Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New PSU problem

Last response: in Components
August 19, 2012 3:28:04 PM

My old PSU wasn't enough, so I got a new one. This one, though, has a different spot for its cable to plug into that goes into the wall. Here's a picture showing the old PSU still in and the old one is not. The metal case on the back is covering up the cable plug when the new is in:

I would appriciate if someone could explain why this is and a safe tool I can use to cut through. Also, all the plugs are right. There is enough plugs to connect all of my internal devices. Please help!

More about : psu problem

Best solution

a c 243 ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 3:40:15 PM

You had a need for a Dell compatible psu, aka switchless
Get a set of tin snips and cut the case back to make room for the switch
a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 3:47:59 PM

And so you know - nobody on this forum will recommend DiabloTek - plain and simple - not a quality psu. Anything that has a voltage selector switch is a very old design.
-Bruce
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 4:26:09 PM

Hi :) 

We usually use a half round file to make Psu`s like that fit...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
August 19, 2012 5:10:26 PM

delluser1 said:
You had a need for a Dell compatible psu, aka switchless
Get a set of tin snips and cut the case back to make room for the switch

The thing is, I have room for the switch (the place where the OLD plug goes into), what I need is room for is the NEW plug location.
So, tin snips, should I just cut across to where I want and then curve back?
Example of what I would do:

BTW, all the plugs are available to me, so the PSU IS compatible, just newer.

Also, I'm adding a new graphics card after this is in. If this PSU fails, I can't connect the new graphics card because downgrading back the old stable PSU doesn't have an SATA connector which it connects to. What do I do if it fails and I need to switch back to the older PSU?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 5:43:16 PM

Hi :) 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You do NOT CUT THE psu !!!!!!!!!!!!!

You cut or file the CASE so it fits....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 5:47:25 PM

Edonnel said:
The thing is, I have room for the switch (the place where the OLD plug goes into), what I need is room for is the NEW plug location.
So, tin snips, should I just cut across to where I want and then curve back?
Example of what I would do:
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g474/Nothinginyourpockets/Problems/untitled.jpg
BTW, all the plugs are available to me, so the PSU IS compatible, just newer.

Also, I'm adding a new graphics card after this is in. If this PSU fails, I can't connect the new graphics card because downgrading back the old stable PSU doesn't have an SATA connector which it connects to. What do I do if it fails and I need to switch back to the older PSU?

I'd cut it so that the mounting hole remains
You would need to get another psu that has the connectors that you require
m
l
August 19, 2012 6:19:48 PM

delluser1 said:
I'd cut it so that the mounting hole remains
You would need to get another psu that has the connectors that you require

I'm sorry, I'm slowly learning the parts of a PC, but I assume the mounting hole is that hole that is just an indentation into the back of the computer?

And NO, I don't mean cut into the PSU, I mean the back of the computer.
m
l
August 20, 2012 5:50:38 PM

Quick bump

Maybe I wasn't clear in my previous message. What exactly is the mounting hole? And why should I avoid cutting it out?

Also, I read your answer to my off-topic question, delluser1, yeah that would suck having to buy another PSU, but my current one has lasted for ten years and is still running, so I make sure to take care of things. :) 
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 7:32:01 PM

Edonnel said:

What exactly is the mounting hole?

Edonnel said:
And why should I avoid cutting it out?
I'd use it
m
l
August 20, 2012 7:49:00 PM

Thanks! I assumed that was it, but wasn't sure. I'll start my cutting in a few days when my graphics card cord comes in!
m
l
August 21, 2012 5:56:39 PM

Best answer selected by Edonnel.
m
l
August 27, 2012 11:37:22 AM

Okay, I got everything figured out. The back of the casing was a bit thicker than I thought, so a dremel was used to cut it. The tin snips just bent the metal, so I stopped immediately and fixed that bending. It was a pain, but it gone done with little mess.

Just a quick question though, when I boot up, the screen says "Diskette drive 0 seek failure", but disappears quickly. I've tested both CD drives and they both work, so I guess it's the floppy. I don't really use it, but I would like to know why it's happening. I'm thinking I didn't put the power cord in the whole way.

Thanks guys!
m
l
!