Your question

Upgrading system for D3

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 5, 2012 4:39:37 AM

I have been waiting for Diablo 3 quite some years now and I have the feeling that it might be the last game I'll play extensively. So I want it to run perfectly and as the other stuff I do with my PC is not very ressource consuming (Office applications, watching videos, downloading, ...), the whole rig can be built around video game performance. I just started using two monitors simultaneously, if that makes any difference.

My current setup looks like this:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
ASUSTeK P5Q-PRO
2x 2048 RAM
BenQ XL2410T (1920x1080) & VP191s (1280x1024)
Several harddrives, but I don't think any is built for gaming specifically

I would like to reuse as much of it as possible (it's not that old), could you tell me which parts I have to upgrade to rejuvenate my system?

Thank you in advance, let's see how this turns out!

More about : upgrading system

May 5, 2012 7:14:24 AM

I'd say I have a total budget of about, idk, €750 or so. Having to spend less would be welcome, and the more parts I can keep, the more I have to spend on the others.
Related resources
May 5, 2012 7:22:01 AM

Chainzsaw said:
Hello,

You still have a fairly decent system. If anything, upgrade your GPU first and get something like a a Radeon 7870.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...

What is your budget for graphics cards?

On that motherboard getting a 7870 is going to bottleneck him but it won't be dramatically bad; im guessing about max of 20%. I would suggest keeping the CPU But getting a new Motherboard & ram.

MSI G41M-P26 Socket 775 $50

Unfortunately can't find ram for this Chipset lol so idk anymore. All i know is your going to be bottle necked.
May 5, 2012 7:30:49 AM

actually you don't need to build a whole system

upgrading your gpu to a sapphire hd 7850 and getting a g.skill 8gb (2x4GB) 1600Mhz CL9 for ram and your good to go.

but if you really want to.

Intel i3 2120/i5 2500k/2570k sandy bridge (if they are cheaper than ivy)
asrock h61/h67/z77 or z68 extreme3 gen 3 or pro (which ever you want but for the z68 i do advise on getting pro since it's cheaper)
500gb ssd (samsung,seagate,hitachi ain't bad, western digital)
sapphire hd 6850 (your game is not that demanding)
nzxt source 210 elite(those with special stuff) or whatever case you think looks pretty
then a good seasonic/corsair 500w-650w psu and your ready to frag
May 5, 2012 7:32:12 AM

actually yeah he will get a bottleneck but not like it will end his life or something and can always upgrade later since when he upgrade he will mostly replace everything so a 8gb ram now and a 7850 will let him play for a while until he save up extra cash
May 5, 2012 7:37:25 AM

SSD in addition of GPU and RAM is nice too...

edit: it will not make your system faster but it make u feel faster hehehee...
May 5, 2012 7:38:32 AM

Actually yeah that sound a lot better, but really if he would upgrade later whats the point of buying 8gb?
May 5, 2012 7:39:30 AM

Suave145 said:
Actually yeah that sound a lot better, but really if he would upgrade later whats the point of buying 8gb?

So he can take it into the new build later ????...........
May 5, 2012 7:40:33 AM

rdc85 said:
So he can take it into the new build later ????...........

not the ram
May 5, 2012 7:45:25 AM

Suave145 said:
not the ram

+1

i'm forget he is in DDR2 mobo.....

In that case forget the ram........

edit : buy some nice GPU, SSD, and maybe PSU.. u can reuse it in new build later, and replace the old one when u sell/donate your current build.
May 5, 2012 7:57:14 AM

SSD does nothing for gaming load performance, that should be the last thing he buys. Good idea to sell and get some of that money back to replace.

edit edit!: my final suggestion. Get that MSI G41M-P26 LGA 775 -$50 & then go with Team Elite 4GB-$20 . You don't have much of an option with Memory if your on that chipset sorry to say but if you only care about D3 and using the internet, simple stuff you'll be Perfectly Fine. Don't even have to spend a ton. orrrrrrr If you want to see what you could get ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

MSI H67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 -$85
Intel Core i3-2100 $120
G.SKILL Value 4GB(Get x2)$40 for both
+ w/ a Sapphire Radeon hd 7870 -$350
Total of $550
May 5, 2012 8:08:04 AM

Yup .........

SSD is not going to make yours system faster, but once u taste it it hard to go back... (First, i'm don't belive this, but now i will have to say it's true)

If u have money ro burn u may want to consider for ssd.......... (now i'm sound like some store clerck :p  )
May 5, 2012 11:10:35 AM

Ok, so let's see if I got that right.

Option 1) Buy a new graphics card (Sapphire Radeon hd 7870 or 6850) and new Ram (8 GB); danger of getting bottlenecked, whatever that is ~ $400
Option 2) Same, but add new motherboard (MSI H67A-G43) ~$485

How much would the motherboard add to performance?
Also, does it make more sense to buy completely new ram or buy two more 2GB DDR2 (I have 4 slots total).

Thanks again.
May 5, 2012 1:27:58 PM

First all u will need to buy a new GPU, and maybe anew PSU (to power it).... But i doubt u will need one ATI 7000 and nv 600 is energy efficient...

By using new GPU u will get to improvement in games as long as it not CPU dependand (Example: bf3 multiplayer / Starcraft 2)

4 gig of ram is good enough... (except u run numerus aplication in the background), 8 gig is a sweet spot right now but it will not worth it since dd2 price are high and ddr3 is cheap and better. it better to hold on till a new build....

To get another level of improvement u will need to build a new computer..... meaning
a new mobo.....
a new prcessor...
and a new ddr3 ram.........
u still can use PSU, Case, your new GPU, etc but those three will need to change..

The performance increse will be large as large as your budget.......
The most popular build right now is around i5 2500 system, or some older tech around p2 x4/x6..... (it will a waste in my opinion to build around 2 cores. Yours still have some power in it, if u want to replace aim for 4 cores minimum)

mobo with LGA775 socket is dieing no use change to that... LGA 1155 is what u should aim or AMD AM3+ one....
(remember changing mobo with diffrent socket means u need new processor and ram in your case)

If u will build a new one u still can sell/donate your older parts..

And for finishing touch u may add a ssd, it will not increase your game performance. but it will give u lightning speed 'felling'.. once u get used in booting up windows/program in couple of second. u will never want to go back to hdd...

so .....
this i will do : buy new GPU, get a ssd, save money for new build.....
or as the other may sugest : just grab new GPU + build a new system (mobo, proc, ram) with budget 750 forget about ssd
both had one in common Grab a new GPU.....

May 5, 2012 5:26:02 PM

being bottle necked only means that you won't get the full performance of the graphics card and as far as your motherboard if you get a new one your opening up to lets just say a faster system

p.s i just looked over the requirements for d3 you really dont need a super high end gpu & can just get a 6770 $120 your choice.
!