Sign in with
Your question
Solved

The lifespan on the 1155 vs the AM3+???

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 19, 2012 2:59:32 AM

Hello All,

Basically what is stated in the title what is the lifespan left on the two companies leading sockets?

I use to just have to think of just my own upgrade path but my girlfriend has taking a liking to gaming as well.

I am kind of looking for the most mileage out of my upgrades as well and while I am like a raccoon that likes shiny things while I am in a electronics store my girlfriend "doesn't care what is in the box as long as i have decent frame rates."

Basically meaning all of my parts will be recycled through 2 if not 3 systems, To me there seems to be a big advantage to a company that doesn't constantly make you motherboards out of date.

I was under the impression the AMD had a farely long life cycle on the sockets. On the last board I got a 140W CPU support only to have AMD move on from the AM3 to the AM3+.

So when is Intel ditching the 1155?

When is AMD ditching the AM3?

More about : lifespan 1155 am3

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
August 19, 2012 3:16:14 AM

1155 is dead now, with Ivy Bridge (Haswell, the next gen, will be on 1150) and AM3+ is probably dead after Piledriver (no confirmation on that yet, though).

The upshot to that is that a current i5 or i7 will last you for a couple more generations, at least (and honestly, so will Piledriver for AMD, probably).
August 19, 2012 3:17:02 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
1155 is dead now, with Ivy Bridge (Haswell, the next gen, will be on 1150) and AM3+ is probably dead after Piledriver (no confirmation on that yet, though).

The upshot to that is that a current i5 or i7 will last you for a couple more of generations, at least (and honestly, so will Piledriver for AMD, probably).

+1
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
August 19, 2012 3:33:27 AM

I'll add to what DJ said and say, generally you should buy a system that you think will last you for maybe 3 or 4 years at the most. Older than that as far as "upgrade paths", usually for performance you're going to be better off scrapping the system, cannibalizing what parts you can (the case, power supply, hard drive, optical drive) and doing a new build.

Never spend tons of money for parts that are more than what you actually need to do what you want to do in the name of "future proofing". This almost always is going to cost more money for less performance. For example: Spend 800 today for a system build that will give you great gaming performance for 3 years, and then spend another 800 in 3 years, vs spending 2 or 3 grand on a system with way more power than you need and expecting it to stay on top of things for 8 or 9 years.. It won't. Anything older than 4 or 5 years, I would consider a "dinosaur".
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
August 19, 2012 7:06:50 AM

I would say that PileDriver will be the last CPU for socket AM3+. They need to reduce their processor product lines to just the Opteron for servers and their APUs (CPUs + graphic core). That should help them save money in both R&D and production. I really do not see the need to offer both CPU and APU to retail customers.

AMD needs to cut expenses because they really do not have a lot of money. Recently (August 6th), AMD issues senior debt that's due in 2022 (basically 10 year bonds) to use for general corporate operation expenses, pay down their current debt, make payments to Global Foundries and possibly use left over money for acquisitions. I believe AMD issued enough senior debt to raise $2.3 billion that will come due in 2022.

I think the safe assumption for PileDriver is that it will be around 10% more powerful than Phenom II / FX. That sounds good, but that only puts PileDriver on the same performance level as the 1st generation Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs. They would need another 20% to match Intel's 3rd generation Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs (Ivy Bridge). That means if AMD were to continue to produce socket AM3+ CPUs, then it will take about 2 to 3 years for AMD to match Intel's current lineup of CPUs.

2 years from now Intel will be releasing Broadwell (a tweaked version of Intel's upcoming Haswell CPU). 3 years from now Intel will be releasing a new CPU architecture; Skylake.
m
l
August 19, 2012 3:59:11 PM

Best answer selected by ccovemaker.
m
l
August 20, 2012 8:04:06 PM

So of the next gen Haswell and the liek how long will they stay on there current sockets?
m
l
August 20, 2012 8:07:02 PM

ccovemaker said:
So of the next gen Haswell and the liek how long will they stay on there current sockets?

both the tick-tock of haswell but maybe only for the first tick of skylake

remember chipsets also change

consider ddr4 vs ddr3
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
August 20, 2012 8:07:33 PM

ccovemaker said:

Haswell and its successor Broadwell will both be 1150 (almost definitely, if they keep with the cycle they're on currently), so around 2 years, but after that, Skylake, the next gen after Broadwell, will probably be on a new socket.
m
l
August 20, 2012 8:08:48 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
You can see that future proofing and choosing parts based on upgrade paths isn't really possible or feasible, with sockets or anything else.

quality case and a quality psu will last 5 years?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
August 20, 2012 8:09:37 PM

You can see that future proofing and choosing parts based on upgrade paths isn't really possible or feasible, with sockets or anything else.
m
l
August 20, 2012 8:10:33 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yeah, those will do, but I was really taking about the core components like the CPU, mobo, and GPU.

yeah i know
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
August 20, 2012 8:12:03 PM

whatismyproblem said:
quality case and a quality psu will last 5 years?

Yeah, those will do, but I was really taking about the core components like the CPU, mobo, and GPU.
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
August 21, 2012 12:43:35 AM

Haswell....... 2013.... socket 1150
Broadwell.... 2014.... socket 1150
Skylake........ 2015.... socket unknown (at least to me, but it will not be socket 1150)

A good quality PSU can last for several year. I have a Seasonic S12 500w PSU in my HTPC which I bought back in 2005. I exclusively buy Seasonic PSUs, but I may buy a Corsair PSU next time, but only if the model is manufactured by Seasonic.
m
l
a c 138 à CPUs
August 21, 2012 1:49:38 AM

nekulturny said:
Anything older than 4 or 5 years, I would consider a "dinosaur".

Usually, a "dinosaur" would be unsuitable for anything but even a 5-6 years old Core2 E8xxx/E9xxx can run most of today's games reasonably well. My dinosaur will likely roam the Earth for many more years to come, albeit not as my main PC for much longer.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 21, 2012 2:16:31 AM

I know what you're saying, I have a Core2Duo in a Dell laptop, its still pretty peppy, but definitely a dinosaur lol.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 21, 2012 2:39:29 PM

Both dead sockets at the end of this generation of processors.

Did someone imply that AMD is currently 30% slower than Intel, thats a lie before God. Just because AMD release a new chip doesn't mean it has to go up increments of 1 generation there is nothing to imply that it is now First gen CoreI.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 21, 2012 4:38:22 PM

Quote:
Just because AMD release a new chip doesn't mean it has to go up increments of 1 generation there is nothing to imply that it is now First gen CoreI.

Yea, I don't know how that figure comes out either, people running around "well, its impossible for AMD to match Intel with just one generation"...

As if there is a finite limit to how much one can improve a product in a single generation change. I seem to recall only a few years ago Intel had terrible CPUs, a couple back to back lukewarm, unimpressive generations (I'm talking Pentium 4 and Pentium D time-frame) and then they got the Core2 series online and got their s%#$ together.

For all you know, the janitor might have a brain fart and suggest it to an engineer and change everything overnight. Unlikely of course, but not impossible.
m
l
a c 138 à CPUs
August 21, 2012 5:15:22 PM

nekulturny said:
I seem to recall only a few years ago Intel had terrible CPUs, a couple back to back lukewarm, unimpressive generations (I'm talking Pentium 4 and Pentium D time-frame) and then they got the Core2 series online and got their s%#$ together.

The difference here is that the Pentium 4 was a major regression relative to the Pentium 3. When Intel gave up on Netburst, they went back to the pre-Netburst design philosophy, imported all the major improvements that did not get a chance to shine in Netburst to create the foundation for the whole Core series. The performance between P4 and Core is not due to some miracle breakthrough, it is mainly due to Intel finding out the hard way that their lofty Netburst goals of 5-10GHz CPUs turned out to be impossible to achieve in a practical and economical way at least for the time being.

On the other hand, AMD is continuously struggling to catch up. They do not have a bold new design that may either drastically change how AMD designs its new high-end CPUs or at least yield new ideas that can be applied to prior design philosophies. That is why few people have any expectations of AMD pulling a performance rabbit out of their hat the way Intel did going from P4 to Core.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2012 6:24:40 AM

But AMD's philosophy to the CPU market is different to Intel's, AMD's is orientated to future HSA and Cloud computing, in that regard the "Fusion" is significantly ahead of anything Intel have. As for the architecture there is nothing wrong with the concept, and with PD they have already refined BD architecture to get gains out of it, SR is expected to be radical in that it will be the first true CPU/GPU fusion that could change the DT market entirely with IGPU capable of gaming on High presets.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2012 6:38:47 AM

amd doesnt make any more cpu for am3 socket ? are socket am3+ cpu's compatible with am3 boards.. and what compatibility with am2+ boards ? hmm the lovely days of am2 boards.. :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2012 6:42:22 AM

hey guys forgot to ask.. is my pc now a 'dinosaur' ? amd athlon 64x2 4600+, 3gb ddr2 ram, am2 mobo, hd5450 ... looking to build a new llano or trinity based system soon..
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2012 6:52:17 AM

Yup thats a dinosaur but one worth keeping in a museum.

AM3+ chips can work on AM3 sockets with flashes but its not worth it, AM3 chips work on AM3+ boards no problem.

If you go trinity you will need the FM sockets which are for APU's only.
m
l
!