Wallpaper: using My Pictures - how do I stop this?

Starfish

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2004

When I go into Display Properties/Wallpaper I see it is showing images from
My Pictures. How can I get it to only draw from the WINNT/Web/Wallpaper
folder?

kelly

In addition:

The pictures that show up under display properties, desktop are located in
these folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\My Documents\My Pictures
C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper
C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

Another checkpoint:

Type in Start Run
"%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer"

To hide and/or remove/relocate:

Under My Computer scroll down to Shared Documents/Shared Pictures. If
Shared Pictures is listed, remove it.

TweakUI for XP: Unchecking "Lock Web Content" under Explorer to be added
to desktop disables the pictures from being listed.

Workarounds:

Create another folder (under your user profile), remove the pictures from My
Pictures that you don't want listed under Backgrounds and in the My Pictures
folder, create a shortcut to the new folder. Or create subfolders within My
Pictures.

Add Folders to the "Save As" Dialog (Places Bar) Line 117

Disable Default Save As to My Pictures (Line 263)

Add Folder to Start Menu to replace/re-route My Pictures (Line 2)

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"starfish" <moonheart38@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When I go into Display Properties/Wallpaper I see it is showing images
> from
> My Pictures. How can I get it to only draw from the WINNT/Web/Wallpaper
> folder?

Put none or over 100 pictures in My Pics.

http://www.uscricket.com
"starfish" <moonheart38@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e3xV5BN3EHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> When I go into Display Properties/Wallpaper I see it is showing images from
> My Pictures. How can I get it to only draw from the WINNT/Web/Wallpaper
> folder?

TweakUI for XP: Unchecking "Lock Web Content" under Explorer to be added
to desktop disables the pictures from being listed.
didn't work for me.

Starfish

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2004

"Black Baptist" <pray@the.church.com> wrote in message

> TweakUI for XP: Unchecking "Lock Web Content" under Explorer to be added
> to desktop disables the pictures from being listed.
> didn't work for me.

Didn't work for me, either. It was already unchecked.

I think David is right about the number of pictures in My Pictures. That
would explain why sometimes these pictures appeared and other times they
didn't. I guess I just have to collect more pictures!

FTGRC

Here is a simple fix;

1. browse to C:\WINDOWS\Web
2. Once there create a new folder and rename it wallpaper1
3. Click start then run and type regedit (warnig I take no liability for any registery changes you make).
4. Expand to; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
5. You will see an entry called "WallPaperDir"
6. Right click on the entry and select modify.
7. Change the entry to "%SystemRoot%\Web\Wallpaper1" DO NOT INCLUDE THE QUOTATIONS MARKS, then select ok.
8. If you wish you can then modify it once more back to; %SystemRoot%\Web\Wallpaper
9. That's it, your done close, the registry editor and you should no longer have any pictures from your "My Picture" folder and subfolders showing as desktop backgrounds in the list.

TRENDING THREADS