Sign in with
Your question

No signs of life. PSU dead? Mobo dead? Any insight?

Last response: in Components
August 19, 2012 7:37:05 PM

Hi all,

I've run into a bit of a problem with my ~3.5 year old desktop computer. After coming home from university, my parents told me that my computer just stopped turning on. As in, no power at all, no POST, no nothing. I googled it, found the easiest thing to try (which was switching the power cords from the monitor to the tower) and somehow it worked. Both the monitor and tower turned on without a hitch, and continued to work for 3 or so weeks. This made no sense to me but I was too lazy to look into it further so I just went with it..

Fast forward to after my 3 week vacation, approximately 2 months after the initial problem: computer won't turn on again, exact same symptoms. But this time switching the power cords (and using new ones) doesn't do anything. Here's a list of things I've tried now besides that:

1. Shorted PSU using the "paperclip method" with the green and black wires. This works, but of course it working doesn't say much about the PSU's functionality beyond PS_ON working.

2. Removed everything except bare minimum and tried to start. No go.

3. Shorted front panel power button pins, both with a screwdriver and with just swapping in the reset button. Both don't do anything.

4. Removed dust and stuff. Nothing.

5. Cleared CMOS. Nothing.

6. Removed memory, tried 1 stick, tried swapping sticks position, tried no sticks. Nothing.

7. "Discharged" mobo by removing power and jamming the power button for a minute or so, and then trying to power on again. Nothing.

I currently don't have access to a spare motherboard or PSU, so I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do. I am pretty sure a multimeter will give me a definite enough answer to my problem, but that's about $20-$30 for something I will rarely use. Any further suggestions before I go and purchase one?

Ah, almost forgot. Rough specs of my computer:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
EVGA NVIDIA GTX 260 SSC
Gigabyte motherboard (I'll get exact model later)
2x 2GB sticks of DDR2 OCZ RAM
Seagate HDD, 250GB
Silverstone 600W PSU (pretty quality if I remember the reviews correctly..)

Thanks in advance everyone!
a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 7:45:03 PM

Hi there, The CMOS battery may be low on power.
I would try to replace the battery ... 2032CR model
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 7:46:57 PM

U can try to use another PSU and RAM, to see if the result is the same.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 7:47:38 PM

I would reseat the RAM sticks.
m
l
!