Is my computer getting worse?

MissShoko

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Well, I used to be able to run games and my CPU usage would never hit more than say 70% also my fps was always high around the 60's (This is from looking at the task manager and using fraps to check my FPS)

Now however, when I run memory intensive games, 1.) my fps is in the 20's when it used to be in the 50's and 2.) my CPU usage skyrockets to around 90%

It seems to be getting worse and worse, and I'm not sure what is going on, I just got this computer 2 months ago.

My processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
My graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430

G

The first thing you should do is run "Resource Monitor" and see what programs are running and what programs are using the most of your CPU and RAM/memory. There could be programs running in the background that are not showing up in the bottom right corner or in Task Manager.

If everything appears to be fine there, you should do a "Disk Defrag" next. Your hard drive may or may not be dying on you, for lack of better term.

If everything's fine there, you should then check temperatures. Download a program called "HWMonitor" and run that and check the temperatures of your CPU and hard drive every couple of minutes for about a half hour. Run programs that are hardware intensive as well as let your computer idle, and if your CPU is constantly hot (like I would say 50 to 70 degrees celsius at idle and not dropping) then that could mean that you may have to either apply new thermal paste to the CPU, or get a new CPU cooling system (or both.) If your hard drive is always running hot (like over 50 to 60 degrees celsius) then I would consider replacing your hard drive.

If everything appears to be fine there, then the only other thing I can suggest would be to do a "System Restore" to the last time I thought my computer ran well. You should obviously back up all of your stuff before initiating the system restore to prevent loss of data.

Hope this helps!!

MissShoko

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
@inzone
I used to shut down my computer every night, then I learned that isn't good for it so I set it to "sleep" every night. Is my graphics card horrible or is it just not good because I cannot afford an expensive card atm.

@scottiemedic
Yeah...I've installed and uninstalled a lot of programs since the 2 months I've bought my computer. I don't think my anti-virus is slowing down my computer.

@edogawa
Uhhh at near idle (I have skype open) my CPU usage is at 0% ~ 1% and physical memory at 17%

@FIRINMYLAZERMAN
I will try some of your suggestions and tell you how it goes!

Thanks for the replies so far everyone!

scottiemedic

Distinguished
My 'guess' is that one of the programs you installed most recently is using resources and taking away from your CPU cycles and such.

Take inventory of the last few programs you have installed and then check task manager to see if they are hogging up something and Resource Monitor.

The reason I mention anti-virus is that it could be trying to check files as you are using/downloading them in the game (skins, maps, whatever), so it should be disabled long enough to test that theory.