GPU x2 - AMD Radeon HD 6970
Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77
PSU - CORSAIR Professional Series HX850
Case -AZZA Solano 1000 Black/Black Japanese
Ram G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
CPU FAN - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
DVD DRIVE - ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X
SSD - Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC
monitor x3 - ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG)

So this new computer i built i have been troubleshooting all weekend with my friend. It randomly hard locks. Can still see what was originally on the screen but cant move mouse or change cap locks on or off on my keyboard, also cant alt+ctrl+del. only option is to restart or wait for it to shut off by itself. It happens randomly, sometimes i go all night without any problems and wake up in the morning PC is still on a-ok other times i leave my room for a hour and my PC is off when i come back. Sometimes when i am playing games it will happen, other times i am just browsing the internet. It seems completely random.

So we started by Updating the firmware for my SSD, didn't fix the problem. Next we Update the bios and all driver for my MB and AMD drivers for my graphic card has well, didn't fix it. So next we decided to test the ram. Ram Memtest for a couple of passes and no problems at all, so it wasn't my memory.

So next we thought it might be my power supply isn't strong enough. So i unplugged 2 of the monitors and 1 of the GPUs to drastically lower the watts, and that didn't fix it. at this point i am pulling my hair out trying to figure out whats wrong. Next i tried using my HDD and reformatting it and doing a fresh install of windows on there instead of using my SSD. But then it started Hard locking while installing windows. so now i got the SSD back in and hoping it doesn't lock up anymore.

i am clueless what to try next, but at this point i am thinking bout just returning all the parts i can beside my Case and RAM, and getin all new parts. Unfortunately i can only RMA my CPU and SSD so i cannot get refunds for those.

More about : computer random hardlocks

May 4, 2012 7:45:43 PM

I'm pretty clueless as well. Have you overclocked your CPU? Are you running your RAM at anything but stock speeds? If you are I'd say try loading your motherboard's default settings if you can get into the BIOS - that might do the trick.
m
l
May 4, 2012 7:49:03 PM

Yea unfortunately i have not overclocked anything ram or CPU or my GPU. Think the CPU goes into turbo mode by itself though but beside that i haven't messed with my RAM at all.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
May 8, 2012 12:48:24 AM

i have the same problem dont know what to do more on this computer is driving me nuts
m
l
May 8, 2012 10:03:41 PM

Do you have the same motherboard has me, because after doing some reading and looking around turns out this is a common problem with the motherboard and other people are having the same problem. I replaced the motherboard and all works fine. so if your using the same motherboard has me i suggest you send it in for a refund and buy yourself a new one.
m
l
!