Sign in with
Your question

What do I need to do/have for 5 Monitors?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 28, 2012 5:22:13 PM

Hey guys! My work set-up, I have three Dell 27" widescreens. Well we have two more lying around, and I would like to add them to my work PC. (i5 Sandybridge, 16GB DDR3). My work PC has onboard DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort. The video card (9400GT) has 2x DVI and 1 SVIDEO.

Right now, The three monitions are connected like this:
9400GT>DVI>Monitor
9400GT>DVI>Monitor
Onboard>DVI>Monitor

When I go to Windows 7 Screen Resolution, It is detecting an available port for another monitor, but its on the 9400GT, which would be SVIDEO. So that's not an option.

The chipset drive is up to date.

I tried adding an Nvidia FX5200 PCI card to the PC, but it would never detect both video cards.

What do I need to do to add two more monitors to my system? It only has one PCIX slot, and its being used.

More about : monitors

a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2012 5:31:39 PM

Well its gonna need either a graphic card that supports 4 monitors, or another graphics card running alongside the first one. (sli) I dont know if you can sli a 9400, its probly a better idea to get a new gpu considering your i5 wont bottleneck.

So look for cards with enough outputs. Do you game or only want to be able to use your extended desktop?
m
l
a b C Monitor
February 28, 2012 5:33:44 PM

You can't run 4 monitors well with those cards. Also, you need a displayport.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2012 5:36:04 PM

The Radeon HD 6850 runs 4 monitors, but with one mini display port connector and one display port.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 28, 2012 5:55:32 PM

Max1s said:
Well its gonna need either a graphic card that supports 4 monitors, or another graphics card running alongside the first one. (sli) I dont know if you can sli a 9400, its probly a better idea to get a new gpu considering your i5 wont bottleneck.

So look for cards with enough outputs. Do you game or only want to be able to use your extended desktop?

You don't need to SLi to run 4 monitors, what's needed is just another card. The FX5200 is not supported by the drivers the 9400GT uses.
m
l
February 28, 2012 8:01:59 PM

Oh wow, that isnt bad. 114, then i could run the one off the onboard... Awesome.. THANKS GUYS!
m
l
February 28, 2012 8:06:10 PM

Well looks like that card only supports 2 configurable desktops. I'm needing to have 5 desktops i can configure and put certain windows on each.
m
l
February 28, 2012 8:42:18 PM

fxodaggoth said:
Well looks like that card only supports 2 configurable desktops. I'm needing to have 5 desktops i can configure and put certain windows on each.

Those are not 2 DVI ports if you look closely at the pic. There are two breakout dongles included to give you a total of 4 DVI outputs. Use your onboard for the 5th.
*edit* didn't read the reviews. you're correct. Have you considered USB video cards?
m
l
February 28, 2012 8:50:31 PM

humm. i hadnt considered usb video cards.... would those actually work??? :o 
m
l
February 28, 2012 9:59:49 PM

Well I imagine there is extremely limited 3d & video acceleration, and also limited max resolution. To drive HD resolutions and retain full 3D & video accel, go with a single high end card and u'll have to spend on some DisplayPort to DVI adapters. So it is an expensive proposition without a 2nd PCI-E slot.

Though these type of MDT video cards make u pair up monitors so instead of 4 desktops, u have 2 spanned desktops- u could still manually size windows to fit each physical monitor. I've not used nVidia or multiple displays in long while, but I remember the display driver having utilities to manage desktops and options for window snapping to physical monitors.

also since it is for work, u should probably invest in a pro/workstation card. I would go with something like this FirePro, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!