Sign in with
Your question

Dying Video Card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 29, 2012 12:22:14 AM

Hello! Lately my computer of several years has been having trouble running games.

Until about a month ago, my computer had no problem running games like Skyrim, BF2BC2, The Witcher 2, etc. Lately, however, when I try to run a game, the sound stutters and I get low fps.

I am not sure if my computer is experiencing a RAM problem or Video Card problem.

I am not receiving any video artifacts.

Skyrim, until recently, detected my computer to use "high" settings, and now detects on "medium" settings. I have not added any new hardware to my computer.

I have uninstalled, rolled back, and re-downloaded my graphics drivers, and still experience the same problems. My nvidia control panel settings are set to "let 3d application decide", and I have played around in these settings to see if I could fix the problem.

I've run virus scans.

It isn't just Skyrim acting oddly. All my games are slow lately. If my video card has started to die, I can accept it and buy a new one, but I want to make sure I don't plunk down a lot of money for nothing.

Specs:

(deleted)

More about : dying video card

a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
February 29, 2012 1:03:44 AM

Yea um way too much system info, i know its a easy thing to use for people who know nothing about their computer, but that tool basically says "Hackers, come check this guys computer out" but your 8600GTS is long over due a upgrade, in fact, your entire system could use a retire and full upgrade. only 2GB of ram? wow.

But my suggestion that wouldn't "Bottleneck" your computer without upgrading the entire system. would be 2 more gigs of ram to your system, and a GTS 450 or one of the DX 10 low-medium end models
February 29, 2012 1:21:29 AM

Granted, my system is rather old. However, it played all of my games just fine until just recently, and I would like to know if the symptoms presented are a signs of a dying vid card, or something else.

I do need a RAM upgrade, whatever happens, but I don't want to waste money on a new card that was working just fine, if the problem lies somewhere else.

What I'm concerned about is that until very recently, my computer was fine, and now isn't. If it's a problem that has other viable solutions other than spending money, I would like to hear them.

It sounds to me like a software problem (faulty driver,etc.), or the signs of a dying computer. If it's dying, I'll move on. If something else seems wrong, I'd like a suggestion.
!