Ghosted a drive, pagefile is jacked!

Nijle4u

Distinguished
May 24, 2001
ok i've got a new 30gig HD, and i'm replacing my old 8gig. i do norton ghost and make a copy of the drive but for some reason the copy is 500 megs less than the old. wtf right so i pull the 8 and boot 2k on teh 30. it boots, i type in my pass and it errors saying windows does not have a pagefile or it is too small. go to properties, and make one or increase the size, etc. but then it kicks me right back out to the god damn login screen. booting w/ safe mode freezes teh computer. WTF! why is the page file not being copied, wtf is this page file is it somethign i can manually copy?? Thanks Guys!! :)

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Sounds like ghost didnt ghost properly, did u check the ghost.err file? Id try and ghost it again. Also make sure the drive is corrrectly setup in bios- this can cause ghost to do funny things too.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

its not normaly a good idea to ghost drives that arent the same size however people do it. your problem is ghost died. but why ghost. why not reload. thats a much better way of using a new hard drive. just format and load the 30gig and copy all your files to it if the drive isnt toasted. btw if ya ghost while in windows theres programs and files that cannot be moved while windows is running i cannot say what ones or how many since i dont know the every single file windows uses.

Computer Shop owner and Head tech.