Just installed be quiet! 1200W PSU and now startup crashes

snuus

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Hi I have just bought a BeQuiet! DarkPower 1200w PSU, this one here

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/637/pg5/be-quiet-dark-power-1200w-psu-conclusion.html

The problem is it starts to boot like normal and shuts down at different stages before the windows loading bar comes on (turned on 8 times) most of the time getting past post. One time even getting as far as windows loading bar and then shutting off.

My guess is this please tell me if you think I'm right, it has 20A on each rail and will shut down after going just 1A above that. After reading about my OC components I fear they may be the problem. I'm running

-920 D0 i7 2.66 @3.8 (I think this may be the problem according to Toms website on power consumption)
-DFI LanParty JR X58-T3H6
-6gb Corsair Dominator
-5 HDD including OCZ Agility 3 (I have left only 2 drives in including bootable drive to check these wern't the problem)
-Radeon 7950 OC (OC is with MSI afterburner so doesnt come on until windows screen)
-Generic DVD Player

So the only conclusion I can come up with is this power supply is working but not sufficient for the OC components I have in the machine, is that about right? I dont want to de clock my processor I had enough problems getting it there in the first place.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Chris@bequiet

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Hi,

You will have at least 25A on each rail so don't worry. Maybe you connected too many components to one rail? Please check that. It should always get into Windows, but you you heavily OC'ed the components it can of course get to these problems you describe. But usually it would shut down earlier or not at all.

Your descriptions could also fit to a memory problem. Please check in that direction as well :)

Chris