XFX Radeon HD 6870 Battlefield 3 issue

dun247

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Hi All,
My first post so please be gentle ;)

I have just built my new rig and to test it out I bought Battlefield 3. The issue i am having is that the FPS is up and down constantly and game play stutters(unplayable). I have tried all different settings, Updated drivers, looked around on different forums but to no avail. Please help and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
FYI I have played C&C on high setting and Eve Online on high setting with no lag or stuttering.

CPU - AMD FX-4100(OC 4.0Ghz)
Mobo - Asus M5A78L/USB3
Ram - Corsair vengeance 8GB
GPU - XFX Radeon HD 6870 (OC 950Mhz)
PSU - Antec 550w true power
HDD- Crucial 64gb
HDD2 - WD Blue 74gb (Connected via IDE, old HDD)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
How are your system (CPU and GPU) temperatures at idle and under load? If you don't know, get hwmonitor and run in the background to determine this info.

Then, reset both your CPU and GPU speeds back to stock. Does the problem go away?

Also, I would imagine your old HDD may be contributing to your issues. The HDD is used for virtual memory and that interface is going to slow things down compared to the rest of the system.

BF3 is a resource hog and will stress any system. Just keep that in mind as well.

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I have been told that BF3 on the PC is a very buggy game and still needs patching,even tho it has been patched already. My cousin has uninstalled it after a number of times trying to get the game to run right. I could be wrong but i dont think that the fault is with your system.

Ps,Just read your post again,COLGeek could have a point regarding your older HDD setup,try running with just your Crucial HDD,at least that way you can eliminate that as a potential cause

dun247

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I have just reinstalled the game. Still the same. Will uninstall and run off my SSD. Hope that will help.
FYI I have run the Heaven benchmark and got a 1000+ with average of 45FPS so I guess my system cant be that bad. Got to be the old IDE HDD. Will keep you updated.
Cheers

raydog

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
u might b exceeding the vram on your gpu. Put the top setting(forgot what it's called) to high not ultra, and AA (the numbered one) off. What resolution do u play at?

dun247

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
So i have reinstalled on my SSD. Still the same. I do have a bit more info. I used the render.drawfps 1 and render.perfoverlayvisiable 1. The overlay graph seems to spike quite regularly and high, both the CPU and GPU. The CPU spike is higher. Anyone know what this means?
I have also been able to play other fps games no problem.
@Andy_93 u maybe right about the buggy-ness of the game, but i have seen clips of people with a radeon 6870 playing no problem. Might be a case of a few tweaks.
@raydog tried the setting. still the same. Im playing at 1280*768 60hz

dun247

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Issue solved. It was the driver. I kept googling and came across someone else with the same issue. Wouldnt you know it it was from this website. The driver is 'non certified' CCC 12.x. FPS never drops below 60 and the perfoverlay graph is much more stable. FYI previously I had the CCC12.1 CAP 3.
This is the URL for the 12.x im using http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=357581 I take no responsibility if you wish to use this.

Thanks for all your help guys