Closed Solved

Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

Hi there im runnning windows 7 ultimate 64bit ed, i have 2 4gb ddr3 chips wich gives me total of 12gb ram windows shows that i have 12gb but only 2gb usable why is that can you help please ?
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows ultimate 64bit
  1. dont you mean 2gb availible/free?

windows uses spare ram to run things like the pagefile

when your computer needs the ram it will free it
  2. 2 x 4gb DDR3 ram chips = 8 gb.....
  3. ddr3 is the ram speed
  4. What is your BIOS showing you?
  5. Hi sorry my mistake i meant 3 x 4GB Modules .Windows shows me 12GB and (3.19GB) usable.

thanks for quick reply..
  6. WR2 said:
    What is your BIOS showing you?

My Bios shows 12GB.
  7. Do you have any VM's running?
    Or any other programs/devices needing dedicated RAM?
  8. Try each DIMM, one at a time, in one slot.
  9. WR2 said:
    Do you have any VM's running?
    Or any other programs/devices needing dedicated RAM?

I have just done a clean install of the os.
    And directly after its done installing i check my computer properties and shows me 12GB but only 3.19 usable, nothing else installed.
  10. Best answer
    Already done a Windows update?
    Do that and check again.
  11. will do un update thanks.
  12. Its definitely 64bit?

If it is try the following
    Right click My Computer - > Properties -> Advanced properties (on the left bar)
    Performance Options -> Advanced -> Change

Make sure the virtual memory is set to system managed
  13. Sounds more like 32-bit as this has a limit of 4GB minus memory space reserved for video cards and other devices.
  14. Yes, I agree with das_stig. I believe all copies of windows 7 (except maybe home basic edition) include both a 32 and 64 bit version to install you just have to choose which version you would like in the windows installation process. Sorry I do not know exactly when it asks this as it has been a while since I have installed it.

To be positive you have the 32 bit version installed go to the control panel and click on system there it should show your windows version x64 or x32.
  15. PartialGenious said:
    Yes, I agree with das_stig. I believe all copies of windows 7 (except maybe home basic edition) include both a 32 and 64 bit version to install you just have to choose which version you would like in the windows installation process. Sorry I do not know exactly when it asks this as it has been a while since I have installed it.

To be positive you have the 32 bit version installed go to the control panel and click on system there it should show your windows version x64 or x32.

here is a snap of my properties.
    http://www.4shared.com/photo/eYEHvoBv/my_properties.html
    could it maybe be something in bios like memory mapping enabled or disabled causing this.

16. Or it could be the fact your running a custom version of windows...
    Go ask over on there forums.
  17. We do not support piracy on Tom's Hardware.
  18. This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
  19. Best answer selected by nikorr.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 RAM DDR3