Question about wireless new router

bartsarzy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
I think it is time for a new router. I currently habe a belkin N150 wireless router. Here is the webpage if you need additional information; http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=492429.

My wireless internet is very slow. If I were to get a dual band wireless router, knowing I have a single band router, will it speed up my wireless and wired? Also will it help with the wireless Blu-ray players to help stream Netflix faster than what is now? It is very slow steaming HD movies. If it will help me with my speed which one should I get. My budget is around $200. The cheaper the better, but I do not want to sacrifice great speed because it is cheaper. I want a good brand not a cheap brand. If you can help please post. Thanks in advance

Solution
a good N-router like a Linksys E2000 or Netgear 3700 might give you better signal strength since they they support 300 Mb wireless.

Dual might not be necessary since most devices run 2.4 GHz and do not support 5 GHz.
What speed is your internet connection ?? Doubtful that a new router would improve speed since the router you have is already much faster than your internet connection (a single channel wireless N connection supports up to approx 130 -150Mb\s which in most cases is substantially higher than your internet connection speed ! So the problem is more likely the actual speed of your internet connection not the router !

bartsarzy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010

My internet in 20 or so Mbps. What I am try to say is my computers which are connected through a wired connection are receiving a connection that is about 24 Mbps according to www.Speedtest.net. But on my wireless connection I can only get about 3Mbps which is horrible for my blu-ray players with Netflix streaming HD movies. Will a dual band or high single band boost my wireless to match or be close to my wired connection? Thanks

tkrl26

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Look at the available wireless networks near you... What channel are you running on, and what channels is everyone else running on? If to many people are on the same channel it can decrease your speeds and cause issues. Also, how far is the Wireless access point? Are you able to move it closer to the middle of the house?

Wireless will never come close to a wired connection, but if all else fails a better router will always be better. Check out Newegg.com for wireless routers, you can read what others have to say about products. Most people give stats which will really help you choose the right one for you!

bartsarzy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010

should I get a dual band w/ the 5 Ghz because on of my wireless blu ray players has 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz wireless receivers. Will the 5 Ghz be faster?