Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New case or VGA cooler?

Last response: in Components
Share
August 19, 2012 6:11:46 AM

So my brother has one of those stock Gateway FX computers which has been fine until recently in which he started to experience lag. I helped him dust the inside and it was fine for about a month until the lag came back. So I downloaded HWMoniter and every temperature seemed fine except for the GPU which was a GTX 285. It was idling at about 60 C and reached 100+ C under load. Seeing how those stock Gateway cases has crap airflow, I recommended a new case. He said he had a tight budget, so I recommended a VGA cooler. He wants to know which option would cool down the GPU more. What do you guys think?

Specs:

i7 920 2.67 GHZ
TBGM01 mobo
12 GB DDR3
GTX 285
Not sure about PSU
1 TB HDD

More about : case vga cooler

August 19, 2012 6:38:43 AM

A good GPU cooler would probably cost about the same as a case with good airflow.
Arctic cooling do GPU coolers though so you could look at them
m
0
l
a c 92 ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 6:45:59 AM

I know they were hot and you just cleaned it, but did you clean the GTX285? I'd take another look at it.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 19, 2012 10:41:29 AM

4745454b said:
I know they were hot and you just cleaned it, but did you clean the GTX285? I'd take another look at it.


Yes, I cleaned everything inside the case, which was why it was running just fine and cool until a few days ago. The question is, what will cool the GPU more effectively: a new case with good air flow, or a VGA cooler?
m
0
l
a c 92 ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 10:53:45 AM

Quote:
The question is, what will cool the GPU more effectively: a new case with good air flow, or a VGA cooler?


That's the question as you see it. Might not be the case. (no pun or hint intended.)
m
0
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 11:10:00 AM

keereeyos said:
So my brother has one of those stock Gateway FX computers which has been fine until recently in which he started to experience lag. I helped him dust the inside and it was fine for about a month until the lag came back. So I downloaded HWMoniter and every temperature seemed fine except for the GPU which was a GTX 285. It was idling at about 60 C and reached 100+ C under load. Seeing how those stock Gateway cases has crap airflow, I recommended a new case. He said he had a tight budget, so I recommended a VGA cooler. He wants to know which option would cool down the GPU more. What do you guys think?

Specs:

i7 920 2.67 GHZ
TBGM01 mobo
12 GB DDR3
GTX 285
Not sure about PSU
1 TB HDD


Definitely a new better case would be of more benefit this one would be perfect..

http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=704923&fid=4&lan=us
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/antec-one-black-mid-towe...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Share
a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 11:11:28 AM

But when you transfer the parts be sure to thoroughly clean all the components with some canned compressed air and a clean paint brush.
m
0
l
August 19, 2012 9:06:08 PM

My brother decided to get a case, since he might upgrade sometime later. Thanks for the answers.
m
0
l
August 19, 2012 9:08:17 PM

Best answer selected by keereeyos.
m
0
l
!