Sign in with
Your question

Old hard drive, new PC

Last response: in Systems
May 4, 2012 7:49:56 PM

I bought most of the PC parts new and built them but I decided to salvage my old DVD reader and hard drive in order to save money.

The cpu should be compatible with Windows 7 so I didn't think I would have any issues there.

I built it fine with my friend and the computer starts up fine except there seems to be a problem with the OS. It keeps asking me to repair it since there is a problem with the hard drive.

I've done system repair and system restore but it continues to ask me to do the same thing over and over again.

Any ideas?

More about : hard drive

May 4, 2012 7:55:40 PM

How about a little more info. Did you format the HDD? Are you plugged into the 1st SATA socket?
May 4, 2012 8:04:54 PM

Chaz21 said:
How about a little more info. Did you format the HDD? Are you plugged into the 1st SATA socket?

I'm not sure what formatting means since I'm not tech-savvy at all (My friend did most of the building for me).

And I don't think that I plugged it into the very first SATA slot. It may have been the one labeled 1 or 2. So I need to plug it into the one labeled 0? (I think I have about 6 SATA slots total).
Related resources
May 4, 2012 8:16:32 PM

Chaz21 said:

I plugged it into the very first one (0) but the results are the same. It keeps redirecting me to go into system repair.
May 4, 2012 9:14:47 PM

Do you have it on a flash drive (usb)? Or is this an "old" install on your existing HDD?
May 4, 2012 9:48:21 PM

Chaz21 said:
If worse comes to worse try this:
http://www.intowindows.com/repair-windows-xp-vista-wind...

Sorry for the long reply. I went out and bought a new hard drive if worst came to worst. My other friend is getting me Windows 7 so no worries there.

I'll try the link you provided and if it still does not work then I'll have to just install windows 7 onto a new hard drive and try and salvage the memory from my old hard drive.

Do you know how to salvage the memory from old hard drives?
May 4, 2012 11:37:27 PM

If you install a new HDD with Windows on it your "old" drive will become a secondary drive and, if it's not broken, you'll have access to anything that's on it. Don't put the "old" drive into your computer until after you have windows up and running. You wouldn't want windows trying to boot from a installation that you know doesn't work.
May 5, 2012 1:09:49 AM

Windows OS do not like mobo change...........

Clean install is way to go..........
May 5, 2012 2:04:14 AM

Chaz21 said:
If you install a new HDD with Windows on it your "old" drive will become a secondary drive and, if it's not broken, you'll have access to anything that's on it. Don't put the "old" drive into your computer until after you have windows up and running. You wouldn't want windows trying to boot from a installation that you know doesn't work.

So I got a 1Tb Seagate hard drive while my old hard drive is a western digital.

Would I just connect the new hard drive into the first (0) Sata slot on the mobo and then connect the "old" hard drive onto the second (1) Sata slot? Or do I connect the two hard drives together like that RAID set up thing . . . whatever it is.

And let's just hypothetically say that I have a pirated version of Windows 7. Would that pirated version of Windows 7 on my new hard drive still work with my old hard drive which has a authentic version of Windows 7?
May 5, 2012 2:14:05 AM

As others mentioned, reinstalling Windows is usually the easiest way to clear all the oddities that tend to crop up when you put an old Windows install in a new system. There probably is a bunch of quickstart and other driver/loading-related stuff that bypasses a few hardware checks for faster boot times.

You could try booting Windows in safe-mode and then remove all drivers for stuff that isn't present on your new hardware setup from the device manager.
May 5, 2012 3:27:31 AM

InvalidError said:
As others mentioned, reinstalling Windows is usually the easiest way to clear all the oddities that tend to crop up when you put an old Windows install in a new system. There probably is a bunch of quickstart and other driver/loading-related stuff that bypasses a few hardware checks for faster boot times.

You could try booting Windows in safe-mode and then remove all drivers for stuff that isn't present on your new hardware setup from the device manager.

Booting in safe-mode still doesn't work. It continues to direct me to do a system repair.
May 5, 2012 9:01:28 AM

can you give us a specific stats of your hdd both new or old or whichever your getting or have, a picture of it with it's wire will help also if you cannot elaborate,

also can you give more info about your mobo

maybe your using IDE
May 5, 2012 12:27:52 PM

chris052692 said:
So I got a 1Tb Seagate hard drive while my old hard drive is a western digital.

Would I just connect the new hard drive into the first (0) Sata slot on the mobo and then connect the "old" hard drive onto the second (1) Sata slot? Or do I connect the two hard drives together like that RAID set up thing . . . whatever it is.

And let's just hypothetically say that I have a pirated version of Windows 7. Would that pirated version of Windows 7 on my new hard drive still work with my old hard drive which has a authentic version of Windows 7?

Follow this procedure:
Connect new HDD to slot "0".
Install Windows on slot "0" drive.
After windows is up and running (and updated) then connect your old HDD to slot "1". It should now be visible in "computer" tab.
"Open" your old HDD, keep any files you want to, delete any you don't. Any programs or games you have on the old HDD will have to be reinstalled so that you can use them (you can save all the data however). Music, movies, video's etc. are still there and unchanged. I would delete the Windows installation on your old drive and free up that space for other uses.
May 5, 2012 4:21:23 PM

Tavo_Nova said:
can you give us a specific stats of your hdd both new or old or whichever your getting or have, a picture of it with it's wire will help also if you cannot elaborate,

also can you give more info about your mobo

maybe your using IDE

My motherboard is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My old hard drive is a western digital 750gb that came with the desktop that I bought from BrandsmartUSA.

My new hard drive is a Seagate 1tb.

Some more info: The old hard drive was screwed into this holder thing that was attached to the inside of the desktop. Since it wouldn't come free and I didn't want to buy a new hard drive and OS, my friend and I decided to use all the tools at our disposal to salvage the hard drive.

After much banging, ripping of metal, and leveraging . . . the hard drive, along with the hard drive holder, fell free onto the hardwood floor.

Now, the hard drive itself did not hit the floor but I would imagine that the shock would be enough to distort/shake-up any fragile components inside the hard drive.

If this is the case, then there really isn't any chance of salvaging my data unless I pay for those expensive data recovery companies, right?
May 5, 2012 7:07:09 PM

You'll never know what you can "salvage" until you hook up the new one, then hook up the old one and see if it's recognized under "computer". If it's "seen" then the items on it can probably be salvaged.
May 5, 2012 11:24:20 PM

Chaz21 said:
You'll never know what you can "salvage" until you hook up the new one, then hook up the old one and see if it's recognized under "computer". If it's "seen" then the items on it can probably be salvaged.

Speaking of salvage, two of my HDDs are very flaky when mounted inside my PC case with straight SATA connection to the motherboard but work perfectly fine when I toss them into one of my NexStar3 and plug them on USB. That's one more thing people who have a hard time getting drives online can try before giving up.
!