Use of network X cable between two NIC

In the pass the use of network X cable between NICs was mandatory
when networking between two or more computers.
Today, can I use an ordinary cable or is that optional ?

Vlad
2 answers Last reply
More about network cable

    "Vlad" <Bla@dot.com> wrote in message
    > In the pass the use of network X cable between NICs was mandatory
    > when networking between two or more computers.
    > Today, can I use an ordinary cable or is that optional ?
    >
    > Vlad

    The use of a crossover (X) cable is necessary if you are *directly*
    connecting two computers via NICs. A regular cable will not work.

    If there is a hub or switch in the path, as there most often is these days
    (often as part of a router), the crossover cable is not appropriate and
    won't work.

    Note that if you are just using the crossover cable, you almost certainly
    also have to set fixed IP addresses to both cards. This is also not
    necessary if there is a router in use, which almost always has DHCP services
    supplying IP addresses.

    HTH
    -pk

    On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:29:11 -0500, "Test User" <test@dev.null> wrote:

    >"Vlad" <Bla@dot.com> wrote in message
    >> In the pass the use of network X cable between NICs was mandatory
    >> when networking between two or more computers.
    >> Today, can I use an ordinary cable or is that optional ?
    >>
    >> Vlad
    >
    >The use of a crossover (X) cable is necessary if you are *directly*
    >connecting two computers via NICs. A regular cable will not work.
    >
    >If there is a hub or switch in the path, as there most often is these days
    >(often as part of a router), the crossover cable is not appropriate and
    >won't work.
    >
    >Note that if you are just using the crossover cable, you almost certainly
    >also have to set fixed IP addresses to both cards. This is also not
    >necessary if there is a router in use, which almost always has DHCP services
    >supplying IP addresses.
    >
    >HTH
    >-pk

    Excellent information
    Thanks
    Vlad

Configuration NIC Cable Customization Microsoft Windows XP