  • HDMI
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
June 24, 2005 12:36:49 PM

Well according to the latest interview with Todd Holmdahl, all hope for HDMI
support with the 360 is lost.

I don't understand why Microsoft is making a Hi-Def system without HDMI or
DVI inputs.
This is not going to go over well with tech geeks such as myself. That is
one of the areas where MS got the most support in the first place.

More about : xbox 360 support hdmi dvi

June 24, 2005 12:36:50 PM

Well, it will only hurt them if the PS3 and Revolution support it.
Considering Nintendo doesn't even REALLY want to do component cables
right now I think we can write off the Revolution as having DVI.

This really is too bad though... so much for their "HD Generation" of
gaming.

- Jordan
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 12:41:10 PM

"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well according to the latest interview with Todd Holmdahl, all hope for
HDMI
> support with the 360 is lost.
>
> I don't understand why Microsoft is making a Hi-Def system without HDMI or
> DVI

**inputs** strike that.

I meant to say "outputs".

Hopefully MS will change their minds and include these output options for
their new console.
It will hurt them if they don't.
Related resources
June 24, 2005 1:27:10 PM

> "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Well according to the latest interview with Todd Holmdahl, all hope for
> HDMI
>> support with the 360 is lost.
>>
>> I don't understand why Microsoft is making a Hi-Def system without HDMI
>> or
>> DVI
>
> **inputs** strike that.
>
> I meant to say "outputs".
>
> Hopefully MS will change their minds and include these output options for
> their new console.
> It will hurt them if they don't.

I don't think it will as long as the games are good. I have one HDMI input
on my tv and I have my DVD set to that and I don't want to switch cables
back and forth.
June 24, 2005 1:52:00 PM

He's not the only one...

Saturn, Playstation, Dreamcast and Gamecube in the living room.

Xbox, PS2 in the bedroom.

Genesis/Sega CD/32X combo and Turbo DUO in the second bedroom.

Various hand-helds wherever they end up...

- Jordan
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 2:56:16 PM

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Well, it will only hurt them if the PS3 and Revolution support it.
> Considering Nintendo doesn't even REALLY want to do component cables
> right now I think we can write off the Revolution as having DVI.
>
> This really is too bad though... so much for their "HD Generation" of
> gaming.

The PS3 will support both.
Hopefully MS has the ability to add HDMI & DVI it on later with an adapter.
I just don't understand their logic for not having these options available
day 1.
It sure as hell isn't a deal breaker for me personally but if they don't
offer it down the line they will sway the HT enthusiast crowd to lean
towards a PS3.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 6:58:29 PM

Except those won't be launch titles, will they? I agree that the stuff
coming down the line will be ridiculous but I was just going off the
launch list at EB
June 24, 2005 7:41:42 PM

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>>Well, it will only hurt them if the PS3 and Revolution support it.
>>Considering Nintendo doesn't even REALLY want to do component cables
>>right now I think we can write off the Revolution as having DVI.
>>
>>This really is too bad though... so much for their "HD Generation" of
>>gaming.
>

> The PS3 will support both.
> Hopefully MS has the ability to add HDMI & DVI it on later with an adapter.
> I just don't understand their logic for not having these options available
> day 1.
> It sure as hell isn't a deal breaker for me personally but if they don't
> offer it down the line they will sway the HT enthusiast crowd to lean
> towards a PS3.

yeah, that 1080p is looking nicer and nicer. I just emptied my piggy
bank so I can purchase a new new Sharp or Samsung come spring.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 7:41:43 PM

"theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
> Boody Bandit wrote:
> > "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>Well, it will only hurt them if the PS3 and Revolution support it.
> >>Considering Nintendo doesn't even REALLY want to do component cables
> >>right now I think we can write off the Revolution as having DVI.
> >>
> >>This really is too bad though... so much for their "HD Generation" of
> >>gaming.
> >

> > The PS3 will support both.
> > Hopefully MS has the ability to add HDMI & DVI it on later with an
adapter.
> > I just don't understand their logic for not having these options
available
> > day 1.
> > It sure as hell isn't a deal breaker for me personally but if they don't
> > offer it down the line they will sway the HT enthusiast crowd to lean
> > towards a PS3.
> >

> yeah, that 1080p is looking nicer and nicer. I just emptied my piggy
> bank so I can purchase a new new Sharp or Samsung come spring.

AWESOME!
I am looking into getting a DLP 1080p set for my 2nd gaming room.
My wife has taken over the Theater/gaming room ever since I purchase a new
screen :(
June 24, 2005 8:46:41 PM

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>
>>Boody Bandit wrote:
>>
>>>"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>>The PS3 will support both.
>>>Hopefully MS has the ability to add HDMI & DVI it on later with an
>
> adapter.
>
>>>I just don't understand their logic for not having these options
>
> available
>
>>>day 1.
>>>It sure as hell isn't a deal breaker for me personally but if they don't
>>>offer it down the line they will sway the HT enthusiast crowd to lean
>>>towards a PS3.
>>>

>>yeah, that 1080p is looking nicer and nicer. I just emptied my piggy
>>bank so I can purchase a new new Sharp or Samsung come spring.
>

> AWESOME!
> I am looking into getting a DLP 1080p set for my 2nd gaming room.
> My wife has taken over the Theater/gaming room ever since I purchase a new
> screen :(

awwww...you poor, poor thing...wait....
2nd gaming room?! I don't wanna hear it anymore boody! You're not right!
June 24, 2005 8:49:32 PM

theOne wrote:
> Boody Bandit wrote:
>
>> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

>> adapter.

>> available

>>> yeah, that 1080p is looking nicer and nicer. I just emptied my piggy
>>> bank so I can purchase a new new Sharp or Samsung come spring.
>>

>> AWESOME!
>> I am looking into getting a DLP 1080p set for my 2nd gaming room.
>> My wife has taken over the Theater/gaming room ever since I purchase
>> a new
>> screen :(
>>

> awwww...you poor, poor thing...wait....
> 2nd gaming room?! I don't wanna hear it anymore boody! You're not right!

btw, can i come over?
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 8:49:33 PM

> theOne wrote:
> > Boody Bandit wrote:
> >
> >> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

> >> adapter.

> >> available

> >> AWESOME!
> >> I am looking into getting a DLP 1080p set for my 2nd gaming room.
> >> My wife has taken over the Theater/gaming room ever since I purchase
> >> a new
> >> screen :(
> >>

> > awwww...you poor, poor thing...wait....
> > 2nd gaming room?! I don't wanna hear it anymore boody! You're not right!
>

> btw, can i come over?

anyday anytime.
I keep the bar stocked and the fridge full.
You do your own cooking though and serving.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 9:57:54 PM

"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Well according to the latest interview with Todd Holmdahl, all hope for
> HDMI
>> support with the 360 is lost.
>>
>> I don't understand why Microsoft is making a Hi-Def system without HDMI
>> or
>> DVI
>
> **inputs** strike that.
>
> I meant to say "outputs".
>
> Hopefully MS will change their minds and include these output options for
> their new console.
> It will hurt them if they don't.

Since HDMI/DVI output is only *required* for HD content that is copy
protected via HDCP, and the Xbox 360 does not have an HD DVD drive, there is
no real need for the outputs. HDMI/DVI for gaming is better than component,
and I am guessing that MS wants to hold the cost down.

I agree, however, that DVI/HDMI are must-haves for any console in this era
of HDTV.

-Sammy
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 10:26:21 PM

"SpanishTeacher" <kyler.jackson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Except those won't be launch titles, will they? I agree that the stuff
> coming down the line will be ridiculous but I was just going off the
> launch list at EB

Yup, PGR3 and NFS:MW are launch titles.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 10:54:58 PM

Boody Bandit <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't understand why Microsoft is making a Hi-Def system without HDMI or
> DVI inputs.
> This is not going to go over well with tech geeks such as myself. That is
> one of the areas where MS got the most support in the first place.

Probably because they really don't want you hooking it up to a computer
monitor, and installing MacOSX on it ;)

That'd be the ultimate irony, wouldn't it? Apple out-iMac'd by Microsoft.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 10:54:59 PM

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> Boody Bandit <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't understand why Microsoft is making a Hi-Def system without HDMI
or
> > DVI inputs.
> > This is not going to go over well with tech geeks such as myself. That
is
> > one of the areas where MS got the most support in the first place.
>
> Probably because they really don't want you hooking it up to a computer
> monitor, and installing MacOSX on it ;)

VGA has been confirmed for the 360 though ;0(

> That'd be the ultimate irony, wouldn't it? Apple out-iMac'd by Microsoft.

LOL! definitely ultimate
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 10:59:55 PM

theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:

> awwww...you poor, poor thing...wait....
> 2nd gaming room?! I don't wanna hear it anymore boody! You're not right!

LOL.

Well, you have to admit, that's one way to solve the "too many devices,
not enough inputs" problem.

Hm. Let's see...knowing what makes a good home theater room, what would
make a good gaming room?

Seating up front for 4, wireless controllers, not sure if surround sound
would be that much of a requirement, but y a good set of stereo speakers
definitely would be.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 12:30:22 AM

Mattinglyfan <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote:

> From what I've read though, I may just hold off until spring of 2006 to buy
> a plasma and just stick with my Wega because what I've read indicates that
> 80% of the launch titles are not tremendously distinguishable from the top
> of the line Xbox titles. The exceptions being Gears of War, Morrowind and
> some other game that I can't remember because it doesn't interest me. I
> don't want to buy a 360 just to play Morrowind and Madden. I can't wait
> till they (the developers) get the development down so they can start
> cranking out the truly impressive goods. So far, those are the only 2
> titles that have blown me away. Full Auto does not look like something that
> can't be done on the Xbox so I don't understand why people are bragging
> about this game.

That's been my opinion about all the launch titles - same old stuff,
slightly better graphics. Nothing worth buying on release day, IMHO.

> > Hopefully MS will change their minds and include these output options for
> > their new console.
> > It will hurt them if they don't.

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 1:07:24 AM

"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well according to the latest interview with Todd Holmdahl, all hope for
> HDMI
> support with the 360 is lost.
>
> I don't understand why Microsoft is making a Hi-Def system without HDMI or
> DVI inputs.
> This is not going to go over well with tech geeks such as myself. That is
> one of the areas where MS got the most support in the first place.

I was just reading the article on teamxbox and they stated that they may add
HDMI output later on. I don't think it will hurt anything by it just having
component for now.

---
HDTV games lists and discussions
http://www.hdtvarcade.com
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 1:07:25 AM

"Ollie T" <hello@hello.com> wrote in message

> "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Well according to the latest interview with Todd Holmdahl, all hope for
> > HDMI
> > support with the 360 is lost.
> >
> > I don't understand why Microsoft is making a Hi-Def system without HDMI
or
> > DVI inputs.
> > This is not going to go over well with tech geeks such as myself. That
is
> > one of the areas where MS got the most support in the first place.
> >
> I was just reading the article on teamxbox and they stated that they may
add
> HDMI output later on. I don't think it will hurt anything by it just
having
> component for now.

HT guru's are already frowning over it.
Check the forums for yourself.
June 25, 2005 2:00:24 AM

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:
>

>>awwww...you poor, poor thing...wait....
>>2nd gaming room?! I don't wanna hear it anymore boody! You're not right!
>

> LOL.
>
> Well, you have to admit, that's one way to solve the "too many devices,
> not enough inputs" problem.
>
> Hm. Let's see...knowing what makes a good home theater room, what would
> make a good gaming room?
>
> Seating up front for 4, wireless controllers, not sure if surround sound
> would be that much of a requirement, but y a good set of stereo speakers
> definitely would be.

not today's generation of wireless, that's for sure!
June 25, 2005 2:02:37 AM

SpanishTeacher wrote:
> Except those won't be launch titles, will they? I agree that the stuff
> coming down the line will be ridiculous but I was just going off the
> launch list at EB

your real name is Kyler? :)
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 2:02:38 AM

> SpanishTeacher wrote:
>> Except those won't be launch titles, will they? I agree that the stuff
>> coming down the line will be ridiculous but I was just going off the
>> launch list at EB
>>

> your real name is Kyler? :)

Shhhhh. My oldest son's is. I had to use his account because I couldn't
remember my gmail info.
June 25, 2005 6:38:14 AM

Sammy "The Bull" Gravano wrote:
> "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Well according to the latest interview with Todd Holmdahl, all hope for
>>
>>HDMI
>>
>>>support with the 360 is lost.
>>>
>>>I don't understand why Microsoft is making a Hi-Def system without HDMI
>>>or
>>>DVI
>>
>>**inputs** strike that.
>>
>>I meant to say "outputs".
>>
>>Hopefully MS will change their minds and include these output options for
>>their new console.
>>It will hurt them if they don't.
>>

> Since HDMI/DVI output is only *required* for HD content that is copy
> protected via HDCP, and the Xbox 360 does not have an HD DVD drive, there is
> no real need for the outputs. HDMI/DVI for gaming is better than component,
> and I am guessing that MS wants to hold the cost down.
>
> I agree, however, that DVI/HDMI are must-haves for any console in this era
> of HDTV.
>
> -Sammy

you don't think a copy protection/DRM will be implemented that
would require DVI's encryption? with an xbox 360 no less that will
surely serve as a MCE extender?
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 11:12:39 AM

> Sammy "The Bull" Gravano wrote:
>> "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>HDMI

>>>**inputs** strike that.
>>>
>>>I meant to say "outputs".
>>>
>>>Hopefully MS will change their minds and include these output options for
>>>their new console.
>>>It will hurt them if they don't.
>>>

>> Since HDMI/DVI output is only *required* for HD content that is copy
>> protected via HDCP, and the Xbox 360 does not have an HD DVD drive, there
>> is no real need for the outputs. HDMI/DVI for gaming is better than
>> component, and I am guessing that MS wants to hold the cost down.
>>
>> I agree, however, that DVI/HDMI are must-haves for any console in this
>> era of HDTV.
>>
>> -Sammy
>>

> you don't think a copy protection/DRM will be implemented that
> would require DVI's encryption? with an xbox 360 no less that will surely
> serve as a MCE extender?

I think with the Xbox 360 acting as an extender, then all copy protection
services will be performed by the MCE computer on the network. The MCE
computer will *need* DVI/HDMI inputs to receive copy protected content from
satellite, cable, OTA, etc. After the MCE computer gets the content, it is
able to stream it to any extender on the network, in an un-copy protected
form.

-Sammy
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 2:33:00 AM

"Boody Bandit" < wrote in message
> Well according to the latest interview with Todd Holmdahl, all hope for
HDMI
> support with the 360 is lost.
>
> I don't understand why Microsoft is making a Hi-Def system without HDMI or
> DVI inputs.
> This is not going to go over well with tech geeks such as myself. That is
> one of the areas where MS got the most support in the first place.

Cost effectiveness. Adding HDMI/DVI out still puts quite a bit of
additional cost. Look at similiar DVD players where one has HDMI out and
the other doesn't.

I don't blame Microsoft. The XBox 360 will mainly be used on SDTV's. Even
with the HDTV's used for the XBox, most will probably be CRT anyway.

HDMI only makes total sense when the HDTV is truely digital all the way to
the drawing of pixels (i.e. LCD). A CRT HDTV (with HDMI in) is doing D/A
conversion to draw on the CRT. So, it basically just comes down to which
has the better D/A converter -- the HDTV or the component feeding it.

I have a (CRT) HDTV with HDMI in. My eyes can't distinguish any difference
between using component or HDMI from the cable box (HD cable). The D/A
conversion of the cable box and the HDTV are the same quality -- at least to
me eyeballs.

I'm using the HDMI out to the HDTV though -- basically just to keep all
three component inputs free for consoles and progressive DVD player. The
combined video and sound of HDMI from the cable box is of no convienence
since it is feeding both into the HDTV. (I still have to have a fiber optic
cable out of the cable box to a DD/DTS receiver.)

Besides, I'm sure within the next couple of years there will be
composite/HDMI/DVI converter boxes sold cheaply. They are expensive now.

BTW: Anyone looking for HDMI and/or DVI cables for HDTV, check out
http://www.monoprice.com

Not affilliated with 'em, but got an HDMI-DVI cable there for only $9 (nine
bucks). These cables are a major ripoff at retail stores.

Cheers!
-E
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 8:01:04 PM

"Eras" wrote in message

> Besides, I'm sure within the next couple of years there will be
> composite/HDMI/DVI converter boxes sold cheaply. They are expensive now.

Er, obviously I meant "COMPONENT/HDMI/DVI coverter boxes". :^)
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 4:07:26 AM

> "Eras" wrote in message
>
> > Besides, I'm sure within the next couple of years there will be
> > component/HDMI/DVI converter boxes sold cheaply. They are expensive
now.

Woah. For fun, googled for such an animal. Had read in the past that they
were "not cheap", but assumed by "not cheap" meaning hundreds of dollars.
More like there is no such (real-time) consumer converter -- there is only
studio equipment in the thousands of dollars.

Pretty much means that the only practical way XBox 360 will be seeing HDMI
is with hardware specifically manufactured to take the video signal inside
it (while still digital) and putting it out HDMI.

Still don't see what is so "wrong" with just using component though.

Cheers,
-E
June 28, 2005 4:40:43 AM

Eras wrote:
>>"Eras" wrote in message
>>

>>>Besides, I'm sure within the next couple of years there will be
>>>component/HDMI/DVI converter boxes sold cheaply. They are expensive
>
> now.
>
> Woah. For fun, googled for such an animal. Had read in the past that they
> were "not cheap", but assumed by "not cheap" meaning hundreds of dollars.
> More like there is no such (real-time) consumer converter -- there is only
> studio equipment in the thousands of dollars.
>
> Pretty much means that the only practical way XBox 360 will be seeing HDMI
> is with hardware specifically manufactured to take the video signal inside
> it (while still digital) and putting it out HDMI.
>
> Still don't see what is so "wrong" with just using component though.
>
> Cheers,
> -E

simplicity.....and truly digital connection (i.e. dvi wrapped in HDMI).
June 28, 2005 4:40:44 AM

"theOne" <abuse@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> Eras wrote:

>> now.
>>
>> Woah. For fun, googled for such an animal. Had read in the past that
>> they
>> were "not cheap", but assumed by "not cheap" meaning hundreds of dollars.
>> More like there is no such (real-time) consumer converter -- there is
>> only
>> studio equipment in the thousands of dollars.
>>
>> Pretty much means that the only practical way XBox 360 will be seeing
>> HDMI
>> is with hardware specifically manufactured to take the video signal
>> inside
>> it (while still digital) and putting it out HDMI.
>>
>> Still don't see what is so "wrong" with just using component though.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -E
>>

> simplicity.....and truly digital connection (i.e. dvi wrapped in HDMI).

Agreed. One thin cable compared to a three cable bundle saves a lot of space
when you already have miles of cable in the back of your TV. JLC
June 28, 2005 7:26:05 AM

JLC wrote:
> "theOne" <abuse@prodigy.net> wrote in message

>>>now.
>>>
>>>Woah. For fun, googled for such an animal. Had read in the past that
>>>they
>>>were "not cheap", but assumed by "not cheap" meaning hundreds of dollars.
>>>More like there is no such (real-time) consumer converter -- there is
>>>only
>>>studio equipment in the thousands of dollars.
>>>
>>>Pretty much means that the only practical way XBox 360 will be seeing
>>>HDMI
>>>is with hardware specifically manufactured to take the video signal
>>>inside
>>>it (while still digital) and putting it out HDMI.
>>>
>>>Still don't see what is so "wrong" with just using component though.
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>-E
>>>

>>simplicity.....and truly digital connection (i.e. dvi wrapped in HDMI).
>

> Agreed. One thin cable compared to a three cable bundle saves a lot of space
> when you already have miles of cable in the back of your TV. JLC

this and component video is analog. Even still, not necessarily a loss
of quality. Just the same, I'd if I had the inputs on a TV or reciever,
I'd definitely wanna use 'em.

Here's a good snip from
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.ht...

Isn't Digital Just Better?

It is often supposed by writers on this subject that "digital is
better." Digital signal transfer, it is assumed, is error-free, while
analog signals are always subject to some amount of degradation and
information loss. There is an element of truth to this argument, but it
tends to fly in the face of real-world considerations. First, there is
no reason why any perceptible degradation of an analog component video
signal should occur even over rather substantial distances; the maximum
runs in home theater installations do not present a challenge for analog
cabling built to professional standards. Second, it is a flawed
assumption to suppose that digital signal handling is always error-free.
DVI and HDMI signals aren't subject to error correction; once
information is lost, it's lost for good. That is not a consideration
with well-made cable over short distances, but can easily become a
factor at distance.

So What Does Determine Image Quality?

Video doesn't just translate directly from source material to displays,
for a variety of reasons. Very few displays operate at the native
resolutions of common source material, so when you're viewing material
in 480p, 720p, or 1080i, there is, of necessity, some scaling going on.
Meanwhile, the signals representing colors have to be accurately
rendered, which is dependent on black level and "delta," the
relationship between signal level and actual as-rendered color level.
Original signal formats don't correspond well to display hardware; for
example, DVD recordings have 480 lines, but non-square pixels. What all
of this means is that there is signal processing to go on along the
signal chain.

The argument often made for the DVI or HDMI signal formats is the "pure
digital" argument--that by taking a digital recording, such as a DVD or
a digital satellite signal, and rendering it straight into digital form
as a DVI or HDMI signal, and then delivering that digital signal
straight to the display, there is a sort of a perfect
no-loss-and-no-alteration-of-information signal chain. If the display
itself is a native digital display (e.g. an LCD or Plasma display), the
argument goes, the signal never has to undergo digital-to-analog
conversion and therefore is less altered along the way.

That might be true, were it not for the fact that digital signals are
encoded in different ways and have to be converted, and that these
signals have to be scaled and processed to be displayed. Consequently,
there are always conversions going on, and these conversions aren't
always easy going. "Digital to digital" conversion is no more a
guarantee of signal quality than "digital to analog," and in practice
may be substantially worse. Whether it's better or worse will depend
upon the circuitry involved--and that is something which isn't usually
practical to figure out. As a general rule, with consumer equipment, one
simply doesn't know how signals are processed, and one doesn't know how
that processing varies by input. Analog and digital inputs must either
be scaled through separate circuits, or one must be converted to the
other to use the same scaler. How is that done? In general, you won't
find an answer to that anywhere in your instruction manual, and even if
you did, it'd be hard to judge which is the better scaler without
viewing the actual video output. It's fair to say, in general, that even
in very high-end consumer gear, the quality of circuits for signal
processing and scaling is quite variable.

Additionally, it's not uncommon to find that the display characteristics
of different inputs have been set up differently. Black level, for
example, may vary considerably from the digital to the analog inputs,
and depending on how sophisticated your setup options on your display
are, that may not be an easy thing to recalibrate.
June 28, 2005 7:26:06 AM

Additionally, it's not uncommon to find that the display characteristics
> of different inputs have been set up differently. Black level, for
> example, may vary considerably from the digital to the analog inputs, and
> depending on how sophisticated your setup options on your display are,
> that may not be an easy thing to recalibrate.

I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable between my Comcast HD DVR cable box (DVI) to
my Sony Wega HD 4:3 32" CRT TV (HDMI) For me the signal is as clean as
anything I've ever seen. I was using component cables before and IMHO the
signal looks a lot better. As for adjusting the levels, a simple adjustment
to my brightness control fixes the black levels. HD is truly amazing on a
CRT TV. I was just watching a true 1080i program tonight and even after
having the TV for over two months now, I still can't believe my eyes. The
level of detail is something that has to be seen in person, because it's
imposable to fully describe.
I can't wait to see what the 360 games are going to look like in true HD!
JLC
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 12:36:25 PM

"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "theOne" <abuse@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>
> Additionally, it's not uncommon to find that the display characteristics
>> of different inputs have been set up differently. Black level, for
>> example, may vary considerably from the digital to the analog inputs, and
>> depending on how sophisticated your setup options on your display are,
>> that may not be an easy thing to recalibrate.
>
> I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable between my Comcast HD DVR cable box (DVI) to
> my Sony Wega HD 4:3 32" CRT TV (HDMI) For me the signal is as clean as
> anything I've ever seen. I was using component cables before and IMHO the
> signal looks a lot better. As for adjusting the levels, a simple
> adjustment to my brightness control fixes the black levels. HD is truly
> amazing on a CRT TV. I was just watching a true 1080i program tonight and
> even after having the TV for over two months now, I still can't believe my
> eyes. The level of detail is something that has to be seen in person,
> because it's imposable to fully describe.
> I can't wait to see what the 360 games are going to look like in true HD!
> JLC

Ok, I have almost the exact same television and I came across a problem last
night. I just bought a new DVD player that supports HDMI. The problem is,
I believe the cable is HDMI to HDMI and my television is has a DVI input (or
vice-versa, not sure). Do I have to buy another $70 cable or is there a way
to use the one that came with the DVD player?
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:15:39 PM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:36:25 -0600, "Ron Mexico"
<Estoscacahuates@comcast.net> Gave us:

>Ok, I have almost the exact same television and I came across a problem last
>night. I just bought a new DVD player that supports HDMI. The problem is,
>I believe the cable is HDMI to HDMI and my television is has a DVI input (or
>vice-versa, not sure). Do I have to buy another $70 cable or is there a way
>to use the one that came with the DVD player?

Now... read your post again... slowly, and tell us...

What do you think? ;-]
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:50:49 PM

"Ron Mexico" wrote in message

> Ok, I have almost the exact same television and I came across a problem
last
> night. I just bought a new DVD player that supports HDMI. The problem
is,
> I believe the cable is HDMI to HDMI and my television is has a DVI input
(or
> vice-versa, not sure). Do I have to buy another $70 cable or is there a
way
> to use the one that came with the DVD player?

$70 for a cable? Is this a Mobster Cable?

Get a HDMI-DVI cable for less than $10.

http://www.monoprice.com
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:50:50 PM

"Eras" <none@nospam.not> wrote in message
> "Ron Mexico" wrote in message
>>

>> Ok, I have almost the exact same television and I came across a problem
> last
>> night. I just bought a new DVD player that supports HDMI. The problem
> is,
>> I believe the cable is HDMI to HDMI and my television is has a DVI input
> (or
>> vice-versa, not sure). Do I have to buy another $70 cable or is there a
> way
>> to use the one that came with the DVD player?
>
> $70 for a cable? Is this a Mobster Cable?
>
> Get a HDMI-DVI cable for less than $10.
>
> http://www.monoprice.com

The monster cable I saw that was HDMI-DVI was $199 so I don't think I will
be going that route.
June 29, 2005 5:25:06 PM

TokaMundo wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:36:25 -0600, "Ron Mexico"
> <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net> Gave us:
>

>>Ok, I have almost the exact same television and I came across a problem last
>>night. I just bought a new DVD player that supports HDMI. The problem is,
>>I believe the cable is HDMI to HDMI and my television is has a DVI input (or
>>vice-versa, not sure). Do I have to buy another $70 cable or is there a way
>>to use the one that came with the DVD player?
>>

> Now... read your post again... slowly, and tell us...
>
> What do you think? ;-]

awww.....he even followed you after your name change Ron. You have a new
troll bitch!
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 5:38:30 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:25:06 GMT, theOne <abuse@prodigy.net> Gave us:

>TokaMundo wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:36:25 -0600, "Ron Mexico"
>> <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net> Gave us:
>>

>>>Ok, I have almost the exact same television and I came across a problem last
>>>night. I just bought a new DVD player that supports HDMI. The problem is,
>>>I believe the cable is HDMI to HDMI and my television is has a DVI input (or
>>>vice-versa, not sure). Do I have to buy another $70 cable or is there a way
>>>to use the one that came with the DVD player?
>>>

>> Now... read your post again... slowly, and tell us...
>>
>> What do you think? ;-]
>
>awww.....he even followed you after your name change Ron. You have a new
>troll bitch!

I didn't "follow" anyone. I merely answered the dude's question
with a "could you really have that poor of common sense" kind of
answer.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 5:38:31 PM

"TokaMundo" <TokaMundo@weedizgood.org> wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:25:06 GMT, theOne <abuse@prodigy.net> Gave us:
>
>>TokaMundo wrote:
>>> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:36:25 -0600, "Ron Mexico"
>>> <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net> Gave us:

>>> Now... read your post again... slowly, and tell us...
>>>
>>> What do you think? ;-]
>>
>>awww.....he even followed you after your name change Ron. You have a new
>>troll bitch!
>
> I didn't "follow" anyone. I merely answered the dude's question
> with a "could you really have that poor of common sense" kind of
> answer.

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy pole smoking schedule to respond
to my "could you really have that poor of common sense" question. If you
must know, I was trying to find out if there was an adapter that would
attach to the HDMI to make one end DVI or would I have to buy a completely
different cable. Your sarcasm is duly noted. Let's make a compromise. You
don't make smart ass comments to me when I ask a tech question and I won't
make smart ass comments to you when you are asking questions about which
condoms don't leave a "mediciney after taste". Deal? ;)
June 29, 2005 6:58:23 PM

Ron Mexico wrote:
> "TokaMundo" <TokaMundo@weedizgood.org> wrote in message

>>>awww.....he even followed you after your name change Ron. You have a new
>>>troll bitch!
>>
>> I didn't "follow" anyone. I merely answered the dude's question
>>with a "could you really have that poor of common sense" kind of
>>answer.
>

> Thanks for taking the time out of your busy pole smoking schedule to respond
> to my "could you really have that poor of common sense" question. If you
> must know, I was trying to find out if there was an adapter that would
> attach to the HDMI to make one end DVI or would I have to buy a completely
> different cable. Your sarcasm is duly noted. Let's make a compromise. You
> don't make smart ass comments to me when I ask a tech question and I won't
> make smart ass comments to you when you are asking questions about which
> condoms don't leave a "mediciney after taste". Deal? ;)

pole smoker indeed :)
June 29, 2005 7:03:01 PM

Ron Mexico wrote:
> "Eras" <none@nospam.not> wrote in message
>
>>"Ron Mexico" wrote in message
>>

>>>Ok, I have almost the exact same television and I came across a problem
>>
>>last
>>
>>>night. I just bought a new DVD player that supports HDMI. The problem
>>
>>is,
>>
>>>I believe the cable is HDMI to HDMI and my television is has a DVI input
>>
>>(or
>>
>>>vice-versa, not sure). Do I have to buy another $70 cable or is there a
>>
>>way
>>
>>>to use the one that came with the DVD player?
>>
>>$70 for a cable? Is this a Mobster Cable?
>>
>>Get a HDMI-DVI cable for less than $10.
>>
>>http://www.monoprice.com
>>

> The monster cable I saw that was HDMI-DVI was $199 so I don't think I will
> be going that route.

Pretty pathetic considering digital is digital and DVI is wrapped up in
that HDMI. Although, how would you get the audio portion on the DVI end?
Anyway, HDMI DVD player sounds neat. Does it upscale DVDs to 720p/1080i
or is it purely aesthetics?
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 7:03:02 PM

> Ron Mexico wrote:
>> "Eras" <none@nospam.not> wrote in message

>>>last

>>>is,

>>>(or

>>>way

>>>$70 for a cable? Is this a Mobster Cable?
>>>
>>>Get a HDMI-DVI cable for less than $10.
>>>
>>>http://www.monoprice.com
>>>

>> The monster cable I saw that was HDMI-DVI was $199 so I don't think I
>> will be going that route.
> Pretty pathetic considering digital is digital and DVI is wrapped up in
> that HDMI. Although, how would you get the audio portion on the DVI end?
> Anyway, HDMI DVD player sounds neat. Does it upscale DVDs to 720p/1080i or
> is it purely aesthetics?

I went and bought an adapter for $30 (The Monster adapter was $55). The DVD
player comes with a optical connection so I just used that to go with the
DVI video. The DVD player is a pretty sweet deal for $150. It upscales to
720/1080 and the results were fairly mind-blowing for me. I have had my
HDTV since last March and I have never connected component video or anything
to it since I have owned it. I always thought that HDTV was fairly
overrated for anything other than video games because I hadn't really seen
an awesome picture. When I watched Family Guy in 1080i and then quickly
switched out the composite cables to see the difference, my mouth hit the
floor. My wife couldn't tell the difference but to me that is just proof
that 1) Women don't get it and 2) Lasik surgery is overrated.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 10:36:52 PM

"theOne" wrote in message

> that HDMI. Although, how would you get the audio portion on the DVI end?

I'm pulling the video from my cable (HD) STB to my HDTV through DVI-HDMI.
Sound is coming (fiber) from the STB to a DD/DTS receiver. As this is how
most people are set up, I don't see the "benefit" of a combined video/audio
feed. Even if the cable STB had HDMI out instead of DVI, I'd still be using
fiber to get the audio to the DD/DTS receiver..

Cheers,
-E
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 10:41:21 PM

"Ron Mexico" wrote in message

> > $70 for a cable? Is this a Mobster Cable?
> >
> > Get a HDMI-DVI cable for less than $10.
> >
> > http://www.monoprice.com
>
> The monster cable I saw that was HDMI-DVI was $199 so I don't think I will
> be going that route.

That is just rediculous. Pure scam. I guess that $200 cable passes
"better" ones and zeros than my $8.50 HDMI-DVI...

Cheers,
-E
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 10:41:22 PM

> "Ron Mexico" wrote in message
>
>> > $70 for a cable? Is this a Mobster Cable?
>> >
>> > Get a HDMI-DVI cable for less than $10.
>> >
>> > http://www.monoprice.com
>>
>> The monster cable I saw that was HDMI-DVI was $199 so I don't think I
>> will
>> be going that route.
>
> That is just rediculous. Pure scam. I guess that $200 cable passes
> "better" ones and zeros than my $8.50 HDMI-DVI...
>
> Cheers,
> -E

I have a rinky dink 750 watt Sony surround sound system where I put the DVD
player anyway. Even if there was a difference between the two, I doubt
anything other than top pf the line systems would allow you the ability to
discern more than a slight difference anyway. Maybe when I start shelling
out the big bucks and get an area big enough to put all of my audio and
video gadgets, I will think differently. But for now, the $15 optical cable
and $30 adapter suit me just fine.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 10:53:49 PM

"Ron Mexico" wrote in message cable or is there a

> must know, I was trying to find out if there was an adapter that would
> attach to the HDMI to make one end DVI or would I have to buy a completely
> different cable.

Yep, you can just get a HDMI-DVI adapter.

http://www.monoprice.com/

Adapters > DVI

Make sure you get the right DVI. Google for the difference (and photos) of
DVI-D vs DVI-I and see which one you need.

Yeah, I know that I plug Monoprice a lot but they are superb. Cheap prices
(including shipping), product goes out very quickly, excellent order
tracking, ect. If you look them up on "Reseller Ratings" you'll find that
they ship a high volume of product yet still rate extremely well.

Cheers,
-E
June 29, 2005 10:54:06 PM

Eras wrote:
> "theOne" wrote in message
>

>>that HDMI. Although, how would you get the audio portion on the DVI end?
>

> I'm pulling the video from my cable (HD) STB to my HDTV through DVI-HDMI.
> Sound is coming (fiber) from the STB to a DD/DTS receiver. As this is how
> most people are set up, I don't see the "benefit" of a combined video/audio
> feed. Even if the cable STB had HDMI out instead of DVI, I'd still be using
> fiber to get the audio to the DD/DTS receiver..
>
> Cheers,
> -E

i feel ya, but to me, that defeats the purpose of HDMI.
June 30, 2005 12:26:09 AM

Ron Mexico wrote:
> "Eras" <none@nospam.not> wrote in message

>>>The monster cable I saw that was HDMI-DVI was $199 so I don't think I
>>>will
>>>be going that route.
>>
>>That is just rediculous. Pure scam. I guess that $200 cable passes
>>"better" ones and zeros than my $8.50 HDMI-DVI...
>>
>>Cheers,
>>-E
>>

> I have a rinky dink 750 watt Sony surround sound system where I put the DVD
> player anyway. Even if there was a difference between the two, I doubt
> anything other than top pf the line systems would allow you the ability to
> discern more than a slight difference anyway. Maybe when I start shelling
> out the big bucks and get an area big enough to put all of my audio and
> video gadgets, I will think differently. But for now, the $15 optical cable
> and $30 adapter suit me just fine.

hey, I have a 500watt system but it kicks serious ass [to me]. Nice
heavy sub in hardwood case......reciever has 4 digital audio
inputs...lots of dsps, DTS, SRS circle surround, dolby pro logic II,
etc.. Had it for a few years and works great for me. Unless you're Boody
700watt is plenty. Except I've seen some sony setups with some pretty
pathetic subwoofers. My friend has one. cheap plastic speaker boxes,
vibrate and make funky noises... haven't even felt a need to upgrade as
of yet. IMHO, 6 and 7.1 is still a joke/waste of money/ahead of its
time. Bravo Zulu on your Sony rig homey; don't believe the hype. :)
June 30, 2005 12:33:29 AM

"Eras" <none@nospam.not> wrote in message
> "Ron Mexico" wrote in message
>
>> > $70 for a cable? Is this a Mobster Cable?
>> >
>> > Get a HDMI-DVI cable for less than $10.
>> >
>> > http://www.monoprice.com
>>
>> The monster cable I saw that was HDMI-DVI was $199 so I don't think I
>> will
>> be going that route.
>
> That is just rediculous. Pure scam. I guess that $200 cable passes
> "better" ones and zeros than my $8.50 HDMI-DVI...
>
> Cheers,
> -E

Another great place to get cheap cables,adapters and other cool stuff is
Buyextras.com. I bought my DVI to HDMI cable there for $14. Nice quality and
works great. I was looking at Radio Shack the other day for two things, a 12
foot 1/8" plug audio extension cable ($8 at RS) and a USB extension cable
($25! at RS) I went online to Buyextra found the 1/8" plug cable for 1.95!
and a 6' USB extension cable for $1.50! Just shows how much mark up is on
this type of product. And Buyextras doesn't rape you on the shipping either.
Great place to get the deals. JLC
June 30, 2005 12:53:05 AM

> "Ron Mexico" wrote in message cable or is there a
>
>> must know, I was trying to find out if there was an adapter that would
>> attach to the HDMI to make one end DVI or would I have to buy a
>> completely
>> different cable.
>
> Yep, you can just get a HDMI-DVI adapter.
>
> http://www.monoprice.com/
>
> Adapters > DVI
>
> Make sure you get the right DVI. Google for the difference (and photos)
> of
> DVI-D vs DVI-I and see which one you need.
>
> Yeah, I know that I plug Monoprice a lot but they are superb. Cheap
> prices
> (including shipping), product goes out very quickly, excellent order
> tracking, ect. If you look them up on "Reseller Ratings" you'll find
> that
> they ship a high volume of product yet still rate extremely well.
>
> Cheers,
> -E

Yes but why not just buy a new 6' DVI to HDMI cable for $14 at
BuyExtras.com? Not sure what Monoprice sells them for. I'd rather not mess
with adapters if I don't need to. Funny story about this whole HDMI DVI
cable thread. When I first got my HD TV a couple of months ago I didn't know
anything about all these new cables. So I went into one of our nicer home
electronics stores here in Seattle (Magnolia Hi-Fi for locals) This is a big
step up from places like Circuit City and BestBuy. So I ask the sales guy
about getting a HDMI to DVI cable. He told me there was no such thing on the
market! Now I knew enough to know that was bull. But what he told me was
that I needed to buy was a DVI cable for $90 and then he showed me a HDMI
adapter for $25!! At this point I couldn't hold back my laughter any longer
and just cracked up right in his stuffy dumb ass face. I walk out still
laughing my head off. Thank goodness for this group, because it was here
that I heard about Buyextras. I couldn't believe that I could get a HDMI to
DVI cable so cheap! Circuit City wanted $120 for one!
Sure pay's to shop around and do a little research before buying anything
these days! JLC
      • 1 / 3
      • 2
      • 3