9250 256MB (circa 2005) into my much newer Windows 7 Pro 64-bit box.

I was lucky to even have a PCI slot to put it in, but I'm not lucky as to find drivers for it.

I looked over AMD's site and couldn't find proper drivers. Catalyst Control Center 6.11 won't install and the driver autodetect utility can't determine what I need.

Ideas?

If it helps, I only need this for an extra desktop monitor, it won't be doing anything more than drawing Windows windows.

Thanks.

tlmck

Distinguished
The drivers stop at Win XP 32 bit which means you will not find one for Win 7.

edit: If you just need an extra card, there are inexpensive PCIe x16 cards assuming you have an extra slot. There are also slightly more expensive low end cards that will fit an x1 slot.

IShallBecomeAnHero

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
What was interesting was that when I first put the card in there and powered on, it defaulted to the new card.

Windows was able to use the card, albeit at low resolution, but the monitor complained about the refresh rate (I think) when I tried to turn the resolution up to 1280x1024, the max available in the Screen Resolution dialog.

Naturally, the display defaulted to 640x480.

So, windows could use it, anyway. There aren't some generic drivers that can be used just to get the extra VGA port?

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Current nVidia drivers are compatible with all GeForce 6 and newer GPUs. You can get new PCI 6200 and 8400 cards starting at around $50. The 6200 in particular is quite common in the bottom of the market.
If you have a PCIe x16 slot, there are plenty of Win7-compatible cards for less than $30.
AMD does not support officially Windows 7 on any GPU prior to the HD2000 series nor does nVidia for anything earlier than the GF6000 series.