Modifying existing case with oak wood.

ronfaul

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Not having much success in finding a HTPC case. (Expensive and often not meeting all criteria) Looking at cutting down old atx tower, turning on side, rotating drive cages 90 degrees, removing plastic case bezel, and making new bezel out of oak.

Question: Any problem using wood as case bezel??? It is probably no more flamable than the current plastic one.

Sounds like alot of work, but my hobbies are building furniture and computers for myself and others. Time is not an issue when its a hobby.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Well. how would it attach correctly?plastic bends so the clips can latch into place.

besides that the wood wont allow air thru so cooling will be an issue

sturm

Splendid
Not at all if just the front bezel. I would make sure that you are able to get adequate air flow from the rest of the case though. Or cut some decorative slots in the wood.

dt

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
hmm that would be interesting.

if you do it and get finished with it post a picture of the case finished. i would really like to see it.

ronfaul

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
The center of the bezel will be hollow underneath with a gap at the bottom like the current plastic bezel. Mounted with four screws unless it think of something better. I believe the design will work.

I am more concerned about radio frequencies, stactic electricity, and possible increased fire hazard. ie: Electro-dynamics and safety. Keep in mind the inner steel aspect of the case under the bezel will still be in place.

ronfaul

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Thanks for your input. Once I'm satisfied with the responses from the forum, the building begins. I'll take pictures. The planned dimensions are 17" w X 8 h X 13 d. Chopping the depth a little. 2 case fans. Design not set in concrete. Thanks again.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
yes, me wants pics. this is intresting.

anyways, fire hazard shouldn't be an issue since there is a layer of metal between the wood and the components. if the wood is glazed then u should be fine but if its a dry wood then yes thats a fire hazard