ryanwyvill1

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Today I've just got a new case, PSU and GPU to put on my existing pc. I turn it on and it sounds good fans spinning, light on the cd drive and the power button. About 5 seconds into startup it comes out with this;

"ERROR: CPU Fan has failed

PC will automatically power down in a few seconds.
Service PC immediately to prevent damage to CPU."

Is this just a case of new cooler or should i really get it serviced?

There is something wrong there, a few things to check before replacing the HSF. 1) ensure wire from the CPU fan goes to the motherboard header "cpu_fan". 2) ensure wire is not caught up in fan preventing it from turning. 3) last, watch the fan during start up - make sure it is working.
If everything above seems okay but the fan is not working, you'll want to look into replacing the HSF.
hope it helps

ryanwyvill1

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
C12 - i plugged the fan cable that had a brown plug into a brown connector closest ot the fan

I took the fan out gave it a clean with some cotton budsso there was no dust or hair obstructing the fan

during startup i checked with the side panel off and the fan was spinning albeit louder than usual

13th - how do i find this info out and im still using the same stock cooler from when it was working yesterday morning