Status
Not open for further replies.
An i3 will not destroy a 4170... The 4170 will beat the i3s in any game that can effectively use three or four threads which is quite common. The FX will be very close when it looses. Either option is good, but the FX-4100 is the exact same chip and binning, so it is better to buy it and overclock it.

The 4170 would use a lot of power and generate a lot of heat, but it would not lose in performance in most games by very much, if at all. Give it another 300MHz and it can meet or beat the i3s in pretty much every game or be right behind them in the older games that would work on it so fast that it doesn't matter if it loses anyway.

As of right now, BF3 MP, Star Craft 2, WoW, and many others. Look at recent benchmarks that show the updates to games to make them more well-threaded. The i3 only has a somewhat advantage in per-core CPU performance and Hyper-Threading can't make up for having half the cores.

If they're old, then they don't have all up to date tests and are completely irrelevant. Also, in those outdated tests, the 4100 at 4.5GHz is clearly indistinguishably close to the i3-2100. I can't tell a fraction of an FPS difference. Can you? I can, however, often tell a several FPS difference such as when the newer patches are used and the FX beats the i3s.

That doesn't matter. There are patches very often for WoW and some of them can have some major changes, especially in the client and performance characteristics of it when Blizz decides to improve it. Back in January, WoW wasn't as well-threaded as it is today. Having the Cataclysm expansion pack doesn't mean that there are no major changes until the next expansion pack. My point is that those benchmarks are outdated and to accept them as still relevant for showing how processors perform in the most up to date versions of the otherwise same game by them is foolish, at best.

The DX11 patch for WoW made it more well-threaded. I've had enough of people who don't know the game telling me what Blizz did and didn't do, so here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-directx-11-performance,2793-7.html

Clearly shows a large increase in CPU efficiency and Tom's acknowledged this. This test is old too, but the DX11 patch wasn't enabled by default at this time and was not in use during the FX benchmarks anyway. It might not show how much of an improvement is made in the current version of WoW, but it proves that there was improvement. I'm not making up some theory, it is confirmed by Blizzard who has outright said that they've improved WoW and other games over time and by Tom's own tests here. The i3 doesn't have nearly as much room for improvement as the FX, so it simply doesn't improve as much as the FX would. When WoW first came out, it uses one, just one, core efficiently. It was later updated to use two cores more efficiently and then three and four. The updates kept coming. Are you jsut going to ignore this? That's your choice.

Skyrim, as we should all know, also had CPU patching to use more up to date instructions. It became much less CPU-bottle-necked after this. I could find Tom's benchmarks of this too.

Even SC2 has improved, albeit not as sharply. I don't recall benchmarks of this right now, but Blizzard outright stated that it could use many cores (only a few efficiently, but more than two efficiently and several more much less efficiently).

I didn't lie to save face. This is all proven fact that you simply refuse to acknowledge and would rather insult me than accept it.

I haven't been trying to sway OP'd decision since OP made it. OP made a choice as is OP's right. However, I will not just stand idly by while you people make incorrect statements about something be it after a decision has been made on it or not.

Also, these are only the beginning. Other games have been improving in how well-threaded they are and still are. In addition to that, many newer games that come out are more well-threaded than previpous games simply by default.

You can't say how something performs based on outdated benchmarks because they are no longer accurate. This should be common sense, but whatever. I can't say by how much more well-threaded the current version of WoW is compared to the older versions when running DX11, but I can say with certainty that there has been improvement and this is something that an old benchmark can be relevant for showing so long as there hasn't been any backtracking (which there hasn't) since that benchmark was out.

Status
Not open for further replies.