Newly purchased CPU wont work

RichC

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Hello,

I have a HP Pavilion Model # p6313w. M2N78-LA (Violet6) Motherboard and currently have AMD Athlon II X2 215 CPU. PS 450 Watt, 8GB DDR3 Memory, upgraded video card. Just purchased a AMD Phenom II x6 1045T CPU. I installed it and it doenst boot up. Was told it should work by Tiger Direct. Any ideas why it wont work or even if it is compatabile? If not whats my best CPU I can upgrade to. Thanks

Solution
That would be a safe assumption.

There is the Phenom II X4 965 which is part of the AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb) series, but it is a 125w CPU and nothing from HP's website specifically states that 125w AMD CPUs are compatible.

The X4 945 is a 95W AMD CPU which is why I stated that would be a safe assumption.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
did you forget to clip the cpu into the cpu socket? I know my friend did that once... and we had to take off the cpu cooler and and *** to get to the cpu...

Edit: NVM.

Your motherboard doesn't support the processor.

HP website said it supports the following.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c01925562&lc=en&product=4120567#N92

Supports the following processors:

AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb)
AMD Phenom II X3 7xx/7xxe Triple-Core (Heka)
AMD Phenom II X2 5xx (Callisto)
AMD Athlon II X4 6xx/6xxe (Propus)
AMD Athlon II X3 4xx/4xxe (Rana)
AMD Athlon II X2 2xx/2xxe (Regor)

No Thuban based X6.

bookwormsy

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
That CPU isn't compatible with your motherboard. If you google the model number of the HP motherboard, on HPs site, itll tell you which processors are supported. The x6 isn't one of them. The highest it'll go to is: AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb).

Your options now are to either return the 1045T and pay a 15% restocking fee or buy a motherboard that supports the 1045T.

One very important thing to keep in mind. Since you have a HP computer, Windows 7 is tied to that motherboard. Replacing the motherboard will mean you can no longer install Windows 7 (or Vista) which came with your HP computer... because it will not longer be a HP computer. That means you will also need to buy Windows 7 so you can re-install it.

The most simple and less expensive route is to return the X6 1045T and pay the 15% restocking fee, then buy a Phenom II CPU that is compatible with the HP motherboard.

RichC

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
ah crap...I guess this is the best I can do then correct?

AMD HDX945WFGIBOX Phenom II X4 945 Quad Core Processor - 3.00GHz, 6MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB, Retail, Socket AM3, Processor with Fan

That would be a safe assumption.

There is the Phenom II X4 965 which is part of the AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb) series, but it is a 125w CPU and nothing from HP's website specifically states that 125w AMD CPUs are compatible.

The X4 945 is a 95W AMD CPU which is why I stated that would be a safe assumption.

Solution

Yeah, sorry to hear about that. Too bad that this day in age, most people who work for these places are 95% salesman and 5% knowledge. They will literally, without remorse or a second thought, say anything to get you to spend money. Knowing full well they will never, ever have to face you in person, or likely even speak to you again. Its buyer beware anymore, and one of the reasons we all come here to get opinions and facts before we spend our money! Hope everything works out for you.

bookwormsy

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Two things to keep in mind: if you end up buying a new motherboard, theres a very good chance that activating Windows 7 over the phone will work. It sometimes doesn't, but if you tell them that you had to replace the mobo or something, they'll activate it. Second, if you go for the x4 965, you'd probably have to get a better CPU. Then it should be fine.