Sign in with
Your question

I7 ivy vs i5 ivy

Last response: in CPUs
August 18, 2012 8:13:18 PM

I'm trying to build a gaming desktop

My GPU will be GTX 670, and which cpu would be better for this GPU for gaming?

More about : ivy ivy

a c 283 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 18, 2012 8:22:12 PM

Both are great, but you don't need an i7 for gaming. An i5 will perform just as well (and better, actually in games that have issues with HT). A 3570K would be my recommendation.
m
l
a c 135 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 18, 2012 8:36:14 PM

i5 since almost no games on the market nor in the foreseeable future is making efficient use of more than two cores so it is unlikely that many games will make effective use of a 4C8T CPU within Ivy Bridge's mainstream life.

It took nearly 10 years for programmers to get used to program for dual-core PCs, I would not be too surprised if it took another 10 years for them to get comfortable scaling beyond quad-core. Every time you increase concurrency within code, you increase the number of possible bad interactions between threads with associated hard/impossible to reproduce bugs.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 478 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2012 12:33:28 AM

Games do not use Hyper Threading (HT).

Years of benchmarks have shown that HT actually decrease gaming performance. The average is by about 2%, but it varies from game to game. Some games might see a decrease of 0% while others may see a 9% drop in performance.
m
l
August 19, 2012 12:38:10 AM

jaguarskx said:
Games do not use Hyper Threading (HT).

Years of benchmarks have shown that HT actually decrease gaming performance. The average is by about 2%, but it varies from game to game. Some games might see a decrease of 0% while others may see a 9% drop in performance.

well thats great! I get to save some money there haha

m
l
August 19, 2012 2:08:52 AM

taeyoungkwon123 said:
well thats great! I get to save some money there haha

If what you're going to be doing is gaming most of the time, then an Ivy Bridge Core i5 CPU is the way to go. Save yourself the $100 to $200 and just buy an Ivy Bridge Core i5 CPU.

Like everyone else has said, games will benefit very little, if at all, by having a quad-core CPU, simply due to the fact that games (even current games) have not been optimized to utilize all four cores.
m
l
!