Sign in with
Your question

Bf3 crossfire issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 29, 2012 3:52:35 AM

I am having a lot of trouble with my Radeon Crossfire setup. I have read all over the internet and threads about FXAA, MSAA, Drivers, Caps, AMD CCC. I dont know what all these things are. I need help setting up my crossfire cards. I should just be able to download ONE driver that can configure and set this up, but that would be too easy.

Currently i have the AMD VISION Engine Control Center (Catalyst Version 12.1) Is THIS the CCC that everyone is talking about?

When running BF3, it will start out smooth, but after a couple minutes of play, it starts getting really laggy. I saw that i was getting 30-40 FPS. I got more than that with 1 card installed...

I dont know how to edit FXAA or MSAA.
I dont know how to tell what CAP i am using.

Help please.

More about : bf3 crossfire issues

March 3, 2012 3:53:22 AM

CCC = catalyst control center. MSAA = multisampling anti-aliasing.

I hate to say this but a quick google search on any of those will answer your questions.

What radeon card models are you using?
m
l
March 3, 2012 5:23:09 AM

same here (6850s) but on 0 players servers there is no such lag/stutter, so i think is more network related. some ppl says 8gb of ram solves stutters on bf3, others says from 4 to 12gb changes nothing (own 4gb).

and, there is no way to difference what is lag, suttering o CF micro-stuttering if this exists.

at http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46 there is always new preview/beta drivers
m
l
Related resources
March 3, 2012 12:05:22 PM

rtbrown88 said:
I am having a lot of trouble with my Radeon Crossfire setup. I have read all over the internet and threads about FXAA, MSAA, Drivers, Caps, AMD CCC. I dont know what all these things are. I need help setting up my crossfire cards. I should just be able to download ONE driver that can configure and set this up, but that would be too easy.

Currently i have the AMD VISION Engine Control Center (Catalyst Version 12.1) Is THIS the CCC that everyone is talking about?

When running BF3, it will start out smooth, but after a couple minutes of play, it starts getting really laggy. I saw that i was getting 30-40 FPS. I got more than that with 1 card installed...

Help please.

If you're only getting 30-40 fps, with crossfire, it's going to feel more like 20. This is the nature of the beats with crossfire. Here's an extreme example with quad sli...

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,675353/GPU-benchmark...
m
l
March 3, 2012 1:20:19 PM

well, 0 players is a lot higher fps in a server than say 32 players as well.

i'm not sure about 4gb vs 8gb in bf3, it's still a 32bit app so over 4gb in theory won't do anything.

the op didn't provide enough information about his system really, however he said that his fps was higher with 1 card so he probably needs to start with reinstalling to the latest video card drivers.
m
l
March 3, 2012 2:52:54 PM

lmulder said:
CCC = catalyst control center. MSAA = multisampling anti-aliasing.

I hate to say this but a quick google search on any of those will answer your questions.

What radeon card models are you using?

I have two 6950 HD's. They each have 2 Gigs of RAM on them, and I have 16 Gigs of system RAM. I HAVE done google searches on those acronyms, but i cant find anything that really explains what they are. When i google CCC, it pulls ups the AMD VISION Engine Control Center
m
l
March 3, 2012 2:54:16 PM

lmulder said:
If you're only getting 30-40 fps, with crossfire, it's going to feel more like 20. This is the nature of the beats with crossfire. Here's an extreme example with quad sli...

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,675353/GPU-benchmark...

I spoke with another player who was in a server and he said he was getting 120 FPS with 1 6950 and the settings on High. The point is, i should be getting way more than 30-40 FPS
m
l
March 3, 2012 10:08:09 PM

can't be 120 fps with one 6950, maybe he says max fps.

according to this one 6950 gets about 60 fps on high

i get 60-80 fps on high (when i dont have lag/stutter) with my 6850 cf, in a bad server goes to 24-30 fps

im using 8.96-120214a-[Guru3D.com] drivers, i've been testing various drivers from december, this one works very good with CF setup on bf3
m
l
March 3, 2012 10:47:14 PM

Over 4GB of ram makes a huge difference in BF3 especially with xfire or SLI, your game play will be a lot smoother and it will get rid of the stutter and lag, Im saying this from experience , I had lag and stutter having only 4gb of ram on my SLI setup for BF3 , once I upgraded my ram to 8GB the difference was huge.
m
l
March 6, 2012 8:20:46 PM

tinnitus said:
can't be 120 fps with one 6950, maybe he says max fps.

according to this one 6950 gets about 60 fps on high

http://media.bestofmicro.com/Y/N/313583/original/amd%20high%201920.png

i get 60-80 fps on high (when i dont have lag/stutter) with my 6850 cf, in a bad server goes to 24-30 fps

im using 8.96-120214a-[Guru3D.com] drivers, i've been testing various drivers from december, this one works very good with CF setup on bf3

I am downloading the drivers now. I will install them and let you know if they fix the issues...
m
l
March 6, 2012 9:07:38 PM

So i tried other drivers and it made the FPS even lower, with higher gpu temp...now what?
m
l
March 6, 2012 11:08:34 PM

did u uninstall old catalyst?
m
l
March 7, 2012 4:23:00 AM

rtbrown88 said:

Help please.

for starters,how about your COMPLETE system specs(otherwise its just guessing)
m
l
March 8, 2012 2:20:51 AM

tinnitus said:
did u uninstall old catalyst?

Yes, i uninstalled the version i had and reinstalled the other version
m
l
March 8, 2012 2:23:15 AM

Earnie said:

16 Gig RAM
AMD FX 6100 (6 cores)
2 AMD Radeon HD 6950's

Windows 7 ultimate
m
l
March 22, 2012 7:35:54 AM

Earnie said:

1-uninstall ccc and profiles,shut down
2-remove second card and reboot
3-install latest drivers(12.1) and profiles(11.12 cap2),shut down
4-install second card and reboot.

remove second card you mean remove from PCI-E slot ? or from device manager.. ??
m
l
April 5, 2012 4:57:41 AM

remove from pcie slot
m
l
August 30, 2012 7:58:34 AM

monsta said:
Over 4GB of ram makes a huge difference in BF3 especially with xfire or SLI, your game play will be a lot smoother and it will get rid of the stutter and lag, Im saying this from experience , I had lag and stutter having only 4gb of ram on my SLI setup for BF3 , once I upgraded my ram to 8GB the difference was huge.

I totally agree with this as I have done exactly the same, I have 2 6950's and had 4gb of ddr3, I could not play multiplayer bf3 on ultra but as soon as I installed the extra 4gb the difference was huge. I has able to play on high with 4gb but not ultra as I was experiencing lots of lag, I have had lots of experience regarding this, fresh builds, different slots for my video cards etc. All I can say after days of config is install the latest Catalyst and everything should be fine, I use no application profiles.
m
l
!