Solved

Monitor won't turn on using 8800 GT

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 28, 2012 10:32:32 PM

Hey guys I'm switching out my 8600gt for an 8800gt since my friend doesn't use it anymore, however the computer won't turn on fully when i press the power button.
I also removed all the previous nvidia drivers. when i switch back to the 8600GT, the video card works.
The computer turns on but the monitor won't display anything

I'm wondering if it's my old power supply since the 8800gt needs 400W and a 12V@26A. Im using a 2xLP4 PCI-E 6pin converter with this power supply
http://www.avadirect.com/product_details_parts.asp?PRID...

here's my motherboard
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_...
4 gigs ram

More about : monitor turn 8800

a c 120 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 28, 2012 10:45:50 PM

are you sure the 8800 works ? PS seems fine to me. Maybe try swapping the power around........ different molex connectors into 6 pin adapter.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2012 10:47:50 PM

rdb853 said:
Hey guys I'm switching out my 8600gt for an 8800gt since my friend doesn't use it anymore, however the computer won't turn on fully when i press the power button.
I also removed all the previous nvidia drivers. when i switch back to the 8600GT, the video card works.
The computer turns on but the monitor won't display anything

I'm wondering if it's my old power supply since the 8800gt needs 400W and a 12V@26A. Im using a 2xLP4 PCI-E 6pin converter with this power supply
http://www.avadirect.com/product_details_parts.asp?PRID...

here's my motherboard
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_...
4 gigs ram

I'm betting the problem is with your GPU. When you're not getting output/input, always see if everything is plugged in correctly. Or, that port on the 8800 might be dead, try another port (I'm betting there's a VGA and a DVI on the card.) Are you're using the same adapter and cables with the 8800 as the ones you've been using on the 8600? It could be broken pins or kinked wires. I'm assuming you're also using the same input on your monitor for both cards.

Basically what I'm saying is, try and replicate the exact same conditions the 8600 runs at except with the 8800. Don't change anything between setups, then go from there diagnosing any of the possible problems I mentioned above. I may be missing some things, I hope another user comes to help us out on this. If you have any questions, I'll happily answer them to the best of my ability!
m
l
Related resources
February 28, 2012 10:54:31 PM

Since that power supply uses a dual 12v rail, you must have 1 molex from each side, 12v1, and 12v2. And with that old of a board, check the caps and make sure none are leaking or bulging.
m
l
February 28, 2012 11:03:35 PM

yes everything i do is the same, i switched back and forth with the 2 video cards. also my friend just took it out of his desktop today and he used it about 2 months ago.

when i use the PCI-E 2xlg4 adaptor for the 8800GT the fan works and everything, even with switching the molex around.

windows just doesn't start, I dont hear the usual beeps when the 8600 is on. could it be a bios problem?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 29, 2012 12:05:22 AM

rdb853 said:
yes everything i do is the same, i switched back and forth with the 2 video cards. also my friend just took it out of his desktop today and he used it about 2 months ago.

when i use the PCI-E 2xlg4 adaptor for the 8800GT the fan works and everything, even with switching the molex around.

windows just doesn't start, I dont hear the usual beeps when the 8600 is on. could it be a bios problem?

Possibly, I see you have a VGA port on your motherboard. Try installing the card, but plug your monitor into the MOBO. If you can boot to BIOS, you can see if the card is recognized. If it's not you could try updating your BIOS. There's always the possibility that your friend dumped a dead card on you, in which case there would be much heartbreak. Don't update the BIOS, there's only one file on the site so my guess is you have the newest version already.
m
l
February 29, 2012 12:41:20 AM

just tried updating bios, no luck. also my mobo doesn't have the proper socket for my monitor... pretty old mobo.
if all else fails i'll just give it back to him to see if it works on his mobo still
m
l
February 29, 2012 9:35:52 PM

Update: I just got in the mail my 560 Ti and it's running phenomenally. Why the 8800 GT didn't work, I have no idea (i was hoping to do SLI with the 8800 with another motherboard eventually). I did however get this message from my motherboard manufacturer today
"P4M890-M7 TE is not compatible with PCI-express 2.0 videocards. Please install first generation PCI-e video card."

However 560 Ti is a PCIE 2.0 video card...
Conclusion: 8800 GT just doesn't work on all motherboards.

Thank you everyone for your responses however
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 29, 2012 10:10:46 PM

rdb853 said:
Update: I just got in the mail my 560 Ti and it's running phenomenally. Why the 8800 GT didn't work, I have no idea (i was hoping to do SLI with the 8800 with another motherboard eventually). I did however get this message from my motherboard manufacturer today
"P4M890-M7 TE is not compatible with PCI-express 2.0 videocards. Please install first generation PCI-e video card."

However 560 Ti is a PCIE 2.0 video card...
Conclusion: 8800 GT just doesn't work on all motherboards.

Thank you everyone for your responses however

Glad I could sort of help... I never heard of that kind of situation, you should try the 8800 on another board just to see if it works. Probability is, it's just a dead card. PCI-e 1.0 is just half the bandwidth of PCI-e 2.0, the actual slot is exactly the same, the controller is different, lanes are different. So there's no sense in saying one generation won't be compatible with the previous, it might just run slower.
March 8, 2012 12:23:45 AM

Yes the 8800 works on my friends board again. reason why not mine and the 560 ti works on mine we'll never know
m
l
March 8, 2012 12:23:53 AM

Best answer selected by rdb853.
m
l
!