Desktop Icons

I can't restore the "names" under the icons on my desktop to be
"transparent"... they stay in boxes which are of wallpaper colors I choose,
and there's no option for "clear"... Help?

kelly

Hi Saxon,

Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance/Settings/ Visual
Effects/"Use drop shadows for icon labels on the Desktop"

Also:

Right click the desktop and select Arrange Icons by. Towards the bottom of
that list, uncheck "Lock web items on the desktop."

Added info:

To have transparent text under icons - ALT+0160

Right click the icon in question, choose Rename, hold down the ALT key and
type 0160 from the keypad.

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Saxon Smith" <saxon@aracnet.com> wrote in message
>I can't restore the "names" under the icons on my desktop to be
>"transparent"... they stay in boxes which are of wallpaper colors I choose,
>and there's no option for "clear"... Help?

Hi Saxon,

Checkpoints to consider:

1) Right click on desktop >> arrange icons by >> uncheck "Lock Web items on
desktop"

2) Right click on My Computer >> Properties >> Advanced tab >> Settings
under 'Performance' >> check "Use drop shadows
for icon labels on desktop".

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:47:16 -0800, "Saxon Smith" <saxon@aracnet.com>
wrote:

>I can't restore the "names" under the icons on my desktop to be
>"transparent"... they stay in boxes which are of wallpaper colors I choose,
>and there's no option for "clear"... Help?

Right click "My Computer" icon and select "Properties"

Click "Advanced" tab

Under "Performace" click "Settings" button

Click "Visual Effect" tab if not already selected

Scroll dwon looking for:-

Use drop shadows for icon labels onb desktop

If it is not ticked, click on it to put a tick there.

Click "Apply" then click "OK"

This is what works for me.

--
The Aussie Bomber