Gadget Maniac

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hi
I have a Evga Nvidia 550ti superclocked, in a antec 1200 case with 6 case fans but with just programs like itunes visualiser it is reaching temperatures of 66 c at around 50% of the cards usage. I am worried about when I start playing games like skyrim it will blow and i am not willing to dish out another £80 for the graphics.
One reason i thought it might have to do with is instead of a normal 6 pin pci power cable i am using an adapter that came with the graphics card to change 2 molex cables to a 6 pin and one of those molexs i have daisy chained the 6 case fans on. recently soon after i installed the card i acciedently knocked the power cable so the computer shut down and when it restarted about 30 secs in it all when red( you could still see everything but very red) so i did a restart and the screen wouldnt show anything so iu waited and it all came up and i did a system restore and it is all alright a t the moment but i havent push the graphics card yet. at one point i would like to attach a 3d monitor to it and play high end games but at this rate after 2 days it is not looking as if it would cope
Many Thanks Gadget Maniac

monsta

Splendid
Your temps are fine , thats normal , you have better temps than me.
If you want to play high end games on a 3D monitor you may want to look at a higher end card to play them, the 550ti won't cut it for the high end.
Try and change the molex you put to a spare one , even if it means you lose a fan , your graphics card comes first.

Gadget Maniac

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Thanks big mack70
It is that I am worries about playing high end games on it in case it blows because I have heard of cases where one component has blown destroying the whole PC and if I add 3d to these games it will be reaching some pretty high temps

Gadget Maniac

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Thanks
Fair enough. And I got Eva precision so I get the gpu stats in the tray( bottom right) but you only think temperatures near 90s that I should be worried about

bigj231

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
My 4870X2 idles at 60C, so as long as the fan is working and the card stays below whatever it's rated to, you should be fine. I had a 4850 that I BIOS modded so it would idle at 40C and ramp up the fan so that it never ran above 70C. I'm not sure about the BIOS modding scene for nVidia cards. Just beware that if you have a problem while flashing the BIOS, you have a very expensive paperweight. A BIOS mod will void your warranty.

IF you made sure everything was plugged in properly after you bumped the cord, everything should be fine. Maybe just run some sort of benchmark first to see if there are any problems. If you think the card isn't getting enough power, you could move the fans to another lead from the PSU. Also, since you don't have a dedicated PCIE power lead, you might want to make sure that your PSU is capable of providing enough power on the 12V rail.

One last thing. If you bought the card new, you should have a warranty. IF it starts having problems, you can always RMA it.

2fast4thetown_down

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

Do you like the 550ti?? because i am thinking about getting it and want to know your thoughts. Can you post your windows index experience??