Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
What is enough for this build.

am2 4200+ x2
2gb ram
x1900xt 512 mb
western digital 250gb sata
dvd burner
possible second hdd on ide ( is this bad idea? sata is new to me )
2 x 180mm fans
1 x slot fan
may add a sound card later

so far i was suggested http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16817103937 but i wanted to make sure by posting here in the power supply forum before I went with it.

Thanks for any help.

The truth? Probably any quality PSU on the market of almost any watt rating.

Your system will probably never pull over 300w from the wall (240 or so from the PSU).

So with that said, I'd look at Seasonic, Fortron, OCZ, Antec and TGI Flowers (maybe sparkle if they're the same as TGI, as I believe they are).

Make sure that you have 30a on the 12v rails (add them up since there's probably more than one).

I'm not discouraging you from getting more power, but you won't need it.

HD's do use more power at start up, but you can set up your bios to stagger the spinup of HDs. Most new WD HD's only use about 10w of power when searching.

BTW, did you mean 120mm fans? I don't think I've ever heard of 180mm fans.

Honestly, the only thing you could really throw at your system that'd stress it is more Video Cards, or 10 HD's all spinning up at the same time.

For reference, I've got a 3000+, 2gb ram, 2hd's, dvd, floppy, 4 80mm fans, 1 92mm fan, sound card, wireless card, x800xl graphics card.

At idle I use 97 watts or so. Before I added the 2nd hd, I used roughly 90 (this is from the wall, so it's more like 80w from the psu). At full on use, it's maybe 165w (and I have to work at it to get it that high). You've got an X2, so I assume it'll use more power when both CPUs are at 100%, but even then how much more will the CPU use? I'm guessing 40-80w.

I think fortron makes some nice reasonably priced PSU's. I have an OCZ 520, which I bought, because I was utterly convinced I needed tons of power for my system...well that and I wanted modular cables (though OCZ's are way to thick/inflexible IMO).

read reviews and articles on power at www.silentpcreview.com for more info from people who are far more knowledgable than I'll ever be on this subject.

Good luck nome.

nilepez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
any thoughts on this? was reading that site that was linked and fsp was one of the brands they spoke of.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16817104952

is 400w enough these days? im still reading... :)

no, the X1900XT is a pretty power hungry card. get the 500w smartpower.

This is simply not true. According to this article, the x1900xtx (which I assume uses at least as much power as the XT) uses 120w at PEAK power (and it's not clear that they're not measuring this from the socket (which would likely mean that it's likely pulling around 96w, assuming 80% efficiency).

He is not going to pull anything close to 300w with his rig, much less 400w.

The X1900xt pulls a barely over 100 watts at full load. My X800XL pulls roughly 50 watts at full load and 25 watts at idle. My system pulls 165 if both CPU and GPU are maxed with lots of onscreen activity. So even if we add 60 watts for his card's power consumption, he's still not pulling anything close to 400 watts of a decent PSU (fortron's specs are just as good as Antec and they're not pumping them up like some lesser companies).

Unless the 500w PSU is roughly the same price, there's absolutely no reason for him to spend more money. I mean for God's sake the PSU has 36amps on the 12v rails.

Nome, you'll be fine.

And for reference, I'm basing my assumptions on 2 xbit benchmarks

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/power-noise_4.html
(apparently reprinted or palgiarized at http://xtreview.com/review134.htm)

and http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/power-noise_4.html
for the x1800gto (which may or may not draw more power than an X800XL)

Nome, I see no reason why you'd need more than a 400w psu, and that one looks good, but if you want to be sure, register at silentpcreview and ask questions on the forum. I'm fairly certain they'll say it's more than adequate. They'll also try to move you to a quieter PSU (which if that's important, then you probably want one with a 120mm fan in it).

Good luck nome.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
i'm getting an enermax liberty 620w for a slightly more powerful system to leave room for upgrading in the future. Its not only the watts you need to consider but also amps and stability. some 400w psu are better than 600w psu so keep that in mind. Also you can use this psu calculator but be aware with all the recomended surge and aging penalties mine comes out to 710w, which it will never get to even with crossfire and more hdd's so don't take it too literally.

PSU Calculator :wink:

nome

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Thanks, that calculator was helpful. I came to 476w after factoring in the surge compensation(25%) and capacitor aging(20%). I wasn't sure what TDP was so I left it at 100%. I went ahead and ordered the 500w last night...I guess it works out to be ok.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Thanks, that calculator was helpful. I came to 476w after factoring in the surge compensation(25%) and capacitor aging(20%). I wasn't sure what TDP was so I left it at 100%. I went ahead and ordered the 500w last night...I guess it works out to be ok.

That should be good although i think 550w woulda been better, however that calcualtor shows worst case scenario so you'll be fine.

nilepez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

That should be good although i think 550w woulda been better, however that calcualtor shows worst case scenario so you'll be fine.

He could have bought a 350w PSU and he never would have hit the max. That calculator said I need almost 285w (400w if I used the extra buffers that they recommend), yet my system never pulls over 165 watts (maybe 175 since i haded a new HD last week).

That calculator (and every other one I've seen) overstates power requirements by 70% or more everytme(far more if you add any cushion for Surg/capcitor aging).

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006

He could have bought a 350w PSU and he never would have hit the max. That calculator said I need almost 285w (400w if I used the extra buffers that they recommend), yet my system never pulls over 165 watts (maybe 175 since i haded a new HD last week).

That calculator (and every other one I've seen) overstates power requirements by 70% or more everytme(far more if you add any cushion for Surg/capcitor aging).

no the calc is generally correct. It calculated if everything was running and running at 100%. While i do agree its off its fairly close. When u boot ur PC every thing runs at 100% so in that sense yes the calc is pretty close.

nilepez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

no the calc is generally correct. It calculated if everything was running and running at 100%. While i do agree its off its fairly close. When u boot ur PC every thing runs at 100% so in that sense yes the calc is pretty close.

Even then it's not correct. First of all, your GPU isn't running at 100%. It doesn't take much to display the CGA graphics that you see when the computer posts. graphics cards 26 years ago could easilly have handled it.

Your CPU is not at 100% until long after your HD's have spun up.

Hard Drives take more to spinup than they do in normal use. However, that's barely double what they use at idle, which means for his drive it's maybe drawing 20 watts when it spins up...and that's for what, 5 or 10 seconds? He's got one drive he may buy a 2nd. That's at most 30 extra watts at peak.

DVD players spinup a little at boot, but it's negligable (maybe 8 watts). However, if you're booting from CD/dvd, then it's 15 watts. DVD players spin up after the HD's, so the peak load from the DVD is after the peak draw form the HDs.

I've got 6 fans and I can shut 4 of them off via software (the others are hardwired at 7v). If I go from Off to Max RPM on the 4 fans it's an 8w difference peak.

The only major draws on his PSU are his CPU and his Video card. If he had an array of HD's, then that'd be a draw at start up, but even the HD makers say if you have lots of HD's, you should stagger the spin up, rather than by a bigger more expensive PSU to meet the needs of a spike that lasts a few seconds at boot up (a configurable option which is available in most, if not all modern BIOS menus).

Finally, good PSUs are rated for constant loads, not peaks. So even IF some how we all managed to buy the most incredibly inefficient drives and our systems somehow managed to pull 420 watts at boot up, an Antec, OCZ, Enermax, Fortron or seasonic (to name a few good ones) rated at 400 watts could handle it.

Now I wouldn't recommend one cut it that close, but I'm just illustrating how completely out of whack things have become. You don't need 100% more than your peak loads, much less 150% or 175% more.

I don't think I'm missing anything on the boot up, but it's certainly possible.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
ok, i agree with u. but i dont agree witht he 300w PSu recommendation. Atleast 400w. u need ample amperage for the vid card and what not. I think 350w maybe a bit too close to the border

also 500w with 17 and 19amps is great for 70 dollars.

nilepez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
ok, i agree with u. but i dont agree witht he 300w PSu recommendation. Atleast 400w. u need ample amperage for the vid card and what not. I think 350w maybe a bit too close to the border

Fortron has a 350 watt 350w psu that has an 18a rail and a 16a rail. Fortron doesn't generally fudge it's numbers, so that 300w is very conservative. 34a*12 is roughly 400 watts.

They also have this
300w psu has 22a on the 12v rail. It too would probably be enough, but I'd probably get the 400w, given the prices, so long s noise doesn't matter...otherwise, I'd look at a quieter PSU.

I really recommend reading this article.

I've linked page3, which specifically discusses the topic of this thread, but the entire article is worth reading.

SPCR, along with Xbit, is probably the best computer PSU tester on the web (certainly the best I've seen).

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006

Fortron has a 350 watt 350w psu that has an 18a rail and a 16a rail. Fortron doesn't generally fudge it's numbers, so that 300w is very conservative. 34a*12 is roughly 400 watts.

They also have this
300w psu has 22a on the 12v rail. It too would probably be enough, but I'd probably get the 400w, given the prices, so long s noise doesn't matter...otherwise, I'd look at a quieter PSU.

I really recommend reading this article.

I've linked page3, which specifically discusses the topic of this thread, but the entire article is worth reading.

SPCR, along with Xbit, is probably the best computer PSU tester on the web (certainly the best I've seen).

true like i said i agree with u to a point. now the sticker may say 18 and 16 amps but as u said 34amps is 400w. So obviously its not 34 amps combined. u have to factor in the 3.3v and 5v rails into that 350w rating for the PSU. So it cant deliver 400w on the 12v rail.

in the end, yes his system will prolly work off a 350w. but for security 400w atleast

TRENDING THREADS