Sign in with
Your question

Need some help with new rig. Question about PSU and parts.

Last response: in Systems
May 4, 2012 8:31:26 PM

So I ran into a predicament. The program through my school does not offer full version of Win7 but only upgrades. Now I have to dish out 100 bucks for Home Premium which is quite the setback for me.

This is my current parts:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Anything in there that I can swap out that are too good? Maybe get something of equal value for cheaper?

Also is the PSU wattage fine? Do I need 650 or can I tune that down?

Thanks

More about : rig question psu parts

a c 92 B Homebuilt system
May 4, 2012 9:36:20 PM

650 will be fine and that's a good choice for PSU. Everything else looks good in that build - there's not a whole lot I would change about it - except the CPU - if you're going to overclock I'd get the 3570K, if not the 3550 will be fine.
m
l
May 4, 2012 9:45:09 PM

compared to the core 2 duo I'm running now, even without OC this should be fine for a good while. However seeing how I don't plan on OC could I remove the cooler? Or should I have that anyyway to keep temps down.
m
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
May 4, 2012 10:29:53 PM

ak120691 said:
compared to the core 2 duo I'm running now, even without OC this should be fine for a good while. However seeing how I don't plan on OC could I remove the cooler? Or should I have that anyyway to keep temps down.

That's where it gets a bit tricky - even on stock speeds Ivy runs a bit hotter than Sandy does - a fan like a Hyper 212 will greatly reduce system temperatures but you can always add one later - the case you chose makes it really easy to do so. I think as long as you set up your cooling solution properly you should have no problems.
m
l
!