customer retention dept?

RobR

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2004

Just wondering how I'd reach these guys? They're usually the
ones who can cut through the red tape and offer you the
best deals.

My problem is we just moved, and the new house barely
has cell service, my SE and my wife's Samsung are
virtually useless, so after some research on Howard's,
it seems our best solution is to replace our phones with
a Nokia 6620, 6230 or a RAZR. I called Cingular for pricing
on these, but because we have a 2 years contract
with 8 months remaining, I was told the best they
could offer was $200 each. It's cheaper for me
to break our contract, pay the $350 and jump on
with Tmobile who will give us two new RAZRs for
free after rebates (and has better coverage at the new place).

I'd prefer to stay with Cingular, I don't mind signing
another contract, but I need to do quite a bit better than
$400 for a pair of phones. The 611 and 866-CINGULAR
people are useless. Any ideas? Thanks!

RobR wrote:
> Just wondering how I'd reach these guys? They're usually the
> ones who can cut through the red tape and offer you the
> best deals.
>
> My problem is we just moved, and the new house barely
> has cell service, my SE and my wife's Samsung are
> virtually useless, so after some research on Howard's,
> it seems our best solution is to replace our phones with
> a Nokia 6620, 6230 or a RAZR. I called Cingular for pricing
> on these, but because we have a 2 years contract
> with 8 months remaining, I was told the best they
> could offer was $200 each. It's cheaper for me
> to break our contract, pay the $350 and jump on
> with Tmobile who will give us two new RAZRs for
> free after rebates (and has better coverage at the new place).
>
> I'd prefer to stay with Cingular, I don't mind signing
> another contract, but I need to do quite a bit better than
> $400 for a pair of phones. The 611 and 866-CINGULAR
> people are useless. Any ideas? Thanks!

How sure are you that new phones will solve the problem? With a weak
signal you may only go from virtually useless to only works on the side
of the house facing the tower.

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:00:38 GMT, "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Just wondering how I'd reach these guys? They're usually the
>ones who can cut through the red tape and offer you the
>best deals.
>
>My problem is we just moved, and the new house barely
>has cell service, my SE and my wife's Samsung are
>virtually useless, so after some research on Howard's,
>it seems our best solution is to replace our phones with
>a Nokia 6620, 6230 or a RAZR. I called Cingular for pricing
>on these, but because we have a 2 years contract
>with 8 months remaining, I was told the best they
>could offer was $200 each. It's cheaper for me
>to break our contract, pay the $350 and jump on
>with Tmobile who will give us two new RAZRs for
>free after rebates (and has better coverage at the new place).
>
>I'd prefer to stay with Cingular, I don't mind signing
>another contract, but I need to do quite a bit better than
>$400 for a pair of phones. The 611 and 866-CINGULAR
>people are useless. Any ideas? Thanks!

The RAZR works great but probably not good enough to overcome an
inadequate signal. You will probably notice fluctuations in signal
strength which is also common if you are not line of sight.

Before you go to all the trouble and expense of getting new phones,
see if you can get someone to come over and check it out for awhile.

You may not have any other choice but switching.

BTW, retention is usually reached from the choices to disconnect
service.

> How sure are you that new phones will solve the problem? With a weak
> signal you may only go from virtually useless to only works on the side of
> the house facing the tower.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The Nokia models will offer the best
reception, period. But if reception isn't at least adequate to begin with,
the only solution is to switch to a different cell carrier. -Dave

In <Wa8Ge.2002$QX2.1812@trndny01> on Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:00:38 GMT, "RobR"
<nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>My problem is we just moved, and the new house barely
>has cell service, my SE and my wife's Samsung are
>virtually useless, so after some research on Howard's,
>it seems our best solution is to replace our phones with
>a Nokia 6620, 6230 or a RAZR. ...

It's doubtful that one of those phones would make a significant difference.
You may need to switch carriers.

In <v8bke1l933k0a57tnv52e944pi1a1uuqgo@4ax.com> on Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:21:56
-0400, nospam@ptd.net wrote:

>There is a HUGE difference if you don't have the 850 band. I don't
>know if your phones have both or not.

It's only a HUGE difference if there's better 850 signal where you happen to
be. Here in Northern California, my non-850 phone works just as well as
phones with 850.