Downgrading from Win8 to Win7

ignus

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
hi
i need to downgrade a samsung e300e5c from win8 to win7. but the bios does not show hdd or dvd for boot priorities. it does not start setup process. i have tried changing the os type and disabled secure boot.

please help, this is very urgent

ignus

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
A bit disturbing to say the least.
Have you checked the basic bios setting to see if it picked up the HD and the DVD rom drive. I don`t mean the boot order menu, but is the bios detecting the drives.
The problem normally comes down to the interface selected in the bios, for example Changing from Sata mode to AHCI, saving the settings, a restart. then going into the bios shows the bootable drives Ie: HD and DVD rom drive. Btw you were right to disable secure boot as a test.
If it works just make sure the first boot device is set to DVD rom to boot from the OS install Disc in the drive. Then off you go!

ignus

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
yeah, it identifies the hdd and dvd in system info tab, but as i said it does not give me boot device options other than 'windows boot manager'

i have done a lot of upgrades and downgrades in h/ware and s/ware

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
You just confused me there.
Right you go into the bios by pressing the Del, key. F1 key or F2 key when you first power the system on yes?
It shows the HD and the DVD drive as detected by the bios in its first main page yes.
But your saying in the boot order of devices in the bios it does not show them as listed so you can move the boot order of devices from Ie: 1, Hd 2.DVD writer drive to no one in the list to boot from. You see you sort of got me there because it looks like your pressing the F10,F11,or F12 key.

Normaly that just has to do with the selection of boot devices and dual OS`s running on say the laptop as a choice to boot another OS from another drive ect, or if two OS`s can be run/ launched. from the same drive as a choice Knowing windows boot manger pops up F10, F11, or F12 keys when pressed.

ignus

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
that is correct, bios detects hdd and dvd, but i cant change or see devices in the boot priorities, there is only 1 entry which is the windows boot manager.
i am going to have to try win8 again. a friend says he thinks its a safety mech to stop you (me) from downgrading.

the machine is not old, what are the chances of samsung adapting the bios to only work with win8?

ignus

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
a family request, i tried win8 disc, no win setup, only recovery module. which cant recover or re instate anything. but when rebooting, the laptop falls into repetetive restart.

cpoindex

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Similar problem. I have an Asus UX32V Ultrabook that came pre-loaded with Windows 8 and no install disk or USB drive. I was hoping to dual boot Windows 7 and 8 but I haven't been able to make that work. I have created a Windows 7 USB but when I start the install process I get an error message stating "‘Windows cannot be installed to this disk, The selected disk is of the GPT partition style’".

My next thought would be to do a clean install of everything. Install Windows 7 from scratch and then add Windows 8 as a dual boot since there are alot of instructions on the web about how to accomplish that. Sounded like a good plan but since I wasn't given a Windows 8 Install disk, it seems to me that Windows 8 would be lost to me forever if I wipe the hard drive. Not sure what to do next.

ignus

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
yeah, but my problem's a little bit worse, I would prefer to do a clean install. but the problem is, the bios does not give me options under boot device priority. so i cant tell the machine to start up from the dvd or the usb.