The hardest desicion

Status
Not open for further replies.

juraba

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
So the time has come. I need a new video card but I cannot decide which one. I will post some of the video cards that caught my eye, and their prices in my country (Bulgaria)

SAPPHIRE HD7770 1G GDDR5 BULK : ~179$
SAPPHIRE HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCIE : ~181$
GIGABYTE R6850 OC-1GB GDDR5 : ~190$
SAPPHIRE 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE : ~213$
These are the cheapest ones i could find. (Brand new of course)

So what I'm asking you which card is best for it's money, which do you think I should buy, and suggest an adequate power supply for my system (Not too expensive, Im on a tight budget)?

the sys specs are:
Core i3 2100 @stock
4gb Corsair value ram @1333mhz
Asus P8H61-M LE mobo
500gb HDD Western Digital @7200rpm
And of course the generic 400w power supply that comes with the case.

Any suggestion or comment would be much appreciated.
Thank you!

PS. Im not interested in GTX 460/560. Its just that they are more expensive than they should be here.

Solution
The Fortron is acceptable as jtt283 said , you can then grab the SAPPHIRE 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE, as it is the fastest card from the ones you chose.
Newegg links are of no value to someone in Bulgaria, who has listed the cards available to him within his budget.
What PSUs are available to you? A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch; the Antec VP450 is a notable exception) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency (the VP450 is efficient enough to qualify if it had active PFC).
A 380W Antec Earthwatts would be sufficient even for a HD6850. For a more powerful GPU, you probably want 500W, which typically has the two PCIE power cables such cards require. While it is possible to use adapters (which often come with GPUs), if a PSU doesn't have those cables, it may not have strong enough +12V rails to support a powerful GPU and might die [violently] trying.

Edit: Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. FSP and OCZ, if new models, are likely acceptable as well. Apevia, Logysys, Diablotek, and Crappermaster (Coolermaster) should be avoided.

juraba

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
So I browsed for PSUs and I saw this brand Fortron, which are claimed to have 80+ efficiency at an affordable price. Are they acceptable or I should go for the Corsair 500w, which is more expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.