Old-style "Web view" folder in Win XP with SP2

Is it possible to get old-style look for folders like in win98 so i could
customize links in left panel. Please don`t tell me that "Common task pane"
is the same... because it is not configable

Common Tasks may not be the same, but it's what you get with XP.

Type: Enable Web Content in the search box in Help and Support and see
what results.
==

[[You can display hyperlinks to common tasks in the left pane of your folder
windows. The links provide quick access to file and folder management
activities and other places on your computer, such as My Computer, Shared
Documents, and My Network Places. Windows displays these links by default,
so they may already be displayed in your folders. If they are not, you can
use Folder Options to enable this feature.]]

Start | Run | Type: control folders | OK |
General tab | ? Show common tasks in folders
[[Specifies that hyperlinks to common folder tasks and other places on your
computer are displayed in folders. These links appear in the left pane of
the folder window.]]

Enable or disable Common Tasks pane in folders
http://www.winxptutor.com/commontasks.htm

"Single-click to open an item" in the Folder Options is grayed out
The option Show Common tasks in folders will also grayed out.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/singleclickfolder.htm
===

Web View & Enable Web content in Folders in XP is Common Tasks.

Web View Bar Is Not Visible in a Folder Window
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291102

[[The Web View bar (with Tasks, Other Places, and Details sections) may not
be visible in a folder window, even though the Enable Web Content In Folders
option is selected under Folder Options. ]]

That part of the KB Article is incorrect for Windows XP. The Web View bar
is called Tasks pane. Enable Web Content in Folders Options is Show common
tasks in folders.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:D86ACA94-9705-4341-9958-0AC8BA76D15B@microsoft.com,
skiba <skiba@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Is it possible to get old-style look for folders like in win98 so i
> could customize links in left panel. Please don`t tell me that
> "Common task pane" is the same... because it is not configable

kelly

What exactly are you trying to do? Common Tasks are not the only choice!

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"skiba" <skiba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to get old-style look for folders like in win98 so i could
> customize links in left panel. Please don`t tell me that "Common task
> pane"
> is the same... because it is not configable

kelly

As for Web View exclusively, that is your only option.

--

> Common Tasks may not be the same, but it's what you get with XP.
>
> Type: Enable Web Content in the search box in Help and Support and see
> what results.
> ==
>
> [[You can display hyperlinks to common tasks in the left pane of your
> folder
> windows. The links provide quick access to file and folder management
> activities and other places on your computer, such as My Computer, Shared
> Documents, and My Network Places. Windows displays these links by default,
> so they may already be displayed in your folders. If they are not, you can
> use Folder Options to enable this feature.]]
>
> Start | Run | Type: control folders | OK |
> General tab | ? Show common tasks in folders
> [[Specifies that hyperlinks to common folder tasks and other places on
> your
> computer are displayed in folders. These links appear in the left pane of
> the folder window.]]
>
> Enable or disable Common Tasks pane in folders
> http://www.winxptutor.com/commontasks.htm
>
> "Single-click to open an item" in the Folder Options is grayed out
> The option Show Common tasks in folders will also grayed out.
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/singleclickfolder.htm
> ===
>
> Web View & Enable Web content in Folders in XP is Common Tasks.
>
> Web View Bar Is Not Visible in a Folder Window
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291102
>
> [[The Web View bar (with Tasks, Other Places, and Details sections) may
> not
> be visible in a folder window, even though the Enable Web Content In
> Folders
> option is selected under Folder Options. ]]
>
> That part of the KB Article is incorrect for Windows XP. The Web View bar
> is called Tasks pane. Enable Web Content in Folders Options is Show
> common
> tasks in folders.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:D86ACA94-9705-4341-9958-0AC8BA76D15B@microsoft.com,
> skiba <skiba@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Is it possible to get old-style look for folders like in win98 so i
>> could customize links in left panel. Please don`t tell me that
>> "Common task pane" is the same... because it is not configable

I want to have links to my favorite folders, hard drives, no matter where i
am now

>>Please don`t tell me that "Common task pane" is the same...

"skiba" <skiba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
| I want to have links to my favorite folders, hard drives, no matter where i
| am now
|
| >>Please don`t tell me that "Common task pane" is the same...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819028
Windows Explorer No Longer Displays Web View Templates or HTML Customizations (Using Folder.htt) [XP sp1]

(includes workaround)