Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2X AMD 6870, i5 750, Do I need to upgrade?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • AMD
  • Intel i5
  • CPUs
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 5, 2012 2:35:09 AM

So, I've been thinking of doing a upgrade to my PC. I bought 2 AMD 6870's last christmas, and I was wondering if I should upgrade my CPU. Also If I upgrade my CPU, I will most likely have to upgrade my MB, and memory.

I am a hardcore gamer, and I like to play the latest stuff.

So, what do you think? :D 

PC Specs:
2X Asus 6870 Crossfired
Intel i5 750
Asus P7P55D
6 Gigs of DDR3

More about : amd 6870 750 upgrade

Best solution

a c 118 B Homebuilt system
a c 79 à CPUs
May 5, 2012 8:15:03 AM

I don't think that you would see much of an advantage with a CPU upgrade personally.

But you are correct, upgrading the CPU would require a motherboard upgrade as the i5 750 is on the LGA 1156 socket and Sandy and Ivy Bridge are on 1155.

The reason I wouldn't upgrade not only because I don't think you'll see much of a performance gain, but also due to the fact that LGA1155 will be replaced next year, Ivy Bridge is the final generation that the socket will support. In 2013 the new socket will be LGA 1150, so you'd need yet another motherboard if you wanted to upgrade then.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b À AMD
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 8:36:24 AM

no, that kind of build is still viable this day and age. if you ever wanted to upgrade mobo/cpu, your better off waiting for haswell/broadwell, or if you feel like your build is still enough, skylake
m
l
Related resources
May 5, 2012 8:45:47 AM

gamingboy said:
So, I've been thinking of doing a upgrade to my PC. I bought 2 AMD 6870's last christmas, and I was wondering if I should upgrade my CPU. Also If I upgrade my CPU, I will most likely have to upgrade my MB, and memory.

PC Specs:
2X Asus 6870 Crossfired
Intel i5 750
Asus P7P55D
6 Gigs of DDR3

honestly you will see a slight difference switching to sandy or ivy bridge but most will say it isn't cost effective. instead hold onto the 750 and overclock it a bit. with a higher clock you should be able to hold out on upgrading till haswell and beyond.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 8:47:09 AM

gamingboy said:

PC Specs:
2X Asus 6870 Crossfired
Intel i5 750
Asus P7P55D
6 Gigs of DDR3

i dont think that your cpu will be a bottleneck in games if its clocked up, save up for when u do notice a big jump is needed and generally i see a bigger bump from gfx cards, and i dont think much will slow your cf setup unless its not optimised or over 1080p with a 30 inch monitor. i have just been running my 2500k at stock lately i dont need the extra power, its nice to know i have an extra 1.5ghz sitting there waiting to go, i dont think there will be a frostbite 3 engine anytime soon and i dont think any more power will be needed till we see next gen consoles maturing in a couple of years passing on more unoptimised ports our way to be completely honest
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 8:59:11 AM

750 is a pretty powerful cpu for gaming.i won't suggest any upgrade.hd 6870 CF provides top class performance and smooth gameplay.overall your build looks great.no need to change.just a suggestion-
overclock your cpu to 4ghz~
m
l
May 5, 2012 9:14:09 AM

Overclocking is your best option if you haven't already from a value prospective. The hyper 212 is the best value heat sink in to market at only about $25, so I'd suggest that for overclocking. Still you don't need to do this immediately since the i5 750 is in pretty balanced with your crossfire setup. If say you crossfire 2 7970's then you'd definitely want to overclock your cpu to its bleeding edge.
m
l
May 5, 2012 9:22:49 AM

that latest stuff is still metro 2033, and i dont see any latest to contest that for about 2 more years... so, enjoy your stuff today and be happy.
m
l
May 5, 2012 2:59:16 PM

Best answer selected by gamingboy.
m
l
!