AMD A6-3420M with AMD 6650M Dual Graphics Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperCorgii

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Hey so I just got a Lenovo Z575 Laptop with my tax return, I love it the APU's that AMD has out are pretty great for low budget gaming, I can still pull a good Medium/High Graphics on a lot of my games (Bear in mind I play Borderlands, Fallout New Vegas, Left 4 Dead 2 etc. so haven't tried Crysis or anything silly like that) The only problem I'm having is getting software to register the Dual Graphics Tech that this laptop should be capable of, or even for them to see the 6650M. I can see the dedicated graphics in Device Manager and I can see it with AMD's own System Monitor Program but when I try to use CPU-Z or GPU-Z they don't even register the dedicated card let alone the 6720G2 it's supposed to be running at. I've tried using it on and off Battery as well as totally removing the battery and just having it plugged in. The AMD Catalyst Engine has Crossfire selected so it should be activated. It's driving me nuts that it seems like a software problem and I can't seem to get it working.

P.S. I've also updated the BiOS to the most recent as well as the Catalyst Engine (12.1)

Edit: So I got it working, AMD's System Monitor registers the Dual Graphics is active, just nothing else says it is though I'm definitely seeing the two cards sharing the workload, I also managed a stable OC of the CPU to 2ghz with a turbo core of 2.8ghz

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Run a frame rate test with the click box for crossfire enabled/ then re-run disabled. If there is a difference, gpu-z just isn't reporting correctly but its working properly and there's not a lot to worry about.

If it doesn't work, your best best is hitting amd.com's forums to see if people are having similar issues since this is a relatively new crossfire approach on their behalf.

SniperCorgii

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Ok well I've ran Fallout New Vegas using the AMD system monitor and the 6650M doesn't even have any workload put on it so I'll hop over to AMD and see what I can find, It's worrying me that it may be hardware but since two pieces of software can see the 6650M as existing even if it's not actually being used.

fleepoman

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
the thing is with amds new dula graphics solution, the 6720g is in the a6 cpu and it is used almost all of the time. when you play games that require more cpu power like crisis or battlefield 3, and other frostbite games, the 6650m kicks in along with the 6720g to provide a kinda sorta crossfire system. your 6650m is working, its just not being used. There is nothing wrong with your laptop. i play bf3 on my Z575 on medium/high, depending on what else i have running. if you were to run something that had more demanding graphics then gpu-z would see it but normally, it just isnt in use. and dont worry, it automatically kicks in, so you dont have to go in and change any settings before you play more demanding or newer games.

Status
Not open for further replies.