ITomI

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Hi all, I have 1 top exhaust fan, 1 back exhaust, 1 front intake, and 1 gpu fan (7870) and Intel stock cooler running my i5 3570k at stock speeds with turbo boost, this is what I'm getting:

35C Idle
75C Prime95 Load (1.1 volts avg after LLC)

I am a bit short of cash since I spent ~£800 building my PC so cannot afford a new cpu cooler for when I want to overclock.

I want to reduce the load temperatures a little bit, and am thinking of trying an offset voltage of minus 0.1-0.2V to reduce my temperatures a bit, would this work/be worth it?

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Your temps are fine right where they are. Nothing else will stress the CPU to that temp like Prime will; if you're gaming, the CPU doesn't do all the work, the GPU takes a huge part of the load...

InvalidError

Titan

Since it does not cost you anything to try it, there is no harm in trying it. Worst case, you may need to re-install your OS if it gets corrupted by silent errors.

As for aftermarket HSF, no need to look very high price-wise for decent performance. The Hyper 212+ ($20-30) and 212EVO ($30-40) are relatively inexpensive but will perform 12-20C better than stock HSF. The EVO performs 2-5C better than the + under load, which may (or not) be worth $10 to you.

AFAIK, the 212s still have the best bang-per-buck ratios on the market.