Canon EOS-20D concern before purchase

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 30, 2005 2:41:26 PM

Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?

I have read that some owners' cameras freeze up but I didn't know if
that was resolved or not lately? Did that have to do with the
firmware because I read something about the 20D's firmware? If not, do
you know what was/is the problem causing it?

Inotherwords, do I still need to be concerned about this issue if I
were to purchase the EOS 20D next month? And if I buy on line, who
are the most reputable vendors (especially for returns) ?

thanks all
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 3:06:41 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:41:26 -0500, RT wrote:

>Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
>
>I have read that some owners' cameras freeze up but I didn't know if
>that was resolved or not lately? Did that have to do with the
>firmware because I read something about the 20D's firmware? If not, do
>you know what was/is the problem causing it?
>
>Inotherwords, do I still need to be concerned about this issue if I
>were to purchase the EOS 20D next month? And if I buy on line, who
>are the most reputable vendors (especially for returns) ?

Why not just look at the different fixes in the firmware?

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos20d/eos20d_firmware-e.ht...

Yes, the following improvements from the previous version are
included:

Version 1.0.4/1.0.5 changes:

1. Fixes the problem of shutter release not working.
2. Improves reliability when using some CF cards.
3. Improvements in the firmware update program itself.

Version 1.1.0 changes:

1. Three new languages (Russian, Korean, and Traditional Chinese)
have been added to the camera menus.

Three new languages have been added to the 12 current ones, for a
total of 15 supported languages.

2. The phenomenon of horizontal line noise appearing in images
taken at high ISO settings while using the internal flash has been
fixed.

The issue with horizontal line noise appearing in shots taken at
high ISO settings (ISO800, ISO1600, etc.) while using the internal
flash has been fixed.

"A state, is called the coldest of all cold monsters.
Coldly lieth it also; and this lie creepeth from its
mouth: "I, the state, am the people." "

_Thus Spake Zarathusttra_
by Friedrich Nietzsche
Chapter XI
The New Idol
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 7:57:51 PM

RT wrote:
> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
>
> I have read that some owners' cameras freeze up but I didn't know if
> that was resolved or not lately? Did that have to do with the
> firmware because I read something about the 20D's firmware? If not, do
> you know what was/is the problem causing it?
>
> Inotherwords, do I still need to be concerned about this issue if I
> were to purchase the EOS 20D next month? And if I buy on line, who
> are the most reputable vendors (especially for returns) ?
>
> thanks all

I have had the 20D for months and never had any problems. I have shot
thousands of pix so far.
June 30, 2005 8:26:06 PM

<RT> wrote in message news:n148c1hg0nb5etp7utr6mro304upranifb@4ax.com...
> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?

I don't know.

> I have read that some owners' cameras freeze up but I didn't know if
> that was resolved or not lately? Did that have to do with the
> firmware because I read something about the 20D's firmware? If not, do
> you know what was/is the problem causing it?

There was a firmware issue and the revised firmware did correct the problem
in some cases.

> Inotherwords, do I still need to be concerned about this issue if I
> were to purchase the EOS 20D next month?

Probably not. I am still experiencing lockups, have the latest firmware,
and never use a battery grip. My problem seems to be related to one lens (a
100-400 IS). Other users have also reported lockups when using IS lenses.
However, it seems to be a rather rare problem.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 9:17:59 PM

Yes! read Johns link on the software updates.
Some people were experiencing Lock-ups on the early models but, saying that,
I have had my 20D for almost a year now - and never experienced any faults
whatsoever.
As far as purchasing the 20D goes, I had a second-one last week from Jessops
for £900. I have seen cheaper-slightly but, these people who sell cheaper
are more than likely Imported goods. So, go to Jessops, and they have a
price promise if you find cheaper.
Regards
mike
www.mikezite.co.uk

"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:41:26 -0500, RT wrote:
>
> >Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
> >
> >I have read that some owners' cameras freeze up but I didn't know if
> >that was resolved or not lately? Did that have to do with the
> >firmware because I read something about the 20D's firmware? If not, do
> >you know what was/is the problem causing it?
> >
> >Inotherwords, do I still need to be concerned about this issue if I
> >were to purchase the EOS 20D next month? And if I buy on line, who
> >are the most reputable vendors (especially for returns) ?
>
> Why not just look at the different fixes in the firmware?
>
> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos20d/eos20d_firmware-e.ht...
>
> Yes, the following improvements from the previous version are
> included:
>
> Version 1.0.4/1.0.5 changes:
>
> 1. Fixes the problem of shutter release not working.
> 2. Improves reliability when using some CF cards.
> 3. Improvements in the firmware update program itself.
>
> Version 1.1.0 changes:
>
> 1. Three new languages (Russian, Korean, and Traditional Chinese)
> have been added to the camera menus.
>
> Three new languages have been added to the 12 current ones, for a
> total of 15 supported languages.
>
> 2. The phenomenon of horizontal line noise appearing in images
> taken at high ISO settings while using the internal flash has been
> fixed.
>
> The issue with horizontal line noise appearing in shots taken at
> high ISO settings (ISO800, ISO1600, etc.) while using the internal
> flash has been fixed.

> "A state, is called the coldest of all cold monsters.
> Coldly lieth it also; and this lie creepeth from its
> mouth: "I, the state, am the people." "
>
> _Thus Spake Zarathusttra_
> by Friedrich Nietzsche
> Chapter XI
> The New Idol
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 9:18:00 PM

I had one lockup from using this camera. I really didn't know it was a
bathroom window I was shooting through but anyway I made bail just fine.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 9:51:18 PM

<RT> wrote in message news:n148c1hg0nb5etp7utr6mro304upranifb@4ax.com...
> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?

The biggest problem is when using the vertical grip / battery holder. Many
users have had severe problems with this piece of kit, requiring the camera
to be switched off then on again or even battery removal. I believe Canon
have sorted it though on new stock.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 9:51:19 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:51:18 GMT, "RustY©" <No.Mail@All.Thanks> wrote:

><RT> wrote in message news:n148c1hg0nb5etp7utr6mro304upranifb@4ax.com...
>> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
>>

>The biggest problem is when using the vertical grip / battery holder. Many
>users have had severe problems with this piece of kit, requiring the camera
>to be switched off then on again or even battery removal. I believe Canon
>have sorted it though on new stock.

Canon has addressed this problem.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=PgComSm...

April 27, 2005

To customers using the BG-E2 battery grip with an EOS 20D digital SLR
camera:

Thank you for using Canon products.

We have confirmed that the BG-E2 battery grip for the EOS 20D digital
SLR camera causes issues such as the number of shots being limited or
a low-battery warning being displayed immediately when used with a
fully charged battery pack or a fresh set of AA batteries. Canon
offers its sincerest apologies to all customers who have been
inconvenienced by this issue.

Starting at the end of May, we plan to offer repairs free of charge
for all BG-E2 battery grips that are affected by this issue. The
starting date and more detailed information will be announced soon.
With sincere regret for the inconvenience this represents for our
users, we ask for your patience until that announcement can be made.

We spare no effort in our quality control process, to make sure our
customers can use our products with confidence. Please accept our
thanks in advance for your patience and understanding.

Inquiries about this issue should be directed to:

BG-E2 Call Center
1-800-828-4040 (toll-free)

Business Hours
Weekdays: 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Saturdays, holidays: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

"A state, is called the coldest of all cold monsters.
Coldly lieth it also; and this lie creepeth from its
mouth: "I, the state, am the people." "

_Thus Spake Zarathusttra_
by Friedrich Nietzsche
Chapter XI
The New Idol
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:06:18 PM

On 6/30/05 10:41 AM, in article n148c1hg0nb5etp7utr6mro304upranifb@4ax.com,
"RT" <RT> wrote:

> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
>
> I have read that some owners' cameras freeze up but I didn't know if
> that was resolved or not lately? Did that have to do with the
> firmware because I read something about the 20D's firmware? If not, do
> you know what was/is the problem causing it?
>
> Inotherwords, do I still need to be concerned about this issue if I
> were to purchase the EOS 20D next month? And if I buy on line, who
> are the most reputable vendors (especially for returns) ?
>
> thanks all

I have had a 20D for almost a year and never had a lockup! I have always
updated to the latest firmware so maybe it would have happened if I had not
updated but the point is that a few complaints does not make it a universal
problem.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:48:46 PM

RustY© wrote:
> <RT> wrote in message
>> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
>>

> The biggest problem is when using the vertical grip / battery holder.
> Many users have had severe problems with this piece of kit, requiring
> the camera to be switched off then on again or even battery removal.
> I believe Canon have sorted it though on new stock.

Interesting. I have had mine (with the battery grip) for about a year
and not one lockup. But then maybe I was just lucky.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:54:30 PM

"RustY©" <No.Mail@All.Thanks> wrote in message

> <RT> wrote in message news:n148c1hg0nb5etp7utr6mro304upranifb@4ax.com...
>> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
>>

> The biggest problem is when using the vertical grip / battery holder.
> Many
> users have had severe problems with this piece of kit, requiring the
> camera
> to be switched off then on again or even battery removal. I believe Canon
> have sorted it though on new stock.

Did they fix the grip or the camera?
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:54:31 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:54:30 GMT, "Dave R knows who"
<kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote:

>"RustY©" <No.Mail@All.Thanks> wrote in message
>>
>> <RT> wrote in message news:n148c1hg0nb5etp7utr6mro304upranifb@4ax.com...
>>> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
>>>

>> The biggest problem is when using the vertical grip / battery holder.
>> Many
>> users have had severe problems with this piece of kit, requiring the
>> camera
>> to be switched off then on again or even battery removal. I believe Canon
>> have sorted it though on new stock.
>>

>Did they fix the grip or the camera?

The grip was the problem. They fixed it.

"A state, is called the coldest of all cold monsters.
Coldly lieth it also; and this lie creepeth from its
mouth: "I, the state, am the people." "

_Thus Spake Zarathusttra_
by Friedrich Nietzsche
Chapter XI
The New Idol
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 5:35:06 AM

In message <n148c1hg0nb5etp7utr6mro304upranifb@4ax.com>,
RT wrote:

>Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?

I have an October 2004 20D, and it has only locked up on me one
afternoon during the use of one particular battery; an old and very-used
battery. On no other days and on no other uses of that battery or any
other battery has it locked up. I am up to folder 252 canon, which
means I have taken 15,200 images.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 10:52:14 AM

RT wrote:
> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
>
> I have read that some owners' cameras freeze up but I didn't know if
> that was resolved or not lately? Did that have to do with the
> firmware because I read something about the 20D's firmware? If not, do
> you know what was/is the problem causing it?
>
> Inotherwords, do I still need to be concerned about this issue if I
> were to purchase the EOS 20D next month? And if I buy on line, who
> are the most reputable vendors (especially for returns) ?
>
> thanks all

My 20Ds all locked up on changing the lens but upgrading the firmware
fixed the problem... Until I bought some 580 EX Speedlights! One after
the other, they locked up with the speedlights set to ETTL and the
camera set to 1/250th sync on Av mode. Canon have no answer, there are
no further firmware upgrades and the problem is very specific.
Thankfully it doesn't happen with my 1d Mk II.

This really is piss poor stuff from a company confessing to want market
share at any cost. I personally am seriously evaluating dumping my
entire Canon camera collection and buying Nikon or Olympus.

The deception Canon pulled in claiming the 20D had superior low light
performance when all they did was include a really poor de noising
routine to ISO 200 and higher pictures is pretty pathetic. Use high ISO
at the risk of lost detail.

I speak from Professional use. There is no reason to believe a private
user could not accept an occasional lockup and the detail loss at high
ISO is really only noticeable with very big poster prints. This makes up
a lot of my business so I am proportionally more dissatisfied than most.

Douglas
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 10:52:15 AM

In message <42c45b81$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au>,
Ryadia <just@the.group> wrote:

>The deception Canon pulled in claiming the 20D had superior low light
>performance when all they did was include a really poor de noising
>routine to ISO 200 and higher pictures is pretty pathetic. Use high ISO
>at the risk of lost detail.

You keep saying this, but I have yet to see any evidence of it. The
noise in my 20D RAW data looks like real noise to me, and when I use
something that reduces noise on the images, detail drops away. Detail
that was *there*, mixed with noise.

The real test would be to take the same shot with two cameras, with a
sharp t-mount lens, both set to ISO 1600, and both set to use the same
aperture and shutter speed, and see how the detail compares.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:16:45 PM

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 06:41:26 +0000 (UTC), "Joe" <sorry@noemail.com>
wrote:

>Hi, The lockup problem was caused in some cases by using Lexar 80x cf cards,
>Lexar are changing all cards
>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05061001lexar_80xcard...

The Lexar problem had nothing to do with lock up. It was about lost
images.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0505/05052001canonlexarale...

"A state, is called the coldest of all cold monsters.
Coldly lieth it also; and this lie creepeth from its
mouth: "I, the state, am the people." "

_Thus Spake Zarathusttra_
by Friedrich Nietzsche
Chapter XI
The New Idol
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 2:47:49 PM

Here is my scenario:

1. 20D with 17-85 IS USM
2. Sandisk 1gig Ultra II
3. Shooting in continuous mode
4. Shooting in AI SERVO mode
5. Stopping inbetween to rezoom (camera downloading to CF card)
6. ERR99 when I try to continue shots

Have had the camera since April and no problems at all except for this one
situation. 99% of the time I shot in one shot focus and non-continuous.

My speculation is that there is some issue in regards to trying to read and
write at the same time as well as communicate to the lens during ai servo
mode. More like processing than any particular hardware issue. I know that I
have read many postings about CF cards, IS, pins on the lens, firmware
etc....and believe it to be more in regards to how the camera itself can
multi task and handle complex situations. The power users in the group may
experience this more (not that the casual user wont). If anyone wants to
help me with my thoughts by testing in the above way and see if it happens
more so than not, I'd be interested to hear about the results. If more folks
say that it just happens doing simple point and shoot, then I declare I
would be stumped.

> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 06:41:26 +0000 (UTC), "Joe" <sorry@noemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi, The lockup problem was caused in some cases by using Lexar 80x cf
>>cards,
>>Lexar are changing all cards
>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05061001lexar_80xcard...
>>

> The Lexar problem had nothing to do with lock up. It was about lost
> images.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0505/05052001canonlexarale...

> "A state, is called the coldest of all cold monsters.
> Coldly lieth it also; and this lie creepeth from its
> mouth: "I, the state, am the people." "
>
> _Thus Spake Zarathusttra_
> by Friedrich Nietzsche
> Chapter XI
> The New Idol
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 3:19:22 PM

<RT> wrote in message news:n148c1hg0nb5etp7utr6mro304upranifb@4ax.com...
> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
>
> I have read that some owners' cameras freeze up but I didn't know if
> that was resolved or not lately? Did that have to do with the
> firmware because I read something about the 20D's firmware? If not, do
> you know what was/is the problem causing it?
>
> Inotherwords, do I still need to be concerned about this issue if I
> were to purchase the EOS 20D next month? And if I buy on line, who
> are the most reputable vendors (especially for returns) ?
>
> thanks all

I've just received a letter from Canon, they have replaced the pin assembly
and the cf slot at no charge. There appeared no physical damage and
certainly no bent pins. I was having sporadic lockups and CF read errors,
usually only whilst changing CF cards during long sessions. If I left the
camera off for 10 miutes or so, the card would read ok.

I'll pick up the camera today. This weekend will be spent trying to repeat
the problem. If all goes well, I'll be singing this camera's praises
following 6 months of use. If not, I'll be posting a $#1+ - bucket.

Dave
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 8:43:12 PM

Ed,
I had the same problem with my 20d and the 70-300mm lens.
I would shoot about 8 to 10 photos and the camera would lock up and I would get
the ERR99 message. This only occurred with the 70-300mm lens.
I sent the lens in for service and Cannon said they replaced the IS lens unit.
The lens and camera now work fine.

Nath

Ed Velez wrote:

> Here is my scenario:
>
> 1. 20D with 17-85 IS USM
> 2. Sandisk 1gig Ultra II
> 3. Shooting in continuous mode
> 4. Shooting in AI SERVO mode
> 5. Stopping inbetween to rezoom (camera downloading to CF card)
> 6. ERR99 when I try to continue shots
>
> Have had the camera since April and no problems at all except for this one
> situation. 99% of the time I shot in one shot focus and non-continuous.
>
> My speculation is that there is some issue in regards to trying to read and
> write at the same time as well as communicate to the lens during ai servo
> mode. More like processing than any particular hardware issue. I know that I
> have read many postings about CF cards, IS, pins on the lens, firmware
> etc....and believe it to be more in regards to how the camera itself can
> multi task and handle complex situations. The power users in the group may
> experience this more (not that the casual user wont). If anyone wants to
> help me with my thoughts by testing in the above way and see if it happens
> more so than not, I'd be interested to hear about the results. If more folks
> say that it just happens doing simple point and shoot, then I declare I
> would be stumped.
>

> "John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>>On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 06:41:26 +0000 (UTC), "Joe" <sorry@noemail.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Hi, The lockup problem was caused in some cases by using Lexar 80x cf
>>>cards,
>>>Lexar are changing all cards
>>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05061001lexar_80xcard...
>>>

>>The Lexar problem had nothing to do with lock up. It was about lost
>>images.
>>
>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0505/05052001canonlexarale...
>>

>>*********************************************************
>>
>>"A state, is called the coldest of all cold monsters.
>>Coldly lieth it also; and this lie creepeth from its
>>mouth: "I, the state, am the people." "
>>
>> _Thus Spake Zarathusttra_
>> by Friedrich Nietzsche
>> Chapter XI
>> The New Idol

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 1:50:04 AM

Considering I only have an IS lens at the moment, would be interesting to
see if I used a non-IS lens if it would come back or not.

Makes me wonder now if I want to go with the 70-200 IS USM or get it without
the IS.

I did try the ole, twist and reseat of the lens just to be sure. Will see
how it goes. I have a wedding to shoot tomorrow (non-professional mode).

Might be the signals coming from the autofocus or IS that the camera cannot
understand, does not know what to do and just throws up its hands.

"nk" <nbkaplan@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Ed,
> I had the same problem with my 20d and the 70-300mm lens.
> I would shoot about 8 to 10 photos and the camera would lock up and I
> would get the ERR99 message. This only occurred with the 70-300mm lens.
> I sent the lens in for service and Cannon said they replaced the IS lens
> unit. The lens and camera now work fine.
>
> Nath
>
> Ed Velez wrote:
>
>> Here is my scenario:
>>
>> 1. 20D with 17-85 IS USM
>> 2. Sandisk 1gig Ultra II
>> 3. Shooting in continuous mode
>> 4. Shooting in AI SERVO mode
>> 5. Stopping inbetween to rezoom (camera downloading to CF card)
>> 6. ERR99 when I try to continue shots
>>
>> Have had the camera since April and no problems at all except for this
>> one situation. 99% of the time I shot in one shot focus and
>> non-continuous.
>>
>> My speculation is that there is some issue in regards to trying to read
>> and write at the same time as well as communicate to the lens during ai
>> servo mode. More like processing than any particular hardware issue. I
>> know that I have read many postings about CF cards, IS, pins on the lens,
>> firmware etc....and believe it to be more in regards to how the camera
>> itself can multi task and handle complex situations. The power users in
>> the group may experience this more (not that the casual user wont). If
>> anyone wants to help me with my thoughts by testing in the above way and
>> see if it happens more so than not, I'd be interested to hear about the
>> results. If more folks say that it just happens doing simple point and
>> shoot, then I declare I would be stumped.
>>

>> "John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>>The Lexar problem had nothing to do with lock up. It was about lost
>>>images.
>>>
>>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0505/05052001canonlexarale...
>>>

>>>*********************************************************
>>>
>>>"A state, is called the coldest of all cold monsters.
>>>Coldly lieth it also; and this lie creepeth from its
>>>mouth: "I, the state, am the people." "
>>>
>>> _Thus Spake Zarathusttra_
>>> by Friedrich Nietzsche
>>> Chapter XI
>>> The New Idol

July 2, 2005 12:34:09 PM

> I have an October 2004 20D, and it has only locked up on me one
> afternoon during the use of one particular battery; an old and very-used
> battery. On no other days and on no other uses of that battery or any
> other battery has it locked up. I am up to folder 252 canon, which
> means I have taken 15,200 images.
> --
I'm a very heavy 20D user, about 30000 images in the last 6 months, but I
don't keep track any more. My body has frozen maybe 3 times, almost always
when the battery was very low or close to running out (I don't use the
batter grip). I don't think this points to any camera fault as such. It
doesn't bother me at all.

JJ
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 3:57:33 PM

"JohnJ" <noreply@pobox.com> wrote in message

>> I have an October 2004 20D, and it has only locked up on me one
>> afternoon during the use of one particular battery; an old and very-used
>> battery. On no other days and on no other uses of that battery or any
>> other battery has it locked up. I am up to folder 252 canon, which
>> means I have taken 15,200 images.
>> --
> I'm a very heavy 20D user, about 30000 images in the last 6 months, but I
> don't keep track any more. My body has frozen maybe 3 times, almost always
> when the battery was very low or close to running out (I don't use the
> batter grip). I don't think this points to any camera fault as such. It
> doesn't bother me at all.
>
> JJ

After getting my 20D back yesterday from Canon because of locking and CF
read problems, I've just taken 400+ shots this morning, RAW+large JPG, using
A-DEP AV P and "action" modes with 3 different teles, AI servo the lot.

The camera performed faultlessly. The problem happened a few times over 6
months. My photos are pretty average, nothing new there and not the
Camera's fault :-)

With high volume products there will always be some problems here and there.
It depends how the Co performs when it happens. I'm happy so far.

Dave
!