Sign in with
Your question

XFX HD Radeon 6870 - Possibly Defective?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 28, 2012 7:44:37 PM

Last month I had made this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/339522-33-radeon-6870...

Basically the short story, we had a couple instances where the card would just graphically freak out in a game. He would have to close whichever game(WoW,Bf3), restart the game and it would run fine. At first I thought it was the 500W PSU he had so we bought a Corsair TX 750W. Things seemed ok after that however he has had the same issue happen once, but now he seems to be getting "Driver has stopped responding but recovered Succesfully" once or twice a day and sometimes he gets a black screen to where he has to restart and everything runs fine for a while.

Would you guys say that the cards is defective, or the drivers are bugging out? I have updated the drivers several times for him however Im not sure if I uninstalled the previous drivers correctly before. Any tips would be wonderful. Thank you.
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2012 8:17:47 PM

What is the specs for the whole system? (I read the thread you posted for system specs and issues) Does it fail in every game or just particular ones. I'm leaning toward a bad card but I'd like more info to know for sure.

I think it's safe to say it's the card. Run furmark, if you get artifacts it's bad, if not try OCCT w/error checking and if you start getting errors then you have a problem.
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
February 28, 2012 8:27:44 PM

Could possibly be a driver problem , remove all the drivers using driver sweeper and do a clean install of the latest drivers from ATI and see if it makes any difference.
m
l
Related resources
February 28, 2012 9:20:48 PM

Omega21xx - It seems to happen during random gaming not any particular game. Where can I get Furmark and Also what is OCCT?

Monsta - I went to go download driver sweeper and the website said the program was discontinued? Is there anywhere else I can get similar software?

I ran furmark for 10 minutes, no artifacts at all. Hit 77C max temp 1920x1080(Full Screen) no AA
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2012 9:37:18 PM

Valkurm said:
Omega21xx - It seems to happen during random gaming not any particular game. Where can I get Furmark and Also what is OCCT?

Monsta - I went to go download driver sweeper and the website said the program was discontinued? Is there anywhere else I can get similar software?

I ran furmark for 10 minutes, no artifacts at all. Hit 77C max temp 1920x1080(Full Screen) no AA

You'd need to run it longer than 10 minutes, but http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download
Is more reliable as it will find errors that your eyes otherwise would not see. Just make sure to check the box "error checking"
m
l
February 29, 2012 12:13:57 AM

About how long should I run? Hour?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 29, 2012 12:20:08 AM

Valkurm said:
About how long should I run? Hour?

That's what is suggested as to show stabilty for GPU OC'ing and will work in this case as well since we are testing stabilty. I really suggest OCCT as it will pick up errors for you which furmark can't do. If you use OCCT and get errors during that hour or a crash I'd say you got yourself a bad gpu.
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
February 29, 2012 12:20:40 AM

Ah damn , uninstall the display driver and then you can locate the folders manually and delete them yourself, go into program files and locate the ATI drivers and delete them.
Use something like CCleaner to clean up any residual files and then do a clean install of the latest drivers from ATI.
m
l
!