Sign in with
Your question

Final Check on $2000 Video Editing Build

Last response: in Systems
May 4, 2012 6:36:51 PM

Here is my build

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7GwC

I am going to be building my first computer at the end of the year. I will be editing HD video and want to edit video for a career, Possibly a Youtube content creator. This is my first computer and i would appreciate some advice. I will soon be 19 and have saved up $2000 for this computer. I will be using either the "Internal Graphics 4000" built into the CPU or maybe a GTX 550 Ti for graphics if i decide to run dual monitors. This is not intended to be a gaming computer, This is meant to be a video editing computer. I have done my homework on the parts but i know that i should still get advice from other people. Thank you again for helping / giving your opinions on my build.

I already have a 42" LED Tv that i will use as a screen until i purchace dual monitors.
*I will be waiting till the release of Windows 8 to start my build.

Software:
Video: Sony Vegas 11 Movie Studio Platinum
Photo: Photoshop CS 5.5
Audio: Audacity

Hardware:
Corsair 650D
Intel i7 3770k
Asus Sabertooth z77
Corsair H100
Corsair Vengance 16Gb (2 X 8Gb)
AX850
Sandisk 120Gb SSD
WD 2Tb Caviar Green Hard drive
Hauppauge Colossus
*Windows 8

Reasons for Parts:
Case------------Mid-Tower, Side panel, Cable Management Gromets, Looks good
CPU-------------Will prob Overclock to 4Ghz..
MotherBoard-One-Click Overclocking. Z77, SATA3, USB 3.0, T.U.F. Board
Cpu Cooler----I dont want to upgrade later, I am nervous about messing with the cpu cooler too much so i'm just going to start with H100
RAM------------So i can upgrade to 32Gb down the road
PSU------------Plenty of overhead
SSD------------Boot Drive / Programs
HDD------------Storage
Cap Card-----Record Gameplay, Music, Movies
OS--------------Better support for Dual Monitors

I am really considering getting a UPS for all the tech in my room. The AX850 power supply requires a True Sine Wave power source to function or it will shut off, is their a true sine wave ups that anyone reccomends?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Probable Future Upgrades:
60Gb SSD Cache for Hard drive
2Tb Raid 0 for Video Capture Scratch
More Fans
Ram upgrade to 32Gb
Dual Monitors
EVGAGTX 550 Ti

Any help would be great, Thanks!
May 4, 2012 7:31:13 PM

First of all: if you are buying things at the end of the year, don't choose anything yet. Things change way too fast, and at that time you will probably get something different. Also depending on your situation, you might also be able to save more money and have a higher budget at the end of the year if you want to buy it later. Anyway, my opinion for the moment is:

I don't think the HD4000 will be any good for video editing. I recently built a video editing system with a budget quite similar to yours (maybe ~$2300) (everything from newegg, microcenter, amazon and bestbuy):

- i7-3820
- Asus P9X79 Pro
- G.Skill 16 GB (4x4) 1600
- Hyper 212+
- Crucial m4 128 gb
- 2x Hitachi 7200 RPM SATA III 2 TB each
- Antec 902 v3
- Pioneer 207 BD
- Dell 24'' LED monitor
- eVGA Nvidia SC HD GTX570
- PC Power and Cooling Silencer 760W 80+ Silver

With just a bit over $2000 ($2300 I think), I already included the monitor, more storage, more RAM and a powerful GPU. As I say, you DON'T want to use the integrated GPU for video editing, it's not powerful enough, regardless of how many monitors. Video editing requires more GPU power than higher-end gaming machines, which have already enough power.. This also depends on what you are planning to do exactly.

If you prefer to go with i7-3770k and the Z77 platform, this will cost even less.

EDIT: my budget does not include OS or any other software.
Related resources
May 4, 2012 7:34:11 PM

Honestly, I don't think that AMD is the way to go for a video editing system. Most benchmarks confirm this, you definitely want to go with i7 (I do like AMD though).
May 4, 2012 7:36:52 PM

You don't know anything about Vegas, and didn't follow the link, did you?

May 4, 2012 7:39:09 PM

agree with dedekind

windows 8 is probably dropping in october
so i would say wait

unless u want to get started now with windows 8 preview
May 5, 2012 2:23:03 AM

Doesnt video rendering use the CPU first and also uses any GPU's to increce the preformance?? It should use the CPU to process the majority of the workload? am i correct?? The extra Hyperthreaded cores help to decrease render time... the GPU is only to increce preformance... Right??
May 5, 2012 2:24:52 AM

dedekind said:
First of all: if you are buying things at the end of the year, don't choose anything yet. Things change way too fast, and at that time you will probably get something different. Also depending on your situation, you might also be able to save more money and have a higher budget at the end of the year if you want to buy it later. Anyway, my opinion for the moment is:

I don't think the HD4000 will be any good for video editing. I recently built a video editing system with a budget quite similar to yours (maybe ~$2300) (everything from newegg, microcenter, amazon and bestbuy):

- i7-3820
- Asus P9X79 Pro
- G.Skill 16 GB (4x4) 1600
- Hyper 212+
- Crucial m4 128 gb
- 2x Hitachi 7200 RPM SATA III 2 TB each
- Antec 902 v3
- Pioneer 207 BD
- Dell 24'' LED monitor
- eVGA Nvidia SC HD GTX570
- PC Power and Cooling Silencer 760W 80+ Silver

With just a bit over $2000 ($2300 I think), I already included the monitor, more storage, more RAM and a powerful GPU. As I say, you DON'T want to use the integrated GPU for video editing, it's not powerful enough, regardless of how many monitors. Video editing requires more GPU power than higher-end gaming machines, which have already enough power.. This also depends on what you are planning to do exactly.

If you prefer to go with i7-3770k and the Z77 platform, this will cost even less.

EDIT: my budget does not include OS or any other software.

I just want to make a preliminary list and possibly adjust parts if things change down the road..
ALSO
Doesnt video rendering use the CPU first and also uses any GPU's to increce the preformance?? It should use the CPU to process the majority of the workload? am i correct?? The extra Hyperthreaded cores help to decrease render time... the GPU is only to increce preformance... Right??
!