Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking to buy this 650$ Computer

Last response: in Systems
May 4, 2012 2:59:54 PM

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1E51H1

That's the link i am looking to get. Built it last night and shaved off some parts to lower the cost. Switched from the I5-3570K to the I5-3550K. It had a higher benchmark speed with the highest value. The 3550K does NOT support OC. I had the 10% OC selected but when i switched CPU's a window popped and said OC wasn't compatible. I was also trying to work out which would be better, upgrading to the 700W power supply for 10$ and if the fan i have selected to cool the CPU has enough power to do the job. I have never had a liquid cooling system, and TBH even though ive been playing WoW for years, I have just started upgrading the 6 yr old dinosaur, but buying a new tower would just be cheaper then upgrading what i would need to. (MOBO, CPU, Power supply, RAM)

I will be using this computer for Hardcore Gaming (Primarily Diablo3 and maybe some WoW)

I already have a graphics card: Saphire Radeon HD 6670 1G DDR3
and i am also getting in Windows 7 Retail version (DVD with both 32/64-bit versions) in a couple of days so i didn't need that on there is well.

Let me know if you have any feedback. and thanks!

More about : buy 650 computer

May 4, 2012 3:18:51 PM

arew you willing to try to build your own?

because $650 can get you a better system if you build it yourself
m
l

Best solution

May 4, 2012 3:24:43 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
arew you willing to try to build your own?

because $650 can get you a better system if you build it yourself

+1

Cyberpower does a pretty good job not overcharging you for building it for you, but it would be cheaper to build yourself. The i5-3550 does not have the K, and cannot be overclocked. Get the 3570K for $20 more, and you can overclock yourself very easily.
Related resources
May 4, 2012 3:25:29 PM

I would be willing to, the current tower i have was a kit my dad got me to build back when i was in highschool (I'm 23 now and a junior in college) I just upgraded a lot of the tower i have aka spending about 200$ only to find out just really how old and bad my cpu is for gaming. I can hit about 42 FPS on WoW with low settings. Granted my OS atm is Windows 7 32 bit. Going to completely wipe my hard drive and install the 64-bit which should speed it up a little bit. But the CPU i have is only an Intel Pentium D 3.00ghz with a benchmark ranking of 812. As far as actually going onto like newegg or amazon.com and getting the parts seperate i have never done that. Wasn't planning on OC the system since i have never done it.

But i am willing to look into any options that will get me a nice PC with more bang for the buck. Even though ive built a pc in the past, the most ive learned about upgrading has been in the past month doing endless research.

you are right, just saw the 3550 doesnt have a K. Idk how well i'd be at overclocking since ive never attempted it. If i did decide to, if i got the build i linked, i can get the 3750K and either get them to do a 10% OC for 20$ or do it myself and buy the OC protection for 20$ (I'd get the protection because i prolly would mess somthin up)

Would the 700W power supply be better or is the 600W sufficient. With the graphics card, they only recommended a 450W power supply, so the 700 would be a little overkill, but leaves room for further expansion...even though the socket for the CPU is dieing off to make room for the 2011
m
l
May 4, 2012 3:31:58 PM

callmemrbest said:
you are right, just saw the 3550 doesnt have a K. Idk how well i'd be at overclocking since ive never attempted it. If i did decide to, if i got the build i linked, i can get the 3750K and either get them to do a 10% OC for 20$ or do it myself and buy the OC protection for 20$ (I'd get the protection because i prolly would mess somthin up)

Would the 700W power supply be better or is the 600W sufficient. With the graphics card, they only recommended a 450W power supply, so the 700 would be a little overkill, but leaves room for further expansion...even though the socket for the CPU is dieing off to make room for the 2011

Overclocking the i5-3570K is easy-peasy. Don't waste your money. If you have questions about it, ask someone here - Tom's forumers rock.

Liquid-cooling is overrated, get a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 (pretty much every budget overclocker uses it). You'll need a Z77 motherboard to overclock, as well. Also get the 650w Corsair PSU instead of the generic 600w - better quality and plenty of room to buy a beast of a graphics card down the road.
m
l
May 4, 2012 3:41:19 PM

The Motherboard* i had selected was a Gigabyte Ga-Z77-D3H Intel Z77 chipset.

would OC the CPU make a huge difference in how much faster the 3770K would be over the 3550?

This is the benchmark of the 3550
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Co...

This is the benchmark of the 3570K
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Co...

I'm not trying to argue believe me, ive just become such a newbie now that technology has passed by me.
m
l
May 4, 2012 3:53:17 PM

Best answer selected by callmemrbest.
m
l
May 4, 2012 4:03:38 PM

Too much CPU --- not enough GPU

It looks like you are well over $800 at this point with your OS, with a CPU you can't over-clock, and a Radeon HD 6670 with GDDR3. Seems to me we need a new plan

I wouldn't 'wipe out' a legal copy of Windows if you still have the key. My advice: Don't spend any more money.

Take your current computer apart, and put it back together. Do it again, and pay better attention this time.

You will then be ready to build your own new computer.

m
l
May 4, 2012 4:04:00 PM

callmemrbest said:
I'm not trying to argue believe me, ive just become such a newbie now that technology has passed by me.

Good pick on the mobo. OC will make a good bit of difference - the 3570K will go up to 4.2GHz very easily on that CM Hyper 212. Even if you don't want to overclock now, you probably will later, and the unlocked K processors make it easier than it's ever been. If you definitely do not want to overclock, save yourself some money and get the i5-2320. It will perform about the same as the i5-3550. And there wouldn't be any reason to get a custom cooler - get the stock Intel one.

Not sure if the 3770K was a typo or not, but just so you know, there is NO gaming advantage to getting an i7 over an i5.
m
l
May 5, 2012 3:24:14 PM

on newegg, $600 should get you an i5-2380/2400/3550, a B75 or H61 motherboard, 500 GB HDD, 8 GB RAM, Corsair 430w PSU, HD 6850, and a cheap case (I like Rosewill R102, Blackbone, or Challenger)

m
l
!